Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

You lot teased me but I prefer BA, at least for Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)

After 89 OneWorld flights, apart from two Sri Lankan exclusively with BA and 95% in Economy (I don’t count CE as business), I decided to make the most of my Silver status and use Qatar for a short trip to Myanmar. My itinerary is LGW-DOH-RGN-DOH-LHR, all in their Economy cabin. Having read the numerous posts about how poor BA is compared to most of its partners I was excited, but I’m currently halfway through the trip overlooking the lovely Swedagon Pagoda with a cocktail, but wishing instead my return flight home was on BA...

I know a lot of my poor experiences weren’t Qatar’s fault but it started at Gatwick. The North fast track security was bedlam since they were filtering the normal queue into the section. Not to be judgmental but I got the impression most people weren’t regular flyers, having to be repeatedly asked to remove belts, watches etc, slowing the whole process to a trickle. Never had this when on a BA flight from South. No OneWorld lounge in the North terminal meant I had to use the Aspire lounge. Although the staff were friendly it took an age to get in since the staff were having to work off multiple paper lists (queue was out the door to the lifts shortly after I arrived) and the setting was somewhat bland. Nowhere near the choice and quality of food and drink with BA’s offering a short transit ride away in South.

Once boarded the cabin crew were rushing around knocking into people without even an “excuse me” or “sorry”. Far from the calm BA experience where there’s normally some time to engage in pleasant welcome conversation.

The first leg was on a 787. The seats were terrible, no padding at all and within an hour I was squirming with discomfort. I flew the 15-hours LHR-SCL in BA’s 787 WT seat in comparative heaven! Fortunately I’m not a big movie watcher, because I couldn’t connect any headphones with the entertainment system; I’ve never had a broken system on BA. Instead I prefer to follow the flight’s progress but the moving map didn’t have a ‘stats window’ so I couldn’t ‘geek out’ knowing our altitude or speed, nor know the time left to destination. In fact I found the whole touch screen poorer than that on BA (bar the old 777 / 747s), with the mouse cursor not sychronised with my finger presses. The pocket on the seat in front was so tight and full with magazines, headphones etc that I couldn’t fit my small laptop in; it had to stay on my lap when not in use. I’ll excuse the screaming babies and iPads being used with no headphones. To top it all off my seat neighbor was a nightmare! However at least the plane was almost spotlessly clean.

The second leg was a A330 and despite being almost empty I was shocked by the crew taking no action to large groups of people stood up while taxiing to the runway and repeated disobedience of the seatbelt sign. Fifteen minutes before landing the passenger in front was laid across all four seats asleep when I overheard the crew asking another “should I wake him?”. This has led me to be more reassured by BA’s approach to safety.

I didn’t think the meals were any better than BA’s offering (the green Thai curry was very bland compared to KUL with BA, if I remember the route right), but it was nice for them to use metal cutlery rather than plastic. On the first leg the only alcohol service was seventy minutes before landing, not even with the food, despite being listed at the top of the paper menu. I’ve found BA always have a few mini bottles of wine on the trolley, even at breakfast. It took a lot longer to be served the meal and also for trays to be cleared away compared to every BA experience I’ve had. The crew also left the brakes off on trolleys causing me to have to grab it as it rolled down the aisle. Personal requests to the crew for a wine went unfulfilled.

Disembarking both flights the crew insisted on emptying the business cabin before letting Economy even start leaving (this took around twenty minutes), and then at DOH it was a bus transfer; good job we arrived on time!

We had a fairly long delay leaving DOH for RGN but forty minutes went past after doors closed before any announcement from the captain - I’ve always found BA brilliant in providing updates during delays.

A long ramble I know, plus I’ve probably been too picky and opinions are always subjective, but from my limited experience I now think BA’s Economy offering is actually pretty good! I will claim ignorance as I don’t travel as much as you lot (c.600 hours) but surely some BA praise wouldn’t go amiss for a change :-)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I'm in Vietnam right now, having got here on QR, and quite honestly I'd prefer to have been on BA too.

