Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Priority Security at HND

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Refused Priority Security at HND

Just had a bizarre experience at HND security. I am BAEC Silver so OneWorld Sapphire. I am flying on a JL flight so should be permitted priority security (AFAIK). The woman checking boarding passes said I could not use the priority lane as I was a BAEC member. She was most insistent and kept saying, in her very broken English, "British Airways". I kept repeating back "Japan Airlines Sapphire". In the end a queue was building up behind and I asked to speak to her supervisor at which point she let me through. I wouldn't have made anything of it excelt that the non-priority line was humungous!

It was a disconcerting exchange to be honest... not raised voices or aggressive but not friendly either.

I am right aren't I as she has me doubting myself now?

I am BAEC Silver flying on JL6 (HND-JFK) in J

Access to lounge was unchallenged of course where a bowl of Japanese curry & a beer helped calm my nerves!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond
I think she’s right https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/airport/hnd/info/

i think HND has a new policy (or maybe existing that just wasn’t enforced) that J passengers don’t get priority security, only those travelling J in their own FF airline ie you must be travelling J on BA for a BAEC member (I’m not even sure Sapphire gets priority).

VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I can confirm that the lady is indeed correct.

According to this and this, you are only allowed to use the priority lane under two circumstances:

(1) You're holding a First Class ticket
(2) You're traveling with an airline that you hold a top membership with, for BA that would be Gold+. In this case, the cabin that you're taking does not matter. (Which slightly differs from Zeeww's interpretation)

Bizarre indeed.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:05 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Japan is probably the last place I'd choose to argue with someone in authority ...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Well this is overall pretty skanky. J passengers should get priority security regardless of shenanigans esp if they're flying with the right alliance and would normally get it. It's that kind of inconsistency and weirdness that alliances are meant to fix. Though I guess One World does a pretty good job most of the time.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As others say, however one might dislike the rules, she was entirely correct.

ps: non priority security at hnd is usually as quick and efficient as priority security elsewhere in my experience

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 19, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Can confirm this is the case. JAL J ticket, BA Emerald - had exactly the same experience. Went back to the JAL F check in desk 10 feet away (that bit of OW privileges is working) to complain and the check in agent confirmed the rule. She did however mark our boarding pass with something to still give us priority security after all.

It is a bizarre rule, then again, many things in Japan are a bit different...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:09 pm

By coincidence I came through HND on Monday (was supposed to be flying from NRT but flight was delayed). I was on the BA codeshare JAL flight with a JAL issued boarding pass and this did get me through priority security.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeww
<div style="text-align:left;">I think she’s right <a href="https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/airport/hnd/info/">https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/airport/hnd/info/</a><br />i think HND has a new policy (or maybe existing that just wasn’t enforced) that J passengers don’t get priority security, only those travelling J in their own FF airline ie you must be travelling J on BA for a BAEC member (I’m not even sure Sapphire gets priority).
</div>
Originally Posted by redeyedonkey
Well this is overall pretty skanky. J passengers should get priority security regardless of shenanigans esp if they're flying with the right alliance and would normally get it. It's that kind of inconsistency and weirdness that alliances are meant to fix. Though I guess One World does a pretty good job most of the time.
<br />at HND this is not an Oneworld benefit.<br />So, airport rules. It's been this way for YEARS but often some can dodge it. sometimes you can't.<br /><br />
Originally Posted by TBD
Japan is probably the last place I'd choose to argue with someone in authority ...
<br />Well, No.<br />If you have all the rules in front of them saying you are right, you <strong>might</strong> make it. JL award has the weirdest rule (but i think sensible) saying one may upgrade a JMB award on JL at the airport using miles which is clearly written in their TnC. It took me a loooong time to get them to understand (even with the japanese TnC) that it is allowed - but it did eventually work.

Last edited by kaka; Mar 20, 2019 at 12:12 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:56 am

Slightly OT, but this “discrimination not by class or status but by airline” isn’t as uncommon as one would think.

In CGK T3, even if you’re travelling business or first class, you still have to queue for immigration with the masses unless you’re on Garuda or a Skyteam flight.
camsean likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
The woman checking boarding passes said I could not use the priority lane as I was a BAEC member. She was most insistent and kept saying, in her very broken English, "British Airways". I kept repeating back "Japan Airlines Sapphire". In the end a queue was building up behind and I asked to speak to her supervisor at which point she let me through.
あなたは私が誰なのかわからないのですか?

[Don't you know who I am?]

Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Happened to me in the past albeit on QR. I was in J on HND-DOH and F on DOH-LHR and they refused priority security since I was crediting to BA (EMD). The agent didn't budge, but some DYKWIA part of me urged me to go back to the checkin desk and point out how ridiculous that policy was and that I held first class ticket for the flight and it's not really my fault they don't operate that cabin on the first sector. The checkin lady gave in and wrote something* on my HND-DOH boarding pass which was dully accepted in the priority queue.

* - "something" being a capital letter "L" in a circle - in case you want to try your luck
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GFL
Ive found this definitely to be true at HND, Being Gold cuts no mustard at security....I think what confuses things a bit is that theres a sign next to the security point that shows a BA Gold/Emerald image but elsewhere on the same sign it says something about F only. I do agree though with previous poster that IME the regular security is so quick that it doesnt make much difference and you're in the JAL lounge with the amazing John Lobb shoe shine before you know it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWR66
Ive found this definitely to be true at HND, Being Gold cuts no mustard at security....I think what confuses things a bit is that theres a sign next to the security point that shows a BA Gold/Emerald image but elsewhere on the same sign it says something about F only. I do agree though with previous poster that IME the regular security is so quick that it doesnt make much difference and you're in the JAL lounge with the amazing John Lobb shoe shine before you know it.
they demand matching airline with status, which isnt written out
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Slightly OT, but this “discrimination not by class or status but by airline” isn’t as uncommon as one would think.

In CGK T3, even if you’re travelling business or first class, you still have to queue for immigration with the masses unless you’re on Garuda or a Skyteam flight.
this is hardly discrimination.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.