Using BA Avios To Book EI Short Haul

Reply

Old Mar 20, 19, 7:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 439
Using BA Avios To Book EI Short Haul

Hi guys

Just wondering how you book EI short haul using BA Avios and how you know availability?

Specifically Im looking DUB-NCL/MAN/EDI on 10 May returning 12th
andymcdonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:15 am
  #2  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 37,724
The way it works on Aer Lingus is that on short haul it is generally best to go cash. They don't have RFS, and by the time you add in charges you end up paying more than the cash fare. Admittedly you do get flexibility on the Avios redemption whereas the cash Saver fares are not refundable.

So this example is actually a case in point. There is no availability on NCL or EDI, where cash fares are already high, and there is Avios available on MAN services (EI 202 = 7 seats; EI 208 = 4 seats / EI 203 = 7 seats) where the fares are currently fairly moderate.

The way to find this out is to have an Aer Lingus account, or to call up BAEC. ExpertFlyer also shows their "T" bucket used for redemptions.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:20 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The way it works on Aer Lingus is that on short haul it is generally best to go cash. They don't have RFS, and by the time you add in charges you end up paying more than the cash fare. Admittedly you do get flexibility on the Avios redemption whereas the cash Saver fares are not refundable.

So this example is actually a case in point. There is no availability on NCL or EDI, where cash fares are already high, and there is Avios available on MAN services (EI 202 = 7 seats; EI 208 = 4 seats / EI 203 = 7 seats) where the fares are currently fairly moderate.

The way to find this out is to have an Aer Lingus account, or to call up BAEC. ExpertFlyer also shows their "T" bucket used for redemptions.
Thanks for that CWS. I was trying to cheat the system somewhat. As you say fares to NCL are high for those dates due to the Heineken cup final and I thought Avios fares might be a way around
andymcdonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:34 am
  #4  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 37,724
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
Thanks for that CWS. I was trying to cheat the system somewhat. As you say fares to NCL are high for those dates due to the Heineken cup final and I thought Avios fares might be a way around
I was trying to work out the reason for the very high fares, usually it's a cheap route thanks to competition from Ryanair (albeit their timings aren't good) and I had forgotten the date of the finals.

So for the benefit of those not knowing, Friday evening is the Challenge Cup, Saturday is the Champions Cup, and the Falcons venue is walking distance from the airport. For the latter, the potential teams would be drawn from Saracens, Glasgow, Leinster, Ulster, Edinburgh, Munster, Racing 92 and Toulouse.

BA services will doubtless also be impacted.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:14 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 439
From DUB, BA are nearly 400 rtn in economy. Both FR & EI are 400+ direct. Thinking of flying to MAN & getting the train up

Have my match ticket sorted and got an Airbnb for 110 for whole apartment for 2 nights 😉
andymcdonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:20 am
  #6  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 37,724
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
From DUB, BA are nearly 400 rtn in economy. Both FR & EI are 400+ direct. Thinking of flying to MAN & getting the train up

Have my match ticket sorted and got an Airbnb for 110 for whole apartment for 2 nights 😉
Mmm, maybe I should be renting out my sheep barn to AirBnB.

CFN-GLA is 160 return on Loganair.
Geordie405 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:22 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Mmm, maybe I should be renting out my sheep barn to AirBnB.

CFN-GLA is 160 return on Loganair.
Ever seen the roads from DUB-CFN? Id fly DUB-NCL and back again quicker
andymcdonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:08 am
  #8  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Posts: 297
Is flying to LBA + train also a viable option? Both cash (~200) and avios (8K + 82, maybe less if call BA?) are available.
mccartje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:21 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
Is flying to LBA + train also a viable option? Both cash (~200) and avios (8K + 82, maybe less if call BA?) are available.
Flight times are horrible. Wed have to be on the 6.25am ex DUB and the 22.10 arrival back in. Plus the train is an additional 70+ so think thats out. At the moment Im thinking MAN or EDI
andymcdonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 98
The best way would be to transfer the BA avios to an avios/aerclub account then book the flights on avios.com
looking at the dates you have mentioned I can see DUB-EDI direct for 4000avios each way + 72.37 taxes rtn
Brainless69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:05 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Marriott/Starwood Gold, BA Bronze, Alaska MVP
Posts: 1,192
Originally Posted by Brainless69 View Post
The best way would be to transfer the BA avios to an avios/aerclub account then book the flights on avios.com
looking at the dates you have mentioned I can see DUB-EDI direct for 4000avios each way + 72.37 taxes rtn
Is it still the case that it is better to look up availability for Aer Lingus on avios.com and book via BAEC due to lower taxes/fees charged? Or perhaps that only works for Long Haul?
Enigma368 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 12:12 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 439
Sorry to rake up this thread again but Ive a couple of questions Im hoping someone can answer.

I can fly EI to LHR on 10 May for 45, arriving at 8.05am. Theres a BA flight to NCL at 9.20am. Is 1hr15 too tight to self connect on a HBO fare?

Also, as a newly acquired BA Gold, I understand I can use double the miles to get onto any flight once I give 39 days notice. Is this correct? If so how many Avios will it cost LHR-NCL?

Finally, theres a direct EI flight NCL-DUB on 12th but its same price to book via BA on their code, booking into K class. Would that get me lounge access in NCL as BA gold or is it only LHR/LGW?

Thanks guys
andymcdonnell is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread