Speculation on new F hard product

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not about the money, it is not about the ease. I can't think of an airline with F and WiFi that does not offer it for free. And I can think about some offering it for free in J. So it is about not coming across as nickle and diming the passengers in F.
At the moment, every USA-based airline that offers an F product does not offer WiFi for free. And their domestic F product blows BA Club Europe away on the plane (mostly no lounge access but actual recliners and extra seat pitch, not Y with a meal and a blocked middle).

Southwest offers WiFi for free for their A-list Preferred elites (50 flights or 70,000 points per year), but they don't have F.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

Lufthansa are one for starters
Lufthansa gives you free WiFi in F, and the code is valid for 24 hours, so if you continue on a LH short haul with WiFi available you are set for that flight as well.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
At the moment, every USA-based airline that offers an F product does not offer WiFi for free. And their domestic F product blows BA Club Europe away on the plane (mostly no lounge access but actual recliners and extra seat pitch, not Y with a meal and a blocked middle).

Southwest offers WiFi for free for their A-list Preferred elites (50 flights or 70,000 points per year), but they don't have F.
Admittedly true, my mind was on long haul F, though that was not what I wrote. I forgot to think about domestic US.

Added: But then again, the US based airlines are nickel and diming their passengers in domestic F at every step they can, except the seat. So why not also on WiFi.

​​​​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 19, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:20 pm

Lufthansa are one for starters
Nonsense.

LH provides free wifi to F passengers. LX provides a code for 50 MB allowance, but just ask for multiple vouchers to keep you going throughout the flight.

In saying that, I do not mind paying for wifi onboard, since it keeps the speed up for those that do wish to pay.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Lufthansa gives you free WiFi in F, and the code is valid for 24 hours, so if you continue on a LH short haul with WiFi available you are set for that flight as well.
Really, pretty sure I didn’t get it when I flew with them last summer, is it a new thing, or did I just not look?!

...and I assume 748s obv have it installed

Edit- Just had a google and it looks like they started in a march last year (https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa...i-first-class/), I definitely was not provided with a card by the purser, so flew oblivious. The all conquering LH F a bit inconsistent afterall!

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Mar 19, 2019 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Nonsense.

LH provides free wifi to F passengers. LX provides a code for 50 MB allowance, but just ask for multiple vouchers to keep you going throughout the flight.

In saying that, I do not mind paying for wifi onboard, since it keeps the speed up for those that do wish to pay.
It seems Emirates have that issue from the reviews
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems Emirates have that issue from the reviews

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood your comment. You are referring to speeds, rather than availability? If so, ignore below.

For Emirates, you do need to be a member of their frequent flyer program to get unlimited free WiFi in F. So a bit of a condition. Makes it complex of you want to accrued your flight to Alaska Airlines, which is one of the best options for accruing Emirates miles.

Otherwise you only get 20MB free, which is like nothing.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 19, 2019 at 7:25 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Many flights do not offer food, and what they have is very poor.

Service is also much weaker.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Please, ditch the afternoon tea. I’m sick to the bone of it.

Feel free to give the same treatment to the infamous BA steak.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey

Many flights do not offer food, and what they have is very poor.

Service is also much weaker.
Iono most long flights have food and not all US F food is AA, Delta food until recent attempts to improve it was often better than BA J long haul food on Delta's 'mid haul domestic F' etc. For a 2.5 hour and less flight I'd rather have the comfort, super non stop drinks service and a bag of crisps than worry about my meals when they're obviously going to be better either side of a plane even in a good J product long haul.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Admittedly true, my mind was on long haul F, though that was not what I wrote. I forgot to think about domestic US.

Added: But then again, the US based airlines are nickel and diming their passengers in domestic F at every step they can, except the seat. So why not also on WiFi.

​​​​​​
how are they nickel and diming F pax? bags and meals included with most domestic F services.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VSLover
how are they nickel and diming F pax? bags and meals included with most domestic F services.
Show me a US F flight departing after 8PM that has a dinner, basically a small snack no matter the length (maybe a meal premium transcon?). Any flight below 2.5 hours have no meal, just a snack basket of crisps and chocolate. No lounge access except some premium transcon routes. Try getting an extra pillow even in the F cabin. The stuff that is being served under the term wine.

I have not done the math since I don't have the data, but by number of departures, I doubt that it is actually most flights that gets a meal in F. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don’t think the question of US domestic first vs CE is the most enlighting on a thread on changes to ba F
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Please, ditch the afternoon tea. I’m sick to the bone of it.

Feel free to give the same treatment to the infamous BA steak.
Please BA, keep the afternoon tea. My wife loves it!

Feel free to keep the steak, it’s regularly what I order.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
I dont think there was free wifi on the qantas A380 in F.. at least i wastn offered anything.

and the tea in CE is marvelous!.. adding some champagne is for me the most superior short haul dining I have experienced on the market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.