I'm looking forward to being home, but not to flying on QR.

I do appreciate that I am in Y and most of you in C or better. .
flygirl68 and stevebintley like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I think the catering on BA Y is actually very good now, after they've reversed some of the cuts. Although I haven't flown long-haul Y with anyone else for a while, I have several CA flights coming up in the next couple of months, so I'm looking forward to the compare and contrast!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:36 am

Very interesting to hear the view when traveling in economy, most comparisons are the premium cabins so that is genuinely useful as potentially planning a flight in economy or premium economy to the US later in the year.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've got hours in QR economy under my belt. And I've got a marginal preference for BA, mainly because cabin crew don't put up with any nonsense - QR (as the OP noted) are confrontation averse. Last night they did nothing much about a party who decided a stop on the taxiway was time to get up and start getting stuff out of the overheads and move towards the doors. As they moved into the C-cabin, someone came and gently shepherded them back to their seats.

AND while food on BA has sharply improved, QR has drifted downhill.

But as for the bit about rude crew barging about, I simply don't recognise anything remotely like that. I find the QR crews generally to be painfully polite and among the most helpful I meet.

They don't share BA's alcohol culture though, and you've got to ask for more - but i've never has any trouble getting it. Yesterday cabin crew were taking ad hoc orders immediately after take-off, then distributing them by hand. The same after the meal service.

The 788 seats are uncomfortable. The trick to the gaining space in the magazine thingy is to turf out the contents into the overhead. But i do that on BA, too. Probably shouldn't, but there you are.

As for preserving the sanctity of the C-cabin while waiting for steps or airbridge, that can be frustrating, but the delay in getting off is nothing like 20 minutes. The C-cabin takes only a few minutes to empty, once doors are opened, and then the economy rabble is released And the door on the 788 is immediately after the curtain. The process is something of a plus when you're in C....

Bus gates happen at Heathrow too !
stevebintley and mpkz like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Emirates, SAA, Kenya Airways, Hilton, Radisson, IHG group
I think it depends where you’re flying. I’ve just gone to Cape Town in Ba in what must be one of their oldest 747s with the entertainment system not working (what a surprise!) and I forgot to pack a US adaptor for the seat power (in club)- no USB power and none at all in economy!

I found Qatar to Sri Lanka via Doha at Xmas a luxury in comparison but on the way back we got one of their older planes which also had no seat power and was really uncomfortable (found Doha airport v easy though).

Then again the newer planes on Ba I would agree are good in economy.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How nice to read a balanced and if I may say more realistic review about QR for a change. ^
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:54 pm

Having flown to MEX 789 and HKG 380 in Y this past month I have to admit I was surprised. It was my first time in Y on those lengths.

Planes were clean. Food okay but plentiful. Alcohol sufficient. Crew very friendly.

Did I wish I was further upfront yes, but it really wasn't the terrible experience such a forum as FT would have you believe.

Couple of Stella in Spoons before and what more do you need? 😉
adrianlondon and flygirl68 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My memories of Y with BA and VS are mercifully distant, but the OP’s view on QR comes as a bit of a shock.

I sincerely hope our J booking in November (LGW-DOH-CPT) justifies my careless expenditure.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Any company can have a difficult day where things don’t go well for its customers.

BA has too many days of poor service to chalk it up to bad luck.
roy2016 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have to disagree with most of that I’m afraid. Having flown 30+ sectors in QR Y last year, I think their product is far superior to BA.

Both carriers have good and bad aircraft, and yes BA’s 788/9s are better than QRs, and yes most of the QR 332/3s aren’t in the best shape, but everything else tends to make up for it.

Cabin crew on QR are just as good as BA, if a little more polished (and sometimes less rude), always recognise your status (maybe only 10% of flights on BA) and generally are good at dealing with passenger safety (if you want a bad example, may I recommend AA who on a recent TATL flight failed to carry out a cabin secure check before takeoff or landing - there were actual carry on cases in an exit row which didn’t get dealt with).

