Wiki Posts
Search

Will I lose access to the CCR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Will I lose access to the CCR?

We've just been told we have been downgraded from F to CW due to a change of plane (B787 to A350).

Is there any chance BA will allow us to keep the F ground experience despite now being in CW (i.e. First Wing check in and CCR and equivalent at the other end)?

I rang YouFirst earlier and they weren't sure of the answer so have gone away to think about it and email me when they have an answer.

We have the option to change flights to stay in F, but if we get the F ground experience and the new CW seat on the A350 it may be worth sticking to our current flight plan.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. I am not GGL so don't have access to CCR through status.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I can't answer for BA... but my gut feeling is yes, you will lose the F benefits.
KeaneJohn and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I'm not sure of the answer, but I suspect many here would love to know which flight you are booked onto
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'd stick with another rerouted F flight to ensure access.

I do see where your coming from but I would very much doubt somewhere in the future this would wash with lounge staff re CCR access on a J ticket and even more unlikely at an out station.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

We're on a LHR - YYZ flight in early October.

On the new CW seat thread you will see that this is one of the three routes the A350 has been announced for.

Would be happy enough if we got the F ground product just at the LHR end...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Presumably you'll get a refund (or the EC261 downgrade compensation), so that would argue against FC benefits, but it could be worth a try if your ticket shows as FC at the time you travel. If lounge staff are accustomed to granting FC lounge access when some other segment in the itinerary is in FC even before a flight with no FC cabin, they could do the same in OP's case.

However, if your ticket is reissued as business class in advance of travel, I don't think a lounge dragon would have any way of verifying that you once were booked in FC, although if the lounge is at an outstation, they might be familiar with the situation.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:44 am

Are you getting anything beyond a refund of the cash/Avios for the downgrade? That might influence my decision.

I think getting the F ground experience and the new CW seat - all at the cost of a CW ticket - would be a highly desirable outcome for most people!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Are you getting anything beyond a refund of the cash/Avios for the downgrade? That might influence my decision.

I think getting the F ground experience and the new CW seat - all at the cost of a CW ticket - would be a highly desirable outcome for most people!
We would only receive Avios refund, since we paid with 2-4-1 voucher and taxes are the same for F/ CW.

To be honest we mainly chose this route for the 787 F experience, but given the in-flight F on the later flights we have been offered (787 out/ 777 return) won't be much better than the new CW its a tough choice to swap. Also bearing in mind the later outbound 787 flight option will likely change aircraft due to the issues anyway, so could end up in an old 777 anyway, which is much less desirable.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, EC 261/2004 provides for a refund of 75% of the base segment fare, not merely the difference in cost. Thus, OP will be travelling in CW for the price of 25% of an F ticket (albeit in avios). Having paid this out, it is highly unlikely that BA will extend any F benefits to what is a CW ticket.

If, however, OP is taking this trip for the F experience, BA may be willing to reroute via another NA gateway in F, connecting to AA for a shortish transborder hop. Give some consideration to BOS or ORD.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd go for the downgrade personally. The Toronto trip is a short flight and you don't get a lot of time for F experience anyway, and the new seats would be a lot more exciting to try and out (and by the look of things arguably better than the F seats for a shorter long haul flight). There is no F experience to speak of on the way back, it's a really short flight and a poor lounge.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...if your ticket is reissued as business class in advance of travel, I don't think a lounge dragon would have any way of verifying that you once were booked in FC, although if the lounge is at an outstation, they might be familiar with the situation.
It would take a couple of seconds of research, but the PNR history and old e-ticket would show the booking in Z on the same flight.

I believe BA is still giving F ground benefits to those affected and downgraded by the current Air Belgium wetlease.
PointsPointsPoints and gorps1 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This happened to me. We checked in at Club, mentioned the downgrade and the check-in assistant said to ask for entry at the Concorde Room. She then phoned the CCR while we were going through security and we were immediately let in through the hallowed direct door. Top service and I’m only Silver.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, EC 261/2004 provides for a refund of 75% of the base segment fare, not merely the difference in cost. Thus, OP will be travelling in CW for the price of 25% of an F ticket (albeit in avios). Having paid this out, it is highly unlikely that BA will extend any F benefits to what is a CW ticket.

If, however, OP is taking this trip for the F experience, BA may be willing to reroute via another NA gateway in F, connecting to AA for a shortish transborder hop. Give some consideration to BOS or ORD.
Does the EC261/2004 still apply given we are talking about flights in circa 6 months time?

YouFirst said I would be due 38,000 Avios for the downgrade, does that sound about right? They said that was the difference between F and CW on that route.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, EC 261/2004 does apply. There is no time limit on downgrade refunds as there is for changes and cancellations.

The only way to answer your question as to amount if to ask how many avios were used in the first place. 38,000 avios would be the appropriate refind on a ticket "costing" approximately 50,000 avios. Simply take the avios for the segment and multiply by 0.75.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is general practice - and it's frequently mentioned in Customer Guidelines - that if downgraded you get to keep CCR / First Wing access, and quite often the First baggage allowance, First TPs and First Avios too. That's what happened, on this route, for Air Belgium passengers. I have to say YYZ is certainly having quite some shuffling around at the moment, all things considered. But that said, the prospect of the new CW seats means that this outcome may work out quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.