Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hold your flights and price

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Hold your flights and price

Pardon me if this has been covered before.

I do not understand why sometimes you can hold your flight and other times you cannot. I have a slightly complicated routing open-jaw (thanks to the Gurus here) to the USA in November - all BA sectors - no codeshares all CW INV-LHR-MSY SAN - LHR-INV back . I cannot hold the booking. Yet a CE booking LHR-ATH, IST - LHR in November allows me to do this.

Are there any criteria that you collectively know about that means that some bookings one can, and others you cannot hold? I'm somewhat perplexed as I cannot see a common pattern, it appears random. Is it when seats in any class run short?

I cannot understand this, but I am certain that I will probably have the correct answer if I ask you all.

Thanksxxxxx
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
There are some countries excluded, though I don't see them in your routing

The full T&Cs are here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...r-flight-price

You do meet the 21 day requirement, so not 100% sure why it would not offer it, if you meet the other requirements listed.

Terms and Conditions
  • Not available for flights departing within 21 days.
  • Not available for flight+hotel or flight+car rental bookings.
  • Cash & Avios / discounts and donations can’t be used when holding a booking
  • Dates, journey or passenger mix cannot be changed once flights are held. You can however, change passenger names.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Mar 29, 2019 at 8:46 am Reason: Added T&Cs quote
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Though the T&Cs do clearly say "selected British Airways and Iberia operated flights" so even meeting criteria about dates etc obviously does not guarantee it. I await the wisdom of c-w-s et al to see if there is any further info on how they make such selections

(I use this feature quite a lot myself)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Pardon me if this has been covered before.

I do not understand why sometimes you can hold your flight and other times you cannot. I have a slightly complicated routing open-jaw (thanks to the Gurus here) to the USA in November - all BA sectors - no codeshares all CW INV-LHR-MSY SAN - LHR-INV back . I cannot hold the booking. Yet a CE booking LHR-ATH, IST - LHR in November allows me to do this.

Are there any criteria that you collectively know about that means that some bookings one can, and others you cannot hold? I'm somewhat perplexed as I cannot see a common pattern, it appears random. Is it when seats in any class run short?

I cannot understand this, but I am certain that I will probably have the correct answer if I ask you all.

Thanksxxxxx
Outside of the criteria above depending on availability it sometimes isnt offered.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't actually know, but I too have seen it happen. It seems that too much complication - and this is an open jaw and mixed APD - takes away the option. So I am able to get this hold option on INV-LHR-MSY and INV-LHR-SAN.

I think the reason is that Multi City uses an older set of modules, perhaps not being fully maintained, and when it shows up the final calculation it somehow bypasses the 72 hour hold facility, which is relatively new. The final pricing does not follow the more recently updated final price screen, which has the hold in the bottom left panel. I believe you can call the Contact Centre for them to do it but it would be good if someone can confirm this based on a recent mult-city.

You do still have the 24 hour hold / refund option - which can now usually be cancelled online; and BA Holidays would be the other option to see if you can get this via a deposit process if a car or hotel is added.

Incidentally there is usually no need or cost advantage in returning to INV for the final sector, a return LHR would end up at a similar or perhaps lower cost.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't actually know, but I too have seen it happen. It seems that too much complication - and this is an open jaw and mixed APD - takes away the option. So I am able to get this hold option on INV-LHR-MSY and INV-LHR-SAN.

I think the reason is that Multi City uses an older set of modules, perhaps not being fully maintained, and when it shows up the final calculation it somehow bypasses the 72 hour hold facility, which is relatively new. The final pricing does not follow the more recently updated final price screen, which has the hold in the bottom left panel. I believe you can call the Contact Centre for them to do it but it would be good if someone can confirm this based on a recent mult-city.

You do still have the 24 hour hold / refund option - which can now usually be cancelled online; and BA Holidays would be the other option to see if you can get this via a deposit process if a car or hotel is added.

Incidentally there is usually no need or cost advantage in returning to INV for the final sector, a return LHR would end up at a similar or perhaps lower cost.
I never believed this day would dawn - but in actual fact the pricing is £1424 - whilst without INV it is £2433. However if one booked via AA it reverts to £1424
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I never believed this day would dawn - but in actual fact the pricing is £1424 - whilst without INV it is £2433. However if one booked via AA it reverts to £1424
Yes I am able to replicate that too. I can think of various reasons why that would be, but I suspect the powers that be have spotted the loophole. However I don't know if the following helps you? It would have to be booked over the telephone though.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.