Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK account for USD spend? Difficult question

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

Hi All,

I am a UK resident and I want to collect Avios. However, I have an online business (Amazon) that sells in the USA. I spend 6 figures on advertising on Amazon in USD annually which I am able to put on a credit card.

However, it would be pointless to charge this to a UK Avios Amex card because I would be charged a high percentage to convert the fee from USD to GBP.

I am wondering - is there a card in the UK that does not charge you for foreign (USD) transactions but also lets you collect avios?

Note - I am not eligible for a USA credit card which would be an easy workaround as I have no US address etc.

Thanks for your help! I know its a tough one
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Amex do a US $ card that is based in UK. Think this gives MR which you can transfer to avios.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...urrency-cards/
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
@madfish has given you a good answer (although there is a fee for the card). Are you offsetting your US costs (advertising) against your US income (sales)? How are you repatriating your USD to GBP? If you look in to it you might find that this is your biggest cost, and one where you can make a saving using a currency broker - savings that you could use to by any Avios you want (or even just use the cash to buy the tickets you want in cash).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: Confirmed
HSBC Premier?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Great suggestion! I have just applied for the international card so I hope it gets accepted ok as I already have a UK AMEX card (but this link says its on a different scheme so should be ok)
@ptr120 = I use a borderless transferwise account = so no material fees to pay. I'd post the link but as a new member i'm not allowed to - just google transferwise borderless USD account

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I am based in the UK and have both a Euro Amex card and USD Amex card. Both collect membership rewards which can either be transferred into Avois, or another airline like Virgin if you prefer.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Gbalague
Great suggestion! I have just applied for the international card so I hope it gets accepted ok as I already have a UK AMEX card (but this link says its on a different scheme so should be ok)
@ptr120 = I use a borderless transferwise account = so no material fees to pay. I'd post the link but as a new member i'm not allowed to - just google transferwise borderless USD account

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk Gbalague, it is good to see you here and I hope you find our little community friendly and helpful. Please do stay around.

I have the USD ICC Platinum Card - I also have a TransferWise USD borderless account. One problem you will face is that you cannot send USD payments to AMEX via TransferWise because they limit the number of characters that can be included in the reference field. The current limit is 10 characters, apparently this is a requirement put in place by the US as part of the money laundering provisions. As yet TransferWise do not support ACH debits from USD borderless accounts.

Because I have a home in the US, I have local bank accounts (checking and savings), each month AMEX collect their payment via ACH direct from my US checking account. You might want to investigate payment options before progressing the application. Wire transfers from UK accounts can be expensive.

It can take a couple of weeks to process an ICC application, so worth doing your homework before you are committed.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I have the USD ICC Platinum Card - I also have a TransferWise USD borderless account. One problem you will face is that you cannot send USD payments to AMEX via TransferWise because they limit the number of characters that can be included in the reference field. The current limit is 10 characters, apparently this is a requirement put in place by the US as part of the money laundering provisions. As yet TransferWise do not support ACH debits from USD borderless accounts.
So, as an update to this, you actually CAN send USD payments to AmEx on Transferwise, but you will sometimes have to call in to match the transfer. It's a bit irritating, but it does work - AMEC ICC apparently get quite a few customers asking about this at the moment, so hopefully they'll improve the process soon.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
So, as an update to this, you actually CAN send USD payments to AmEx on Transferwise, but you will sometimes have to call in to match the transfer. It's a bit irritating, but it does work - AMEC ICC apparently get quite a few customers asking about this at the moment, so hopefully they'll improve the process soon.
Yes, you are able to send a payment via TransferWise but it will not normally credit to your AMEX account without manual intervention. A colleague has had his AMEX payments returned to TransferWise a number of times since this TransferWise data limitation was introduced, which he finds a little frustrating. When this data limit was introduced AMEX told me they would not accept any electronic payment without the AMEX card number being presented with the transaction. Obviously your (and my colleague’s) experience indicates this is not strictly enforced.

It is TransferWise who is restricting the data field to 10 characters, I was told, at the insistence of their US banking partner (Community Federal Savings Bank). In the not too distant future TransferWise are hoping to allow direct debits from their GBP, EUR and USD borderless accounts. With the eventual arrival of ACH direct debits, this should remove this little inconvenience.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Yes, you are able to send a payment via TransferWise but it will not normally credit to your AMEX account without manual intervention. A colleague has had his AMEX payments returned to TransferWise a number of times since this TransferWise data limitation was introduced, which is a little frustrating. When this data leave limit was introduced AMEX told me they would not accept any electronic payment without the card number being provide with the transaction. Obviously your (and my colleagues) experience indicates this is not strictly enforced.
Apparently the current process is to ask for the first 10 digits of the card to allow the funds to be more easily tracked down. Definitely annoying, and let's hope that this gets smoother in the future. I would also be eternally greatful if TransferWise would setup dollar transfers to where I live, but I suspect that might be a longer way off.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Marriott Bonvoy
Sorry to revive this thread, does anyone know whether TransferWise can be used to pay off a dollar amex ICC using ACH now?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by sometimesJ
Sorry to revive this thread, does anyone know whether TransferWise can be used to pay off a dollar amex ICC using ACH now?
Any update on this?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:26 am

If I go to send an ACH from my Wise USD account, I'm still restricted to 10 digits of reference.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:29 am

I hate to suggest this, but Revolut appears not to have a 10-character limit when sending ACH... :-(
Old Nov 11, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by sometimesJ
You can set up a direct debit with Amex and they will collect the funds directly from your Wise USD account each month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.