Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Print Wikipost

New CW ‘Club Suite’ Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
A few moans about it not being revolutionary - but I'd like to see how those posters would make it so without turning it into an F product density wise. Bear in mind that QSuite has already happened, and is a fair step down in density which few thought BA would be able to follow.

Original CW was revolutionary because if was a paradigm shift - I certainly can't see how things can be further revolutionised, though admittedly I'm not paid for that stuff. Then again, neither are the above armchair critics.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:28 pm
eae
In memoriam

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Looks a lot better than I was expecting, well done BA!

The fixed screen and foot chubby is a bit of a let down but it all comes down to how much space there is in the end and they had to make compromises somewhere. Can't wait to try it.

The addition of a shoulder belt is quite annoying though, I really hope it's better than the QF F where the position of the anchor point makes it very uncomfortable.

All in it looks really good!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The only configuration we know about the crewing level is the same but with the seating layout I think the service will be a lot easier to deliver.
I guess that depends on whether the crew need to kneel when talking to and serving each passenger as shown in the publicity photo!
https://media1.ausbt.com.au/1500,150...tes-2000-9.jpg
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well to be honest we are taught to get down to eye level when talking to a customer, have a look next time you fly and you will be surprised how often we do this without you noticing.
SK, Jimmie76, adrianlondon and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Greg66
Umm, suspect it will be YVR. YVR seems to be the ginger stepchild of BA's LH routes, and has been for many years.
Nonsense, BKK will be the last route to see these seats out of LHR . I suspect routes to India will lag behind as well as there's naff all competition unless you go via the Gulf (esp if Jet goes belly-up). We came back on a real old crate from BOM recently (one with the unusable IFE). As for LGW, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Very happy to see the new seat; amazed they went with a 'suite' as such, but if they hadn't I think this would have been something of a let down. I sincerely hope that they up their game on cabin cleaning as dark blue really shows the dirt and those leather 'accents' need lots of TLC.

It'll be interesting to see which routes end up with the 'lame duck' 744s - I'll miss the lovely upper deck 64K. I guess there's going to be quite a lot of airframe roulette going on over the next few years as we juggle the will-we-won't we prospects. Well, I'm looking forward to flying this cabin. I think it will bring quite a few people back and trust me, there are an awful lot of BA knockers out there at the moment. Wish they'd done this a few years ago.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
I have never ever seen my OH so excited about a plane. My face initially dropped when I saw that BA had changed our seats on our Xmas YYZ flight, until he said with a huge grin we were on the new A351! With a beaming mouth that wide he'd not get through the door into his seat!! Really looking forward to it; looks a great seat, though as ever the proof will be in the flying. Definitely can't wait. Hopefully after 3 attempts I'll also get my first BabyBus across the Atlantic this year. Happy 100th(!) BA, let the good flights roll....
T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I read somewhere amongst the many articles this morning, that Mr Cruz has said the roll-out will be between 2.5 - 3 years. I imagine if they want to limit the impact on NPS score and make up for lost years of not improving the hard product, they will try to get on with this change and do it as quickly as the seat can be manufactured. If F is also due to be updated then both will co-inside and BA will want to ensure that F customers are given an equal if not better product, otherwise expect lots of complaints from F pax suggesting that... "err these people sitting in Club Suites behind me have a better product, I want my money back or how many avios are you going to give me! Its an outrage!"

So no doubt its a balancing act over the next 3 years to get right. It will certainly be entering to see how it develops. Qatar apparently have 41 aircraft with QSuites fitted, 2 years into the rollout.
The F seat is still much bigger, I don’t think there will be too many complaints, esp on the privacy front.

There will be up to 55 other pax who will still quite easily see your head as they walk past, if not what you’re eating/ watching on TV

Compre that with 7 other pax and the associated much better service and even with no seat improvement F will still have many benefits
Padmeister, Tobias-UK and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Although undeniably more stylish and modern looking I have to say that sadly I'm actually reminded of the horrible emirates J seats (A380) which I found extremely claustrophobic. I'm not a fan of foot coffins and I have to say; I don't think I'm going to enjoy these suites with the door closed. I'm prepared to stay open-minded and eagerly await the first reviews but honestly, I'm not all that excited. On Emirates I remember I loved the window seats and HATED the centre seats and I'm curious to find out whether I'll end up feeling the same way with new BA J.

