Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Print Wikipost

New CW ‘Club Suite’ Discussion Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Looks great, I wonder if all those people who have been snobbish about Dubai will suddenly be fancying a trip there
Having been to Dubai (with BA in F) a few times to visit a friend who used to live there, I have no desire to return. Awful place.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by T8191
A trio of questions for those who might actually know ...

1. What are the 2 small displays on the left, one of which seems to be tucked away in the side console?

2. Is there stowage under the foot socket for a small carry-on?

3. Or ... does the bedding pack start off under the foot socket, where I would wish to put my small-ish backpack?
The one tucked away in the forward console is the IFE controller.
The one in plain view is the seat control unit. Has a touchscreen and also 3 hard buttons for the standard positions.

The small space under the footstool is certified for a small carry on. A bag or rucksack if perfect but it doesn’t do for hard carry-on cases.

Im afraid that I can’t be sure about the bedding. Not something in my realm. However my guess is that it wouldn’t be stored there. More likely the same process as currently.
dcmike and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
What isn't clear from your post is that you say QR and Oman are the best out there (with foot coffins) but also say you actively avoid foot coffins.
I expect (wrt Oman at least) the reference is to the Apex Suite:
https://apex.aero/be-aerospace-apex-suites

I've flown that product on JL and personally feel that the window seats are my favourite business product, if travelling on my own. That being said, I am also a huge fan of CX's latest generation of J seat, as well as the other Super Diamond seats I've flown before (VA, AA).

I'm a side sleeper and so having restriction around the knees is bad in my books, but I didn't have a problem with VA's seat. I also think the table design is better, as it slides up and is supported strongly at both sides, rather than swinging out and getting tired (and drooping) with age. The table can be 'docked' back all the way to the home position while it's unfolded as well (with a slightly tricky hand movement), which can be great if you need to go to the loo mid-service or without putting your laptop away.

For those asking why you should fly BA on the back of the new seat not being 'innovative' enough:
If it's "the same" as the other airlines you prefer, and they offer you better prices/timings/connections, then fly with the other airlines. Presumably you've been doing that already and BA have still been making money.

Personally, it puts BA on more of a level playing field in the future, so I think it's all good news and personally welcome this kind of competition.

Now if only someone in Europe properly were to shake up short haul business seats, then we'd be in for some good times!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I recall BA filed a patent previously about a seat that could swivel to the table (for working position) then towards the TV (for lounging and sleeping). Wonder what had happened to that?
Read the article from @Raffles on HfP this morning. There's a paragraph along the lines that a BA insider told him that previous plans were even better than what's been announced, but were shelved for unexplained reasons. I would expect that we won't get specifics, but we won't see the result of that patent. Unless it's the new F seat?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I also don't like the idea of foot coffins, and actually like the current BA CW seat if a window. Mind you this does look good with many other improvements.

What isn't clear from your post is that you say QR and Oman are the best out there (with foot coffins) but also say you actively avoid foot coffins. So out of interest what is your favourite business class seat?
Apex suite is what I meant. Q Suite was more "revolutionary" or inventive I'd say. Probably not perfect either. I don't like foot coffins, but if they are big enough it can be OK. E.g. I can't remember but maybe its Delta where it goes into a tiny triangle or was it Finnair. Whereas others aren't bad. I hear Etihad J is decent too though haven't tried but theyre seats look great and differentiate from the rest don't they?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:29 am
Suspended

Yes
Originally Posted by pythonisman
Now if only someone in Europe properly were to shake up short haul business seats, then we'd be in for some good times!
If you want to enjoy a better business short haul seat, Stobart air is operating some flights for BA from LCY at the moment in a 1-2 configuration. https://londonairtravel.com/2018/11/...ndon-city/amp/
pythonisman likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by alex67500
Read the article from @Raffles on HfP this morning. There's a paragraph along the lines that a BA insider told him that previous plans were even better than what's been announced, but were shelved for unexplained reasons. I would expect that we won't get specifics, but we won't see the result of that patent. Unless it's the new F seat?
The comment that they cut it on cost grounds is interesting. Sounded super exciting and perhaps dropped when they decided to retain F versus a few years ago when said there was no place for F? Would have been amazing to see. I guess they just thought the excitement of it wouldn't attract enough additional revenue to justify the investment. Shame.... all ways go for the top and challenge yourself to meet it!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
It's not cutting edge, but I'd happily fly this hard product. I've never been able to say the same about the current sardine-can product.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Not sure if this has been posted UT or elsewhere on FT but this is an interesting article on the evolution of BA's Club. It is pre-recent seat unveiling, but a good read with some excellent BA nostalgia in the form of old advertisement so of no doubt interest to readers of this thread!
https://londonairtravel.com/2019/03/...ys-club-world/
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
It will be interesting to see if anyone does actually does take the next 'quantum leap' in business class seats within the next 10 years. If they don't (and no-one here seems to have any ideas, so does anyone anywhere really have a clue what that might be?) then BA will for a good while have the latest and greatest version of a seat type others have tried and tested for them and in some cases got wrong (Finnair). It doesn't seem anyone else will go down the Q-Suite route due to it's economics so BA will have a whole fleet full of pretty much the best seat out there. The only improvement I've actually heard is on its way would be to for the IFE (remembering past selections, device connectivity, 4K etc, and maybe in seat climate control) but that is all stuff BA could easily evolve this seat to have as well if it becomes a selling point for others.

