Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

workaround for limitations of BA website for multi-city itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator

I need to book a multi-city trip for June in Club World. When I use the BA website, I get a list of flights but no prices, so I have to try one flight combo after another until I get an I fare. AA offers a much easier interface since it prices trips from the beginning. Is there a work-around for BA (like using the app) or do I have to call in? I would rather book the BA flight number since I get more BA Avios that way than if I book the AA flight numbers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Try ITA Matrix, select advanced control and then in the right of the two additional boxes beneath each segment type BC f=i which tells it you want I fares. It'll show you itineraries that are available, then find the one you want and select those exact flights on the BA website.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I tend to do this by having an ITA Matrix projection of the ticket along side the BA Multi City screen. While not perfect it does tend to force the outcomes down the cheapest option(s).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Try ITA Matrix, select advanced control and then in the right of the two additional boxes beneath each segment type BC f=i which tells it you want I fares. It'll show you itineraries that are available, then find the one you want and select those exact flights on the BA website.
Correction: f bc=i
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

thanks all. Will that work for the CE fares that book into J? Or do I have to segment it out?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
thanks all. Will that work for the CE fares that book into J? Or do I have to segment it out?
It generally works best by taking the journey as a whole, allowing maximum stopovers and constraining it to oneworld or BA only (C:BA+), it should work out the cheapest segments and then you select those with Multi City. Getting into the innards of ITA Matrix is quite a chore but it's really worth it when you get there. Just know when to stop digging, rather than spending hours extracting out the last 8€ .
eefor jfp and Tudway like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant

Correction: f bc=i
Yeah, correct, sorry was typing on my phone
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Will that work for the CE fares that book into J?
Not only will it work, that is the way to make it work. What that switch does is to restrict the results to those which can be priced using a fare whose main booking class is I. That will then return results where there is availability in I on the flights that require it, and availability in whatever other booking classes are required on other flights (eg J on the European short-hauls).

This is also the way to see WT+ fares on connecting itineraries. Specifying f bc=t will get you itineraries in which the long-hauls book into T, with European short-hauls in K.

If you were to do it sector by sector and you specified f bc=j for the European short-hauls, you would get itineraries returned in which the long-hauls were fared using a long-haul I class fare and the short-hauls were fared using a short-haul J class fare (assuming there are even any valid combinations of this kind at all, which I doubt). This might produce an unexpected fare.
eefor jfp and etiene like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Ended up buying from AA since they were $1000 cheaper than BA. Neither the website nor the phone agents could give me the same price that AA was offering. Too bad, given that I would have earned more miles with BA flight numbers, but the cost difference wasn't worth it in the end. Anyway, appreciate the tips for future trips, especially trying to find those elusive WT+ fares in T.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Google Flights is also pretty good and a lot more user-friendly than the matrix. If you price up with the multi city tool on Google then book via BA.com you usually get the same price as quoted.

The “click through to buy” doesn’t always work but you can usually replicate the itinerary manually in BA multi city anyway. One useful tip is If you want a long connection (>2 hours) on BA.com you may need to enter xxx-yyy then yyy-zzz on same day to get what you need if xxx-zzz doesn’t show the flight pair you need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.