Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will Jersey get BA flights to LHR at some point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Jersey get BA flights to LHR at some point?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:24 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
flybe inherited JER-LCY from Blue Islands when they took them over. SI were a great little outfit but I was surprised BA didn't attempt LCY-JER first.
SI still exist (and are still operating the flights) - they are just in a franchise agreement with Flybe. Whether that arrangement will survive the recent Flybe rescue is in some doubt, and SI have just taken delivery of two new aircraft which are not in flybe colours. I think BA would do very well on JER - LCY, but as others have said they don’t have the airframes at the moment.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That’s accepted, jmd, but this was 2 weeks apart last month. All the ‘suits’ went down the back ... nearly all the CE pax were either leisure or ‘posh suits’.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by jmd
I think you may just have hit an outlier Uncle T - I have been backwards and forwards repeatedly in the last few months and CE loads have been healthy. In fact I am going out tomorrow and back on Thurs, and both flights have 6 rows of CE.
I've known a leisure trip recently from JER which had no CE passengers whatsoever.

And this Sunday just gone, I returned from Jersey as the solo occupant of CE.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtikky
I've known a leisure trip recently from JER which had no CE passengers whatsoever.

And this Sunday just gone, I returned from Jersey as the solo occupant of CE.
WOW ... just WOW!

OK, not holiday season yet [with this weather I'm not surprised] but that is spooky. But - we rarely do the run at weekends. Our recent 2-row experiences were Tue [0705] and Wed [1820]. We have a Sat [2020] LGW-JER
next month: I shall count rows/pax then!
mtikky likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Living in NYC and with a brother+niece on Jersey the LHR/LGW shuffle has long been a PITA. At last count I think I've made about 60 trips to Jersey since 2005...

The JFK-LGW service has made things a lot more convenient albeit with ropier 777s and obviously no First. From a purely selfish POV I'd really like to see LHR-JER myself too, and when I travel at hours well suited for business travel I quite often see others in both CE and CW/First/in the LHR lounges that are making the same or similar journeys. There has to be enough demand for at least an early morning JER-LHR and late evening LHR-JER for European feeder services.
Same situation for me. Living in DC, wife is from Guernsey. Avoiding the LHR<->LGW slog is really appealing, and it's sad to hear it's not likely to remain.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:03 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by T8191
My ba97 record says it was 2008 when BMI dropped the JER-LHR connection. We managed to use it just once to LHR, in May 08, before the route was dropped (got a prompt refund of the return ticket!), and we had to come home 3 weeks later with BA via LGW.

In the intervening 10 years nobody has tried to do it again. I suspect if it was going to be lucrative, and LHR slots were available/affordable, it would have happened by now. The GCI-LHR is, IMO, a false dawn as far as JER residents are concerned, and as UKtravelbear notes, it's a subsidised Summer service. Indeed, many services to the Islands are Summer-only, for inbound tourism purposes - that's when we can actually fly JER-DUB direct for a few months!

I have full sympathy for the OP. We've been doing the LGW/LHR shuffle for over 10 years, and agree it's a bloody great PITA!
I totally feel your pain. We have the opposite problem in Manchester where we can’t get to Gatwick so have to slop in the opposite direction. If only they could release a LHR / MAN slot for JER in exchange for a ealry MAN / LGW
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
JER-LHR would work only with BA, however why would they? In terms of a 'premium', truly international airline, they have a monopoly. LGW is cheaper to operate to and an absolute cash cow. The number of Prem/Gold/Silv passengers in Jersey per capita is huge.

I spent many an hour behind a BA check-in desk in JER before during and after the BD JER-LHR operation. The number of premium passengers shunning this and doing the M25 shuffle with BA did not change one jot. This is why I doubt KLM would shake things up as a) the financial and cultural connection between St Helier and London is so strong (far stronger than Amsterdam), and b) they would have to convince a significant number of premium pax to give up their shiny BAEC card and switch alliances.

Cityhopper used to operate between JER and AMS of course... This stopped for a reason.

Having said that, for personal reasons I would dearly love either a JER-LHR or NCL-LGW connection from BA.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by TraumaDoc; Mar 21, 2019 at 5:26 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Given how premium heavy the LGW-JER services are I do wonder how BA justifies LHR-LBA and LHR-NCL which are in reality lighter on premium than JER. Surely the slots being used for LBA & NCL could be more profitably used for high end bucket and spade routes which currently seem to be all the rage and space found at LGW for NCL and LBA - if LBA survives.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Can I just say

NQY-LHR 🤣

cs
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornishsimon

NQY-LHR 🤣
LGW-LBA would suit me ... I could get to see Son and Grandchildren more often without having to use a LCC!

And some useful TPs in the process!!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Given how premium heavy the LGW-JER services are I do wonder how BA justifies LHR-LBA and LHR-NCL which are in reality lighter on premium than JER. Surely the slots being used for LBA & NCL could be more profitably used for high end bucket and spade routes which currently seem to be all the rage and space found at LGW for NCL and LBA - if LBA survives.
It dosen't matter how premium heavy a route is. What matters is where passengers are flying onto.

If more passengers from NCL have onward bookings on BA from LHR than do flights from JER then BA are going to route NCL to LHR.

If most of JER is people flying to London as an end destination then LGW is a lot easier to get to central London that from LHR
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JER = Finance. And a bit of Agriculture and Tourism.
But mainly FINANCE = City and London.
That’s why so many pax are wearing suits and carrying briefcases.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Given how premium heavy the LGW-JER services are I do wonder how BA justifies LHR-LBA and LHR-NCL which are in reality lighter on premium than JER
You can get the train or drive to London from Leeds or Newcastle, which is clearly not the case from Jersey. This means a much higher percentage of traffic is transiting through London, rather than London being their ultimate destination.

If BA were to offer NCL-LGW to connect to their long haul network ex-LHR, it wouldn't work. People would either use the EK service going East, drive to MAN/EDI, or use KL/LH/AF and connect through their respective hubs.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
LGW-LBA would suit me ... I could get to see Son and Grandchildren more often without having to use a LCC!

And some useful TPs in the process!!
You could always do JER-LGW-AMS-LHR-LBA as a Tier point run to visit family
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by rapidex
You could always do JER-LGW-AMS-LHR-LBA as a Tier point run to visit family
A few years ago I did have JER-LGW-AMS-LHR-IAD. Was a standard return option on ba.com and figured it was good for a laugh...until we circled LGW for an eternity because of fog, then diverted to JER! I missed the LGW-AMS flight. In the end BA reissued my ticket at LGW without the AMS legs and comped my National Express ticker to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.