Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route - Dammam

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
"The route will be the only direct flight from London and launch as a daily service via Bahrain."

A direct route via somewhere. Makes sense in airline speak but is a bit daft in the real world...
Yes. It will be direct and not non-stop. The two have different meanings in regards to airline flights. It is a global thing.

Non-Stop: Flight A to B. As it says, no stops.

Direct: Makes a stop. The flight number and/or aircraft remain the same. Boarding pass is the same. Often you stay on-board the aircraft while others embark/disembark.

Connecting: You transfer at an airport to a different plane with a different flight number and a different boarding pass.

A bit ambiguous for sure.
flygirl68 and florens like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:13 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by etiene
Both might be explained by BAH being the larger destination, but with the timings for such a short hop does it really obviate much pain versus the limo transfer?
As someone whose new company (a) insists i get a full day of work before hopping on a flight to the next city and (b) has recently made it company policy to ban Bahrain-Khobar travel on the King Fahd causeway (not sure the story behind this), it is welcome news and great timing
wrp96 and etiene like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by etiene
I'm curious as to why this is doing BAH then DMM, rather than either the other way round or a triangular LHR-BAH-DMM-LHR...?

Both might be explained by BAH being the larger destination, but with the timings for such a short hop does it really obviate much pain versus the limo transfer?
Saudi Arabia is a pain for visas - even transit. A BAH-DMM-LHR would bring all sorts of issues - DMM-BAH-LHR is much easier, because it allows the BAH-LHR traffic to not go through KSA.
wrp96, etiene and george77300 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Saudi Arabia is a pain for visas - even transit. A BAH-DMM-LHR would bring all sorts of issues - DMM-BAH-LHR is much easier, because it allows the BAH-LHR traffic to not go through KSA.
I flew Lufthansa A333 on their FRA-DMM-BAH route and back a couple of times in 2017. One had to stay on the plane during the stop in DMM with alcohol and magazines hidden in the overhead bins. No need for a Saudi visa though. And the flight time between DMM and BAH was not much more than 20 minutes. LH has since changed their routing and currently flies to DMM via KUW.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Originally Posted by haapalainen
I flew Lufthansa A333 on their FRA-DMM-BAH route and back a couple of times in 2017. One had to stay on the plane during the stop in DMM with alcohol and magazines hidden in the overhead bins. No need for a Saudi visa though. And the flight time between DMM and BAH was not much more than 20 minutes. LH has since changed their routing and currently flies to DMM via KUW.
Certainly for the triangular version I was thinking of the stay-on-the-aircraft paradigm - I've done that a couple of times with TK from JRO [via MBA] and they [used to] do the same with DAR and ZNZ at least. Visa issues do make sense if one is going to backtrack though.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:25 am

I wonder whether BAH-DMM will be bookable as a Fifth Freedom flight. Could be of interest to TP runners.
Deltus likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bullswood
Will that be the world's shortest international air route?
Before the causeway was built, it was advertised as the world's shortest international flight (and most expensive per mile).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Don't see the sense in this. I used to work in Jubail which is north of Damman. It was almost always quicker to fly to Bahrain then drive up to Jubail than fly into Damman & go north. With the stopover cannot possibly be quicker plus you avoid passport control at Damman which was always a nightmare.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I wonder whether BAH-DMM will be bookable as a Fifth Freedom flight. Could be of interest to TP runners.
You must be joking. The agro of Saudi far outways the value of any Tier Points.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
You must be joking. The agro of Saudi far outways the value of any Tier Points.
Not if you're already based in Saudi...!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:32 pm

I wonder what the cabin and flight crew will do.

Will they fly LHR-BAH-DMM and stay in DMM or will they stopover in BAH and have a different crew doing BAH-DMM-BAH?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by haapalainen
In the early 90’s the Muscat flight went via Dhahran and the crews had to shut all the bars when they entered Saudi airspace and account for all empties etc. The real problem was if the aircraft went tech at Dhahran, which happened to a colleague of mine. Duty free bought in Muscat was confiscated and if I recall correctly the passengers had to stay in the terminal overnight.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Only because the real world uses language far too loosely, including often choosing to use jargon because it gives the impression of being "in the know" when the user doesn't actually know what it means.
I disagree entirely. I'm a linguist, and my view is that it is BA which is using language far too loosely in that PR.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JP Flyer

In the early 90’s the Muscat flight went via Dhahran and the crews had to shut all the bars when they entered Saudi airspace and account for all empties etc. The real problem was if the aircraft went tech at Dhahran, which happened to a colleague of mine. Duty free bought in Muscat was confiscated and if I recall correctly the passengers had to stay in the terminal overnight.
it was operated by a Tri-Star and had an awful reputation for reliability. It went tech a lot in DMM including memorably one Christmas Eve!
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Many years ago BA flew non-stop into DHA, the airport that preceded DMM. Though if I recall it was from LGW not LHR.
I recall ne flight out - 13 Jan 1991. BA's last before the "Gulf War"

Happily reminiscing about wandering
Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.