Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming out on FT!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by morges1
Seeing the locations above, it's obviously necessary to hold a Sydney DO!
In Europe and for BA I have my Swiss home address and here in SYD for QF I have a SYD address
To far to go from my PER home
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bullswood
we quite often use to Avios to hold availability where we need to be able to chop & change, or until a good cash fare comes along....
oh great another one tying up reward seats unnecessarily.

as I hate to think of all the bag tags piling up on that continent) or will she have to get on the dog-and-bone to the "Retentions Team", as happens when trying to get out of Vodafone or Sky TV? Pehaps they'll offer to match her KC status?
blues don’t get physical bag tags. And there really isn’t a retentions team with BA plying people with special offers to try and make them stay - not that they that would bother trying to retain a member with no flights or avios to their name anyway.
danfl44 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
BA doesn't allow membership with an Australian (and perhaps NZ?) address. This dates from the BA/QF joint venture (when BA referred its Oz members to Qantas even though QF kept theirs in the UK), but never re-instated in the years since the JV ended.
End result is that Aussies or Brits living here wishing to join or retain membership have to give or make up an address outside Oz, as residence is allowed pretty much anywhere else on earth. Local conspiracy theorists have suggested that a BA intern may have accidentally handed over the family silver to Qantas for ever.
Of course, in a sense this is no more daft than being able to fly a QF-marketed EK-operated flight and earn BAEC Avios and TPs. One anomaly created by the BA/QF situation is no more or less daft than the other merely because it happens to be to the customer's benefit or disadvantage.

What is increasingly odd is BA's evident inability to get out of whatever restriction prevents these anomalies from being cleared up. At least in the case of BAEC membership, we have had the FT equivalent of a nod and a wink here from BA Executive Club about the acceptability of a UK accommodation address.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

oh great another one tying up reward seats unnecessarily.

blues don’t get physical bag tags. And there really isn’t a retentions team with BA plying people with special offers to try and make them stay - not that they that would bother trying to retain a member with no flights or avios to their name anyway.
My fault - I think you've missed the sarcasm. The point is that anyone (whether my pooch or not) with an address in Botswana can join but a Brit or Aussie in Oz can't.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I always thought Pom came from Prisoner of Mother England...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Of course, in a sense this is no more daft than being able to fly a QF-marketed EK-operated flight and earn BAEC Avios and TPs. One anomaly created by the BA/QF situation is no more or less daft than the other merely because it happens to be to the customer's benefit or disadvantage.

What is increasingly odd is BA's evident inability to get out of whatever restriction prevents these anomalies from being cleared up. At least in the case of BAEC membership, we have had the FT equivalent of a nod and a wink here from BA Executive Club about the acceptability of a UK accommodation address.
Yes, and the intriguing thing is why BA can't change it. No more work for them as these "illegals" are already being administered by BAEC UK through fictitious or accommodation addresses.
Joking apart, I do suspect that someone in the past has accidentally screwed up & done a bad deal with Qantas (who never gave up their UK members during the JV) in perpetuity.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
It is indeed a strange situation given current realities within oneword. Slightly reminiscent of the Northwest/K:M tie up years ago where Europeans couldn't join WorldPerks and Americans couldn't join Flying Dutchman and you couldn't even call KLM in the US (calls just routed to Northwest agents).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
It is indeed a strange situation given current realities within oneword. Slightly reminiscent of the Northwest/K:M tie up years ago where Europeans couldn't join WorldPerks and Americans couldn't join Flying Dutchman and you couldn't even call KLM in the US (calls just routed to Northwest agents).
At least that sounds reciprocal - Qantas never gave up anything and of course the JV ended years ago. At the time there was some suggestion that it wasn't reinstated because BA was on the verge of dumping LHR/SYD, but even that didn't ring true as you can be a member in dozens of off-line countries. May be one for the next A.Cruz Q&A?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That would be POME
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by morges1
Seeing the locations above, it's obviously necessary to hold a Sydney DO!
In Europe and for BA I have my Swiss home address and here in SYD for QF I have a SYD address
Great idea. You never know given how many reached PHX last year for the do we might get a few escapies from Europe joining us as well.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, could invite Sir Rod E, who has presumably had to give up his Premier Card now that he lives in MEL.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
In the region POM is Port Moresby!
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:18 pm

It's really insane, isn't it, that years after BA and QF 'divorced' there is still effectively a 'ban' on Aussies and other near neighbours joining BAEC, despite the fact that BA flies daily to Sydney! I've approached BA / BAEC on this time and again and never received anything resembling a sensible explanation. Oh well, lets hope your King Charles Cavalier enjoys his BAEC status
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Sadly, I suspect the dog will never manage 4 BA sectors to progress to Bronze - a pity as the name tag would be a far better colour match.

Perhaps with your "other hat" on you could ask the BA Press office for the latest excuse as there must be a commercial cost of the ban (Even without NZ etc, Oz is the 14th largest economy and I suspect slightly ahead of Botswana), but knowing the people who ran BAEC at the time of the JV agreement, I wouldn't be surprised at the far-too-embarrassing screw up theory.

By the way, BA should have an iPad note from the CSD (or whatever it is in MF) on my BA16 a couple of weeks back, who was astounded to hear of our plight after his seat-side welcome opened by saying how much BA appreciated the loyalty of its Australian premium members!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I believe that this along with Prisoner of Her Majesty are both backronyms i.e. invented after the term was in use.

I am currently a Sydney sider but my driving licence has my UK address on it (my parents) so I reckon I'm golden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.