Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA174 18/03/19 JFK -> LHR, diverted to YYT, fire detected in hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA174 18/03/19 JFK -> LHR, diverted to YYT, fire detected in hold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for sharing that, I was going to say quite a unique photo but I know of at least one of other circumstance when there were several BA birds visiting St. Johns. Still I'm sure it was of interest to the airport staff.
Would that have been 9/11?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Is everyone home safe yet?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alex67500
That was when I had in mind, but I also seem to recall a NYC storm that lead to aircraft landing there and Bangor. I seem to recall that the schedulers try to avoid diverting to Canada if the destination is USA, to avoid ESTA/ETA headaches.
wrp96 and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
The storyline for the musical 'come from away'.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great pictures....always fancied visiting there.

I think AC used to have a scheduled flight to PIK from YYT once or twice a week.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Great pictures....always fancied visiting there.

I think AC used to have a scheduled flight to PIK from YYT once or twice a week.
AC has (or had until last week!) non stop service on a Max8 between St John's and Heathrow. Takes a little over 4 hours. Hopefully back soon! Until last year... AC used an A319 on the Heathrow flight.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by gilfiom
I used the language evacuate as they were asked to leave the plane quickly, leaving everything behind - perhaps rapid deplaning or some other term should have been used! Either way, it wasn't a standard deplaning.
No worries, just for crew it is a very different thing...

Evacuation uses slides and would be whole aircraft within 90 seconds etc.

Rapid Disembarkation is what must have occurred here. Pax told to leave the plane quickly, using the boarding door, or possibly steps brought to a door or additional door, and leave everything behind.

Rapid Disembarkation would be more likely to be used in this sort of situation, and is also used for maybe something like a severe fuel leakage on stand, or a ground equipment incident by the aircraft, or as result of a bomb threat assessment on the ground requiring the passengers to leave the aircraft etc.

Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
If you do not have an ETA for Canada (mine was recently declined owing to me not sending in a certificate in time! - hopefully to be reconsidered next week) what would happen if a flight diverted there? Are there extenuating circumstances that allow an emergency issuance or is it a case of "next flight back the UK for you"?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:51 pm

And of course some numbers from gcmap.com showing how 'close' St John's is to Europe:

YYT-SNN is 1946 miles (St John's to Shannon)

YYT-LHR is 2316 miles (St John's to London)

YYT-YYC is 2694 (St John's to Calgary)

YYT-YVR is 3121 miles (St John's to Vancouver)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
If you do not have an ETA for Canada (mine was recently declined owing to me not sending in a certificate in time! - hopefully to be reconsidered next week) what would happen if a flight diverted there? Are there extenuating circumstances that allow an emergency issuance or is it a case of "next flight back the UK for you"?
Unless I'm misunderstanding, an ETA is only needed to board a flight to Canada but not to pass through passport control if you somehow manage to show up at the border.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
According to FR24, BA9157 is halfway across the Atlantic from YYT, due in to LHR at 0048 hours
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
The passengers didn't make a choice to try and enter Canada, it was made for them by BA. Accordingly, the CBSA agents have discretion to grant emergency visa's and allow entry under the circumstances.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Could a passenger on this flight claim EC261 compensation?

If not (or even if so) what has BA already offered people who were on the flight for the inconvenience?

Last edited by salut0; Apr 8, 2019 at 9:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.