FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Print Wikipost

New CW ‘Club Suite’ Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, I've been studying the new photos kindly posted by JamieG. With my attention on the silver table support strut, I am wondering this...

telescopic damper. Or rigid stay?
If it’s the same as on the Air Canada seats then the table will move downwards as it moves away from the IFE screen and towards the seat. Perhaps that is the guide rail?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, I've been studying the new photos kindly posted by JamieG. With my attention on the silver table support strut, I am wondering this...

telescopic damper. Or rigid stay?
Someone up thread or at HFP said that BA was proud that their table moves down when it’s pulled out. Not sure if that means it’s higher in the stored position to avoid the knees more or if it’s just lower in the usage position (compared to say QR).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by sxc

Someone up thread or at HFP said that BA was proud that their table moves down when it’s pulled out. Not sure if that means it’s higher in the stored position to avoid the knees more or if it’s just lower in the usage position (compared to say QR).
Table is completely underneath the IFE screen and barely protrudes when stowed.
As you pull it toward you the whole unit lowers on a single sloping rail and it can stop at stowed, deployed and a mid position as well.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Purescotsman
Table is completely underneath the IFE screen and barely protrudes when stowed.
As you pull it toward you the whole unit lowers on a single sloping rail and it can stop at stowed, deployed and a mid position as well.
Yes, as per the Alex Cruz interview link posted up thread, the table has been significantly thought about and adjusted to ensure it retracts completely under the IFE so it does not stick out. BA design team were fully aware that previous designs of the table meant the table would intrude on the passengers space. BA have tried hard to avoid this in the CS.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
certainly hits all the spots for me, even when travelling with Mrs BTC as we tend to go on 1-2-1 J cabins one behind the other so the loss of the semi single space currently does not affect me.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
just reading the godsavethepoints review on the club suite and he highlights that this is the only super diamond seat that allows floor storage during taxi, take off and landing. that is pretty handy I guess I can just put that bedding on the floor.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
This was something I covered in the AusBT write-up, it's also been picked up in the very good Business Traveller interview with Alex Cruz.

In most other Super Diamond implementations I've seen, the tray – which is parked just below the video screen – juts out quite some distance even when not deployed. Virgin Australia's one really stretches out, the airline's marketing peeps went so far as to describe that as 'cocktail table mode' (although p'haps this design choice was deliberate for that reason, if you can't get the thing all the way back under the monitor you may as well extend it a bit more and make it useful in some way).

Now, in the SD seats I've been in, the tray always moves down and slides out, on rails below and either side. BA was more talking up that the table pretty much disappears under the monitor when not in use, so that you don't catch your knees on it when moving around.

This is a good example of how a 'basic' platform seat can be customised by an airline to provide practical points of difference. Biggest change of course is the sliding door. But if you look at Cathay's original (well, FB2) business class seat (early 2011?) and compare this to the Zodiac catalogue offering, you can see CX made a lot of changes to make that seat better for passengers and very much 'theirs'.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:40 pm

Heres another angle of the new seat. The walls are enough. Don't really need the door closed
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:59 pm
soy

Programs: various
While I think the door is a gimmick (regular super diamond has enough privacy) and may lead to claustrophobic feeling on day flights.....this is a very good product.
Does anyone know how this impacts density. I suppose we need to see the 777 seat map to know for sure - have BA mentioned how many seats they will fit on that aircraft?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by soy
While I think the door is a gimmick (regular super diamond has enough privacy) and may lead to claustrophobic feeling on day flights.....this is a very good product.
Does anyone know how this impacts density. I suppose we need to see the 777 seat map to know for sure - have BA mentioned how many seats they will fit on that aircraft?

i agree, it looks as though there will be quite enough privacy without the doors - and I’m a window person anyway.. seems a bit claustrophobic to me. The lack of colour makes it very dreary. Almost as though they finished designing the layout, got fed up with the whole thing and went ‘let’s just have grey - and more grey’. Still looking forward to trying it though!

NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:43 am

Do the arm rests move up and down, in particular down when fully flat?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The more pictures of the new seat I see the more I dislike it, especially when in the bed mode.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by soy
While I think the door is a gimmick (regular super diamond has enough privacy) and may lead to claustrophobic feeling on day flights.....
Ill admit I’m not getting the claustrophobic argument: with suite designs, if you don’t want your door closed, you just leave it open and you are then in your normal super diamond anyway. All you may have lost is 1-2cm added thickness to the structure on the side.

in the meantime, those of us who like doors and do not think it’s a gimmick at all can close it and get an experience we appreciate significantly more as a result.

what’s wrong with giving people choice?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:50 am

Though the I think the privacy with doors open is fine, I think people should just get over this "claustrophobic" thing based on the doors because you can have the doors open the entire flight so what your complaining about is irrelevant. Because it can literally be left wide open the entire flight. For those who want more privacy and like to feel enclosed they can have the doors closed. They aren't forcing the doors on you.
Then again people can never be satisfied . ALL the issues of old club world vanished, a new one has come out and people will STILL find something to complain about. Please.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by opus99

Heres another angle of the new seat. The walls are enough. Don't really need the door closed
Another excellent photo for analysis! Thank you!

The shoulder belt buckle could be annoying for some people, depending on their height/build, i suspect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.