Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will Jersey get BA flights to LHR at some point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Jersey get BA flights to LHR at some point?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting input from the other end of the telescope, Fraser.

Personally I could live with CW in the LGW 777 to NYC ... if I ever wanted to go there!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
Would a bit of competition help?
Maybe if KLM started an AMS rotation, BA might fear losing some passengers.
Yes, that would probably do the trick. KLM has been very aggressive with its UK flights, so that would be a very interesting entry to the Jersey market.

Originally Posted by flatlander
That's all of you using that route needing to pay the extra costs of Heathrow operations and a slot.
Are you confident that your fellow travellers are of the same mind as you?
I'm afraid that says little about revenues.
Originally Posted by T8191
I’m not ganging up on the OP, but I have to say that we use LGW to connect far more than LHR. OK, that’s a personal/destination thing as leisure pax, but still valid. And ‘The Suits’ fly to LGW and LCY in great numbers, presumably doing their thing in London. I do wonder sometimes how many of those are then actually connecting to something from LHR ... very few, I suspect, especially when there are a fair number of l/h options from LGW all over the place (if not necessarily with BA)......
I work in the financial services sector on the Island and I'll be the first to admit, that 80% of our travel is to London, so the Gatwick flights work fine for most travel. However, we are regularly visited by higher-ups and clients who moan about the transit from LHR to LGW. Once you add on the major employers like the UK banks and RBC etc, there has to be enough demand. LGW has gotten better in recent years, I've connected on to Cathay once and BA to JFK once. It's still got a long way to go however.

The summer does bring a huge increase in inbound travel but there's also a huge increase in local people that want to leave the Island as a result of it!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended

When some BA B788s are too small for LHR, they may end up at LGW for additional US routes.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
I work in the financial services sector on the Island and I'll be the first to admit, that 80% of our travel is to London, so the Gatwick flights work fine for most travel. However, we are regularly visited by higher-ups and clients who moan about the transit from LHR to LGW. Once you add on the major employers like the UK banks and RBC etc, there has to be enough demand.
Deeper analysis of the two-way traffic would be needed to justify the LGW-LHR. And I have little doubt that BA has done exactly that. It would take a lot of 'regular visits' to fill a 319. Likewise, I suggest UK Banks and RBC etc. are perfectly capable of doing ex-LGW or ex-LCY without heading west to LHR to do it. A daily LHR schedule for that level of traffic just doesn't look feasible, even if you add in outbound JER pax.

I take your point [edited out] about people escaping from JER during the 'season' ... we do exactly the same! We were/will be away in Feb, May, Jul, Aug, Sep & Nov this year - but only the Sep one [to IAD] involves LHR.

Although ex-LHR to an ex-DUB would be useful!!

Last edited by T8191; Mar 19, 2019 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The only comparison worth making is PRASM and that is a trade secret for any air carrier.

BA would operate an hourly A380 on the route (but for perhaps some logistical concerns on the ground at JER) if there were enough people prepared to pay enough.
That would see a pile of broken A380's at the bottom of the cliff at the end of runway 27. We used to take the old B727's in and it was one of the places where the nose wheel brakes were rather useful.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
That would see a pile of broken A380's at the bottom of the cliff at the end of runway 27. We used to take the old B727's in and it was one of the places where the nose wheel brakes were rather useful.
I know what you mean!! And just 5,597ft to play with!

rapidex and fluffymitten like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
It was sad to see the loss of LCY to GCI ; Aurigny gave it a good try

I wonder why carriers don’t consider a triangular pattern to LHR or LCY to cover JER and GCI

Would be a great route for BA cityflyer
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
And here I am thinking, Jersey Does have BA flights from EWR to LHR? . We got them a long time ago.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Given the number of bucket and spade destinations now served from LHR by BA it's seems obvious that if they wanted to restore JER to its rightful place they would have done so. Given the number of premium passengers on the LGW-JER route it can't be that it's not performing financially.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Given the number of bucket and spade destinations now served from LHR by BA it's seems obvious that if they wanted to restore JER to its rightful place they would have done so. Given the number of premium passengers on the LGW-JER route it can't be that it's not performing financially.
i would normally agree, but last month our 2 legs out and home had just TWO rows of CE. And the outbound was the 0705 red-eye, which is normally IME 6+ rows.

Don't ask me why, but it was a dramatic difference from our 'usual' loads at random times/dates throughout the year. Very pleasant in 1A/C, though, with personal service from the CSD who had just 5 CE pax to deal with for "High Speed Breakfast".
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:19 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Much as I would love to see LHR flights, I don’t think it will happen without a third runway. The only thing that might change in the meantime it is if the new Virgin/Flybe operation decides to have a genuine go at it.

It is nothing to do with revenues - the LGW flights are very busy, with healthy club loads and lots of status pax and premium connecting pax. The problem is that, as the only ‘mainline’ carrier serving JER (i.e the only carrier where you can reach international destinations on one ticket), and with lots of loyal BA status holding pax in Jersey, BA can capture this market anyway by serving LGW, without giving up valuable LHR slots. If KLM entered the market that would probably really shake things up...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by allturnleft
It was sad to see the loss of LCY to GCI ; Aurigny gave it a good try

I wonder why carriers don’t consider a triangular pattern to LHR or LCY to cover JER and GCI

Would be a great route for BA cityflyer
flybe inherited JER-LCY from Blue Islands when they took them over. SI were a great little outfit but I was surprised BA didn't attempt LCY-JER first.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser
flybe inherited JER-LCY from Blue Islands when they took them over. SI were a great little outfit but I was surprised BA didn't attempt LCY-JER first.
One question would be ... using which BA airframes? I don’t believe BA have a lot of LCY-capable aircraft/crews, so would it be worth the effort/investment from tneir POV?

I hasten to add my microscopic experience of JER-LCY with BE (2 round trips last year) was fine, apart from the lack of TPs/Avios ... but then our Health Department was paying for me to go to UK for free treatment!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:06 pm
formerly smoaky

BA already flies out of Newark ayyy.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:18 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
I think you may just have hit an outlier Uncle T - I have been backwards and forwards repeatedly in the last few months and CE loads have been healthy. In fact I am going out tomorrow and back on Thurs, and both flights have 6 rows of CE.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.