Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA174 18/03/19 JFK -> LHR, diverted to YYT, fire detected in hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier

A friend was on last nights service from JFK to LHR where about 3 hours into the flight the plane turned around, the csd was called to the cockpit and all lights were turned on. The pilot made an 'important announcement' that there had been an indication of a fire in the hold and needed to land asap. They were to prepare to evacuate with warm clothing only and leave everything else behind. The plane landed safely, everyone was evacuated and after a short while/ checks by fire brigade they were allowed to return to get hand luggage and have been taken to a hotel.

They are still there, information has been scarce other than a replacement aircraft is coming and they will leave 'tonight'. They haven't been able to retrieve their hold luggage.

Is there anymore definitive information?

I suspect that they can't continue on their original aircraft as the fire suppression system has been activated in the hold so is 'spent' as well as not retrieving their luggage as perhaps the cartons need to be cleaned first?
wrp96 and george77300 like this.

Last edited by gilfiom; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:52 am Reason: hadn't finished!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:51 am

Thank goodness all are ok.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:03 am

It looks like the current plan is that a relief flight will be sent to YYT which will then take all customers back to JFK where all will be dispersed from there.
gilfiom likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There was a plan to position an aircraft to YYT from LHR but I can see this has been cancelled, there must be a new plan which has not yet been published.
gilfiom and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
It looks like the current plan is that a relief flight will be sent to YYT which will then take all customers back to JFK where all will be dispersed from there.
Yes - thanks - we have that information. But they haven't been given any indication of timescale other than 'tonight' - as in is the aircraft leaving london tonight or arriving tonight or are they leaving tonight......

Understandably my friend is a little anxious after last night but shes also now focussed on getting home and back to work and there is little info (as is usually the case).

Was just hoping this hive mind may have more information (BA source check as well but no sign of positioning aircraft as yet).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I can see it has been cancelled but I don’t know when?
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
gilfiom likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Some smaller, remoter airports simply don't have the ability to unload containerised luggage

I read of a DL flight where they had to fly in baggage handling equipment following a diversion with a damaged plane to allow containers to be removed and they left the equipment it there as it was too expensive to retrieve!
wrp96 and gilfiom like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
From what I can see it has been cancelled but I don’t know when?
Yeah should have left at 1100Z but never did. Can’t find any more up to date info anywhere else.
gilfiom likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
G-VIIJ has pushed back (BA9156) in LHR and will be airborne shortly for YYT
wrp96, gilfiom and george77300 like this.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Mar 19, 2019 at 7:29 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s good news, I cannot see anything internally but i am sure you have greater access to the information.
gilfiom likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:13 am

Given the short flight time (4hrs 40 ish?), does the rescue crew operate there and back in one go?
gilfiom likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Some smaller, remoter airports simply don't have the ability to unload containerised luggage

I read of a DL flight where they had to fly in baggage handling equipment following a diversion with a damaged plane to allow containers to be removed and they left the equipment it there as it was too expensive to retrieve!
We’re remote by UK standards but YYT is a medium sized Canadian airport used to long haul diversions such as this
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Given the short flight time (4hrs 40 ish?), does the rescue crew operate there and back in one go?
I wondered this as well - and also whether the original crew could operate the flight back since they will be rested.

If they return her/ everyone to JFK then I'd be concerned about her getting rebooked on a flight this evening. But I know the movement and positioning of aircraft and especially that route is important, especially since they now have an aircraft out of place/ not being used.

Can anyone say if an update plan has been published/ flight plan filed?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
G-VIIJ has pushed back (BA9156) in LHR and will be airborne shortly for YYT
They missed a trick not sending the Landor bird.......
gilfiom and Boeing77W like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
The BA app was showing departure from St John's at 21.29 tonight local time and arrival into LHR at 06.30 tomorrow morning.
gilfiom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.