The food on QR is it least on par with BA, and soon to improve significantly with larger portions and a new service style.

IFE is better on most QR aircraft too, I’ve never had it not work, compared to countless flights with BA where some or all of the aircraft has been offline.

Of course, opinion is all relative, but I can honestly say that given then fact QR is usually cheaper than BA direct, I will continue to chose them first, even if they leave Oneworld.
mpkz likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
I have to disagree with most of that I’m afraid. Having flown 30+ sectors in QR Y last year, I think their product is far superior to BA.

Both carriers have good and bad aircraft, and yes BA’s 788/9s are better than QRs, and yes most of the QR 332/3s aren’t in the best shape, but everything else tends to make up for it.

Cabin crew on QR are just as good as BA, if a little more polished (and sometimes less rude), always recognise your status (maybe only 10% of flights on BA) and generally are good at dealing with passenger safety (if you want a bad example, may I recommend AA who on a recent TATL flight failed to carry out a cabin secure check before takeoff or landing - there were actual carry on cases in an exit row which didn’t get dealt with).

The food on QR is it least on par with BA, and soon to improve significantly with larger portions and a new service style.

IFE is better on most QR aircraft too, I’ve never had it not work, compared to countless flights with BA where some or all of the aircraft has been offline.

Of course, opinion is all relative, but I can honestly say that given then fact QR is usually cheaper than BA direct, I will continue to chose them first, even if they leave Oneworld.
Agree with the comment on AA - on my last flight landing from LAX into LHR all of the curtains between the cabins were still closed (I’m sure this isn’t allowed for landing) and the passenger across from me in J still had her breakfast plate - the landing seemed to catch the crew entirely by surprise - most still wandering around as we crossed over Windsor.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I'd say there's a spectrum of what one is likely to experience on any given airline. For example on four QR sectors (in C) a week or so ago, one was exceptional, one was outright bad, and two were OK. I flew one mid-haul sector in Y on the 787 about a year ago, and that was very pleasant.

I've only flown BA in Y on one trip - the outbound was an empty 380 UD, CX F lounge at T3, champagne after departure, meal from PE, the most lovely crew. The return was an overnight on a full 777, a joke of a lounge in JFK, and everything was (at least felt) terrible. But I could say the same of BA F, or LX F for that matter...

Hope your return flights are pleasant enough!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have just returned from a short trip New Zealand on QR (all 4 legs in J). Maybe as I was in business, some of the OP's comments wouldn't carry over to my experience anyway, but I found the overall QR experience to be on balance better than BA, even though I didn't get a Q-Suite on any of the legs of my journey ( I had 2 x 777s, one A380 and an A350-900)

I had the old 777 2-2 seats for 2 sectors, including the looooong DOH-AKL sector, and they were better than I expected - nearly as comfortable as CW seats, although not as private. However, the provision of pyjamas and the nice thick blanket made for really refreshing sleep.

The staff were very polite (maybe too so for me) and they only refreshed wine glasses on request, rather than automatically with BA, but maybe that's more of a difference of approach rather than a poorer service.

Cabins were secured every time and I found the washrooms on all sectors to be significantly better than BA's, in terms of cleanliness, quality, the provision of amenities (e.g. toothbrush and razors available in the washrooms) and the size of the washrooms on the 777s and the A380.

I agree with the OP about the moving map summary though - my return flight was significantly disrupted with 2 diversions and it would have been really helpful to have a summary of time remaining of each sector. However, in my experience, QR J has exceeded my BA J experiences over the last 12 months.
mpkz likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
there were actual carry on cases in an exit row which didn’t get dealt with
AA don't require the floor to be clear in exit rows. Now a full size carry on blocking the entire floor space could be an issue but bags mostly under the seat in front are acceptable there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.