Refused Priority Security at HND

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by TheRiverCard
I can confirm that the lady is indeed correct.

According to this and this, you are only allowed to use the priority lane under two circumstances:

(1) You're holding a First Class ticket
(2) You're traveling with an airline that you hold a top membership with, for BA that would be Gold+. In this case, the cabin that you're taking does not matter. (Which slightly differs from Zeeww's interpretation)

Bizarre indeed.
Isnt this exactly the rules for the First Wing with the exception of the lack of matching requirement?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I understood, mistakenly I accept now, that J/F passengers and those with Silver/Gold status had access to priority security and boarding EVERYWHERE when travelling on OW airlines. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one or to try to get something I didn't genuinely believe I was entitled to. That is not a DYKWIA... that is a passenger that felt he wasn't getting what he was entitled to... completely different.
Is this one of Sir Humphrey's irregular verbs?

I'll bet that quite a lot of the people reported in our DYKWIA threads genuinely and honestly, if mistakenly, believe that they're entitled to whatever they're trying to secure.
CPH-Flyer and DeathSlam like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound

Isnt this exactly the rules for the First Wing with the exception of the lack of matching requirement?
no, f wing uses standard ow rules, if you fly y on ba whilst being owe on say aa or jl you and a guest are eligible.
LTN Phobia and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I totally disagree with that.

I understood, mistakenly I accept now, that J/F passengers and those with Silver/Gold status had access to priority security and boarding EVERYWHERE when travelling on OW airlines. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one or to try to get something I didn't genuinely believe I was entitled to. That is not a DYKWIA... that is a passenger that felt he wasn't getting what he was entitled to... completely different.
Nothing wrong with being mistaken, the issue is more than when informed you refused to accept that the employee might in fact have a better knowledge of the rules and stood your ground even though you now say you weren't 100% confident in your position
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:14 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I understood, mistakenly I accept now, that J/F passengers and those with Silver/Gold status had access to priority security and boarding EVERYWHERE when travelling on OW airlines.
FWIW, oneworld.com says "Fast track at select security lanes" (emphasis mine). I recall being refused fast track at HEL when flying BA J as a Sapphire a couple of years ago.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:26 am

Im BA Gold, and I regularly fly out of HND, most often on JL (and rarely in First!). I only recall ever being stopped once from using the Priority Lane (when on CX). Until reading this forum I didnt really appreciate the rule (and didnt argue when I was declined when flying on CX). Are they more flexible for JL customers?

I suppose there is little harm in trying to use the Priority Lane, and then if refused quickly move over to the regular lane.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by dsf
FWIW, oneworld.com says "Fast track at select security lanes" (emphasis mine). I recall being refused fast track at HEL when flying BA J as a Sapphire a couple of years ago.
And this is an Emerald level perk, not Sapphire. At HEL BA pax don't have access to fast track at all.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by orbitmic

no, f wing uses standard ow rules, if you fly y on ba whilst being owe on say aa or jl you and a guest are eligible.
isnt that what I just said?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And presumably they have a table at each gate of the name/designation of each airline FFP's top tier? Unless I've misinterpreted something, this rule sounds bizarre to me.
There is a massive board next to the fast track entrance to security with all eligible cabins/cards. That said, I can't remember how clear it is, or how it copes with pax with status flying on an airline other than their 'home' one.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Nothing wrong with being mistaken, the issue is more than when informed you refused to accept that the employee might in fact have a better knowledge of the rules and stood your ground even though you now say you weren't 100% confident in your position
There have been many times where the employees did not know the rules. Why should I take the word of someone if all they do is say "British Airways" to me instead of explaining why I am wrong when I am convinced I am right.

I accept I was wrong but stand by me insisting when there was no explanation as to why I might be wrong when I believed I was right. Had it been explained I would have accepted it immediately and that is why I will not accept the DYKWIA label. I didn't have any jumped up sense of importance which is the defining mark of a DYKWIA..

Last edited by snaxmuppet; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
And this is an Emerald level perk, not Sapphire. At HEL BA pax don't have access to fast track at all.
Check this, though. If you are at least Ruby in AY's FFP and travel on an AY-marketed flight from HEL, then you get fast track. However, I think there was a recent post on the AY forum about someone having trouble getting fast track as an AY elite on an AY codeshare flight on BA metal, so it might not work in practice.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BA6501
There is a massive board next to the fast track entrance to security with all eligible cabins/cards. That said, I can't remember how clear it is, or how it copes with pax with status flying on an airline other than their 'home' one.
It does not specify that the frequent flyer status must be with the carrier with which the passenger is flying.

It just shows, in the case of JL, First logo, followed by 3 JL status cards/logos. It doesn't really mean much in itself, with no background information.

What they should do is to have a card explaining the situation in English and Japanese and put it up on that board showing the eligibility criteria. In fact I'll dump that suggestion on them when I'm there next.

I have seen lots of completely confused and surprised people (myself included, once when flying on ANA in J on an F-less flight, with non-ANA Star Gold) caught by this rule.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:56 am

There have been many times where the employees did not know the rules. Why should I take the word of someone if all they do is say "British Airways" to me instead of explaining why I am wrong when I am convinced I am right.

I accept I was wrong but stand by me insisting when there was no explanation as to why I might be wrong when I believed I was right. Had it been explained I would have accepted it immediately and that is why I will not accept the DYKWIA label. I didn't have any jumped up sense of importance which is the defining mark of a DYKWIA..
I think you're right, DYKWIA is a generalised label and an unkind one at that. It splits any aspect of wishing to be respected and acknowledged into a negative label where it can be condemned. First you are called a bully, then a DYKWIA. What next?

I have actually met snaxmuppet and chatted for some time and he didn't come across as a DYKWIA to me in any way.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
There is a massive board as you say. I looked carefully at the board, trying to understand what she was getting at, and to my eyes it supported my position. It said only those with OW sapphire or emerald could use priority security for a JL flight. On my boarding card it said I was silver/sapphire. It was in black and white I was travelling on a JL flight and was sapphire on my boarding card.

What was not clear at all was that I had to be a JL sapphire.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It said only those with OW sapphire or emerald could use priority security for a JL flight.
In HND's defence, the board does not say that.

It shows, for JL flights, 3 of the JMB (JL's frequent flyer scheme) membership cards with OWS and OWE logos. That is rather different from showing OWS and OWE logos.

I don't blame you for finding it confusing because that is not what you would normally expect. In fact, if anything, what's much more common is for J passengers to be given priority security but not based on status, so it comes as a bit of a surprise and our brain tends to interpret things in the way that's more convenient to us, so you probably only saw the OWS and OWE logos contained within the JL cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.