Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route - Dammam

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), GF (Gold), EY (Silver), EK; Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
I wonder what the cabin and flight crew will do.

Will they fly LHR-BAH-DMM and stay in DMM or will they stopover in BAH and have a different crew doing BAH-DMM-BAH?
Back when the 125/124 rotations continued to DOH, flight crews operated LHR-BAH, nightstopped, BAH-DOH-BAH, nightstopped, and BAH-LHR. Cabin crew did LHR-BAH-DOH.

Can't imagine a DMM nightstop would be much fun for crew
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
this is the least exciting new route BA could have announced...
Ldnn1, Diver Boy and tedcruz like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:52 am

The route will be the only direct flight from London and launch as a daily service via Bahrain.

Is this a confusing statement or what? How can something be a “direct flight” but “via” Bahrain at the same time?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Direct flight just means no plane change (or need to connect) on the route. it's not the same thing as non-stop.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I disagree entirely. I'm a linguist, and my view is that it is BA which is using language far too loosely in that PR.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Is this a confusing statement or what? How can something be a “direct flight” but “via” Bahrain at the same time?
Originally Posted by Lefly
Direct flight just means no plane change (or need to connect) on the route. it's not the same thing as non-stop.
The language used by BA is the meaning of the word in the industry, so it can't be criticised as loose language.

As Lefly says, a direct flight is a flight that takes you from A to B, with or without intermediate stops on the way.

A non-stop flight is a flight that takes you from A to B, without intermediate stops on the way.

All non-stop flights are direct.

Some direct flights are not non-stop.

Some airlines have got into the practice of calling some journeys "direct" because they have the same flight number between A and B, notwithstanding that there is an intermediate stop [b]and[/u] you have to change aircraft there. Regulators have so far neglected to do anything about this. This is unfortunate, because if your "direct" flight involves A to C on aircraft 1 and then C to B on aircraft 2, and the A-C flight is late, aircraft 2 can depart from C before aircraft 1 has arrived at C. On a true direct flight, this ought not to be possible.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by GF2B
Back when the 125/124 rotations continued to DOH, flight crews operated LHR-BAH, nightstopped, BAH-DOH-BAH, nightstopped, and BAH-LHR. Cabin crew did LHR-BAH-DOH.

Can't imagine a DMM nightstop would be much fun for crew
Madinah MED was the only nighstop worse than DMM that I can think of.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BA GfL
Many years ago, while living and working in Dubai, I used to visit our operations in Al Khobar (one of the tri-cities) about once per month.

Being a rookie I initially flew from Dubai to the old Dhahran airport and experienced the delights of the queues at immigration and customs. If you landed around the same time as the ‘guest worker’ flights of 747s from Pakistan, India or the Philippines, the time to clear formalities could be monstrous. I don’t think I ever cleared the process in under two hours.

My colleagues then advised me of the Bahrain causeway route and typically I could do touchdown in Bahrain to arriving at our base or my hotel in Al Khobar in 1-1/2 hours. Of course it was important to avoid this at Saudi weekends, with many going to and from Bahrain for R&R.

Given that the BA flight will spend an hour in Bahrain, then 45 minutes to Dammam, the ‘causewayers’ could already be in the hotel while the flyers are just joining the immigration queues. And if you’re going to Al Khobar then you have some 60km of road travel. I just don’t see where this flight arrangement makes that much sense. But anyway, horses for courses.

But thanks to BA for announcing this, so I could reminisce a bit. I recall that four of us had been in Al Khobar for the week and crossed the causeway to Bahrain airport. Once we got to the cafeteria/bar airside, we ordered EIGHT beers. The guy on the cash register noted “Ah, just in from Saudi Sirs?!”
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
As someone who lives in Saudi and does the DMM-BAH run all the time for BA flights, I must say this is a great move from BA. Hope this route can become non-stop one day.

It’s always painful to cross the causeway during weekends or holidays. You can spend 2-3 hours just on the bridge. And bear in mind it takes at least one hour to reach the airport if traffic is good in Bahrain. Good luck to cross the causeway to catch a flight from Bahrain especially during Eid holidays. I usually leave my place 5 hours before the flight to avoid any unexpected delay at causeway.

Saudi airports are doing their best to improve their service. Immigration is super fast and luggage shows up right away. Used DMM airport several times and really pleased for their improvements although I usually cross the causeway and fly out of Bahrain due to other reasons. Typically, I only spend about 20 mins from leaving the aircraft to collecting luggage. But BAH seems to slow down these days. Luggage shows up after ages although with priority tag... This really makes me to rethink flying out of BAH. But I had to suck it up as QR is blocked here. RJ and UL do serve DMM, but won’t fly with them again as personal preference. So my only choices with OW are BA and CX. But both of them don’t fly to DMM.

So BA’s move to DMM would be a great improvement for my future travel.
IAMORGAN and djbenedict like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Any word on what will become of the bus/limo transfer that BA has traditionally run to and from Khobar to meet the BAH flights?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:25 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
It appears they don't have fifth freedom/pick-up rights on BAH-DMM, just made a call to the booking line and they informed me that it was just a fueling stop Perhaps one day!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
It appears they don't have fifth freedom/pick-up rights on BAH-DMM, just made a call to the booking line and they informed me that it was just a fueling stop Perhaps one day!
I had been looking for this earlier this year, hoping it was like the old DOH-BAH flight which I loved and was incidentally my first ever flight on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.