Community
Wiki Posts
Search

380 or 777 in F from LHR-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Choose CX or QR via Doha if not too much of a problem.

BA F is of course a great product - compared to other travel classes - but heavily depending on the crew you get so do yourself a favour and have high but reasonable expectations.

Also worth to note that QR Q suites will provide you a superior experience in J (other frequent fliers can challenge me on this one) compared to BA F, so I would consider to save the money on the flight, buy a J Qatar ticket, and splash out the money on a great hotel room in HKG (in example in the Ritz Carlton).

The above would be my choice but of course, you have your own considerations I guess. Anyway have a good flight!
HKG in F is one of the rare case when I am quite happy with BA and I would not choose QR and a Doha stop. A long night flight, a good plane (A380) and in 5 single flights - two as couple and three as family of 4 - I never had crew issues.
I don't know for CX. I would really like to try its F (wishful thinking, as I don't think I'll be able to - too many Avios needed, too high the cash price) however, a said before, I like BA to/from HKG.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Only for the next few days.
Is it swapping? Summer timetable I guess? Then it becomes a no-brainer!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Is it swapping? Summer timetable I guess?
Less a case of it swapping now than of the (apparently temporary) swap this season coming to an end with the end of the season.

There have been no signs yet of the swap being reintroduced for NW 2019/20.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:28 am

I would choose QR / Q suites over BA F, even on an A380.....
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
I've got a soft spot for the Harbour Grand (on HK Island, near Causeway). The Club rooms have good views over the harbour, afternoon snacks and drinks, and it's very convenient for the MTR. It's not one of the prestige luxury brands yet it is very pleasant, the staff are nice, and the prices are not stratospheric.

GIven a choice I would fly there on the A380, in any cabin.
+1 for Harbour Grand. It’s 5 mins walk from Fortress Hill MTR and trams towards Causeway Bay/ Wan Chai and half the price of the more central hotels. The views are great and if you take a Club room, you can enjoy the lounge, happy hour cocktails and breakfast.

Of course, if money is no object then do look at Upper House, Murray and the 4S/MO/Pen but if not would very much recommend HG. We had 4 nights there last week so our recent experience is still very positive.

Our final night at Ritz Carlton was a nice treat and while it’s a great hotel in every way, especially with Club access, the location is rather out on a limb and I suspect the two elevators and a taxi or long walk to MTR would get tiresome fairly quickly if you are going to see the sights rather than relax in a hotel. Clearly it’s a cut above the Harbour Grand but I think we got the balance right at 4:1, with final night before flight AT RC.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by BobServant

+1 for Harbour Grand. It’s 5 mins walk from Fortress Hill MTR and trams towards Causeway Bay/ Wan Chai and half the price of the more central hotels. The views are great and if you take a Club room, you can enjoy the lounge, happy hour cocktails and breakfast.

Of course, if money is no object then do look at Upper House, Murray and the 4S/MO/Pen but if not would very much recommend HG. We had 4 nights there last week so our recent experience is still very positive.

Our final night at Ritz Carlton was a nice treat and while it’s a great hotel in every way, especially with Club access, the location is rather out on a limb and I suspect the two elevators and a taxi or long walk to MTR would get tiresome fairly quickly if you are going to see the sights rather than relax in a hotel. Clearly it’s a cut above the Harbour Grand but I think we got the balance right at 4:1, with final night before flight AT RC.
There is also a Harbour Grand on Kowloon side which is a bit of a hidden gem now the MTR has opened up next to it. Being that side of the water the views are fantastic and it's a bit more like 'real' Hong Kong.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If you are likely to travel around, then I enjoy using the public transport in Hong Kong.
Once you know you will use public transport, then Harbour Grand is a great choice.
However, it is not like Pacific Place - strolling from there is possible. Strolling from Harbour Grand is not so interesting.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Rosewood has only just opened on Kowloon side to superb reviews, may be some deals?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Could someone point me to a site / guide to HK? I know nothing at all about the place, but quite fancy a trip there for a few days having seen bits on the telly. Not fussed on shopping, just walking / sights / the real HK would be good for us.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by endoman
Could someone point me to a site / guide to HK? I know nothing at all about the place, but quite fancy a trip there for a few days having seen bits on the telly. Not fussed on shopping, just walking / sights / the real HK would be good for us.
Hi

The Hong Kong forum here on FT offers excellent advice;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/

I do like the Lonely planet guide books and DK Eyewitness guide books.

Also I was there in the 1st week of December 2018 and loved all the christmas decorations

Also the official tourist site

Discover Hong Kong - Official Travel Guide from the Hong Kong Tourism Board

Regards

TBS
endoman and Padmeister like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
Plenty of hotels, so so many at all different price levels but for what its worth I've stayed at The Cordis in Mongkok (formerly The Langham in Mongkok) a fair few times over the years last time in November last year for a week.

Wonderful staff, service, food, rooms especially the club floor rooms. The hotel is linked to a huge mall which the MTR is easily accessed from from the centre.

I'd also choose the A380 too.

The Cordis was one of the best city hotels I’ve stayed in. Loved it
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:30 pm

A380 for sure
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Whyone
I would choose QR / Q suites over BA F, even on an A380.....
I'm always intrigued why on an overnight sector which is about the right length for dinner, a sleep & breakfast, some on FT regard BA as so bad (or QR so much better) that they would go through the middle of the night disruption and extra journey time of an intermediate stop in Doha? I tried it once with EK/DXB and never again for me!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
I'm always intrigued why on an overnight sector which is about the right length for dinner, a sleep & breakfast, some on FT regard BA as so bad (or QR so much better) that they would go through the middle of the night disruption and extra journey time of an intermediate stop in Doha? I tried it once with EK/DXB and never again for me!
Obviously I can't speak for others, but from my perspective, my last couple of journeys in BA F (one of which cost just shy of £10k) have been variously blighted by an inoperable seat, lack of power needed to work, a flaky in flight entertainment system, an uncomfortably hot cabin and mediocre food. Whereas during my recent journeys in Q suites (7 or 8 in the last 4 months) I have been as comfortable and content as is possible.

For me, this experience trumps the time / disruption inconveniences.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:30 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

In Hong Kong, I find the Mandarin Oriental on Connaught Rd to be the best hotel, particularly much better than The Peninsula. The Mandarin's location is just great, and I love the rooms and pretty much everything about it. The Peninsula on the other hand, is on the wrong side of the harbour, and doesn't quite have the same exclusive feel with the Mandarin. The lobby is crowded with afternoon tea goers, the staff are stressed during these times too. Also got pretty bad service at the Pen as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.