Also, the fact they have gone for a customisation of a standard product will make it easier to shift to another customisation of another standard product in the future. I'm sure the shift from "we must do it in-house' mentality delayed this project, now they have got over that mentality they can spend their effort building relationships with manufacturers to get the best possible outcome for future evolution of this seat and/or a replacement rather than trying to reinvent the wheel themselves.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA
I am booked on a 777 to BKK in late November - What are the chances this will be one of the refurbished with new seat aircraft? With no First product it would seem a logical choice to me....
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
The talk of innovation really at this point holds no significance right now. The worlds leading business class seat which is the Qsuite has BARELY been updated acrosss Qatar’s entire fleet. They have a long way to go with over a 100 planes still on order coming within the next 5 years and they must’ve been working on it for years (and I mean it’s a suite in businsss class? Like what more do you really want to do at this point in time what will be greater and yet more economical? I mean don’t get me wrong I’m sure more innovation is sure to come but just not now) so I’m sure they would like it to fly for a while on their aircrafts. And a point was raised that business class “innovation” is really just taken from first class and the most advanced first class today is the new SQ First on the A380. Now the fact that it has to be a single aisle cabin on the A380 just goes to show that applying it to business class is just not economically wise so in all honesty, BA has a fantastic seat going for them here and it is more than enough to turn eyes and win over the competition (especially Lufthansa - even with their own new seat)
RobDBA likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by opus99
The talk of innovation really at this point holds no significance right now. The worlds leading business class seat which is the Qsuite has BARELY been updated acrosss Qatar’s entire fleet. They have a long way to go with over a 100 planes still on order coming within the next 5 years and they must’ve been working on it for years (and I mean it’s a suite in businsss class? Like what more do you really want to do at this point in time what will be greater and yet more economical? I mean don’t get me wrong I’m sure more innovation is sure to come but just not now) so I’m sure they would like it to fly for a while on their aircrafts. And a point was raised that business class “innovation” is really just taken from first class and the most advanced first class today is the new SQ First on the A380. Now the fact that it has to be a single aisle cabin on the A380 just goes to show that applying it to business class is just not economically wise so in all honesty, BA has a fantastic seat going for them here and it is more than enough to turn eyes and win over the competition (especially Lufthansa - even with their own new seat)
Qatar has promised something new for business class to unveil at ITB in March 2020!

In general, though, we may have reached peak innovation in terms of business class seats. However, if that means that the competitive advantage starts to revolve around food, drink, lounges and service then I don't think we'd complain.

F is a different game because it exists partially as a halo to sell economy seats, in the same way that haute couture is really only done to flog perfume.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Not sure if this has been posted UT or elsewhere on FT but this is an interesting article on the evolution of BA's Club. It is pre-recent seat unveiling, but a good read with some excellent BA nostalgia in the form of old advertisement so of no doubt interest to readers of this thread!
https://londonairtravel.com/2019/03/...ys-club-world/
Thanks. Thats great article to read, clearly Walsh got it wrong with being adamant that the current CW doesn't need a reason to change when its the most economical of designs. Whilst purely on a spreadsheet of financials this maybe true, I am extremely glad that someone at BA woke up (no pun intended if you've watched the 90's BA adverts) and went for this new seat.

As per the previous thread discussing what might be coming for the new CW, had they stuck with the ying-yang and refreshed the seat with 'a bit more', I cannot imagine the onslaught and press that would have got, let alone the grilling from FT'ers. Reading that quoted paragraph from Mr Walsh shows a time when BA hit the lowest mark in their history, its basically saying...we're making money so we don't need to change" - all I can say to that is thank god for the ME carriers with their innovation. Otherwise we'd all be flying the current CW for another 20 years if Walsh had his way!

Credit where its due, if Snr. Cruz put his foot down by saying "no! we need 1-2-1 layout and a new seat" then bravo! Which still surprises me, as this is the yellow vis guy that brought us M&S sandwiches that we have pay for!

Let's hope the roll-out of this new CS is in a timely fashion.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
By chance, this change is impacting the Toronto flights we were planning (avios + 2-4-1 voucher).

Although I instinctively picked 1A (why not!?), I suspect the middle pair are probably best for a couple on speaking terms.

What are everyone's thoughts, based on the limited information we have to go off?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.