Still, I have to admit that I'm excited with the idea of changes and updates to BA's product. Its fair to say that it is long overdue.
Jimmie76 and frank_poulankh like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by etiene
A few moans about it not being revolutionary - but I'd like to see how those posters would make it so without turning it into an F product density wise. Bear in mind that QSuite has already happened, and is a fair step down in density which few thought BA would be able to follow.

Original CW was revolutionary because if was a paradigm shift - I certainly can't see how things can be further revolutionised, though admittedly I'm not paid for that stuff. Then again, neither are the above armchair critics.
Isn’t that the thing about truly revolutionary change, you don’t see it coming. Nobody saw the original BA flatbeds coming and the same with SQ and the middle eastern airlines F products, they re-invented the product rather than evolving it.

This seat is an evolution, and a very welcome one at that. But just because we can’t see the next sea change in business class air travel doesn’t mean it won’t happen. We don’t want to fall into the Charles Duell trap (“everything that can be invented has been invented” - 1899).

What is clear is that BA is now a follower rather than a leader. And that’s a decision that, to date, has worked in terms of the P&L.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:26 pm

Looks great, however no doubt First is still king, esp due to scarcity of passangers, crew per PAX and dine on request
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
What is clear is that BA is now a follower rather than a leader. And that’s a decision that, to date, has worked in terms of the P&L.
As someone based in London who flies longhaul in both directions and short-haul around Europe, if I'm going to pick one airline, BA is a natural choice for me as I can get everywhere I want to go in one stop.
So I'm naturally inclined to choose BA unless they give me a reason not to. And the Club World seat is a good reason not to fly BA.
However the new Club Suite has caught right up, there or there abouts with my favourite business class seats on all longhaul routes I frequent, so I'm now happy to fly them.

I don't need BA to be revolutionary. It's nice if they are, but if I have to pay more as a result, I'll take equal-market-leading and cheaper fares every day.
icegirl, SaraJH and Mordac like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Did you try it? In my QSuites flights I find service has been slower as crews have had to grapple the doors but as they say, YMMV
I have. It's quick and easy to open/close. A huge amount of work went into the design of the door.
orbitmic and Purescotsman like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Whilst I accept that some draw a comparison between the new BA seat and other extant iterations, I would be interested to hear what AMAZING innovation people were expecting BA to generate.

The world of aircraft seat design is to a large extent constrained by economics, available space, safety considerations and of course passenger comfort/convenience. I offer a shiny sixpence to someone who can actually come up with anything radically new that meets all those criteria affordably and practically. All any airlines can do is nibble at the edges of what is achievable, given those constraints.
morrisunc, DrGee, icegirl and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T8191
Whilst I accept that some draw a comparison between the new BA seat and other extant iterations, I would be interested to hear what AMAZING innovation people were expecting BA to generate.

The world of aircraft seat design is to a large extent constrained by economics, available space, safety considerations and of course passenger comfort/convenience. I offer a shiny sixpence to someone who can actually come up with anything radically new that meets all those criteria affordably and practically. All any airlines can do is nibble at the edges of what is achievable, given those constraints.
I thought this https://www.ausbt.com.au/british-air...s-seat-concept was really interesting.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Isn't the availability of seats a limiting factor as well?
I suspect that’s the biggest limiting factor. The rate at which BA could refit the fleet may have been an influence on the seat chosen, rather than the bespoke all-forward facing evolution of NGCW. Maybe by suing the same frame as the SuperDiamond BA can get the seats made more quickly. Given the size of the BA fleet, a few extra seats a month might make a difference.

If they are making the seats at 3 a day thats roughly equating to 1.5 ship-sets a month. It’ll take 3 years just to do the 777s and supply the A350 / 797-10s as the come online. Hopefully the 1.5 ship-sets are those earmarked for refits. The LGW 777s took about a month each, so 1.5 reconfigurations a month would imply two aircraft being refurbished at one time.

Clearly I t’s going to be a long time before the 787 gets the seats and maybe explains why the A380 still hasn’t been confirmed, each one would need 2 months worth of production.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.