Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Print Wikipost

New CW ‘Club Suite’ Discussion Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
It’s the aviation equivalent of Android Vs Apple.
I'm not sure which is which...? Is VS Apple because it looks cool but doesn't actually do what you want?

I'd say BA is more BlackBerry: something nobody else has, well-designed and good for privacy...
NoTiersForMe and Horatio like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
I'd say BA is more BlackBerry: something nobody else has, well-designed and good for privacy...
And doomed?

rb211.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I feel BA is more like Windows ... it works some of the time.
Whereas VS is more like Apple ... looks cute (YMMV) but doesn’t do nearly as much as BA.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Originally Posted by Deltus
A former market leader now relegated to the trash heap of companies that failed to continually reinvent from a position of dominance, overtaken by faster moving upstarts
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by smudge
A former market leader now relegated to the trash heap of companies that failed to continually reinvent from a position of dominance, overtaken by faster moving upstarts
I wouldn't exactly call Apple and Google (Android) upstarts!

rb211.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by pythonisman
I expect (wrt Oman at least) the reference is to the Apex Suite:
https://apex.aero/be-aerospace-apex-suites

I've flown that product on JL and personally feel that the window seats are my favourite business product, if travelling on my own. That being said, I am also a huge fan of CX's latest generation of J seat, as well as the other Super Diamond seats I've flown before (VA, AA).

I'm a side sleeper and so having restriction around the knees is bad in my books, but I didn't have a problem with VA's seat. I also think the table design is better, as it slides up and is supported strongly at both sides, rather than swinging out and getting tired (and drooping) with age. The table can be 'docked' back all the way to the home position while it's unfolded as well (with a slightly tricky hand movement), which can be great if you need to go to the loo mid-service or without putting your laptop away.

For those asking why you should fly BA on the back of the new seat not being 'innovative' enough:
If it's "the same" as the other airlines you prefer, and they offer you better prices/timings/connections, then fly with the other airlines. Presumably you've been doing that already and BA have still been making money.

Personally, it puts BA on more of a level playing field in the future, so I think it's all good news and personally welcome this kind of competition.

Now if only someone in Europe properly were to shake up short haul business seats, then we'd be in for some good times!
The issue for me has always been that to BOS there's only BA that really works with timings for connections to ACK. There's three airlines that fly that route: VS, DL & BA. VS has always arrived too late and DL has had a foot hole. I have gone on record before (multiple times) as saying I don't like the foot or feet hole. Now that BA have one and the seat pitch has been reduced it's one less reason to fly BA. Now if B6 (Jet Blue) as roumoured start doing TATL with their Mint seat to either JFK or BOS that would be really interesting. B6 do fly to ACK and if you could book LHR - ACK then that's a game changer. They'd be responsible for getting me home from the island whereas the current arrangement on Cape Air (9K) doesn't allow through ticketing.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I know some of the forum regulars are not too keen on the "suite with door" concept, but I really love it myself and this is what I was hoping for. I think it looks very promising and aspirational. I really look forward to trying it.
It's not the door that worries me it's the feet hole . However I'll wait until I've sat in it to pass judgement as it might be alright in the flesh. A modified Apex would have been my preferred option if BA were going to go down that route (pun not intended).
Old May 15, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikebg
The seat is 6'7" long.
Does anyone know how much of that is under the seat in front and how much is unconstrained?
Old May 15, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Originally Posted by Stez
Anyone know if the IFE screen tilts so you can watch it lying down?
It doesn't.
That's a shame.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opus99
Though the I think the privacy with doors open is fine, I think people should just get over this "claustrophobic" thing based on the doors because you can have the doors open the entire flight so what your complaining about is irrelevant. Because it can literally be left wide open the entire flight. For those who want more privacy and like to feel enclosed they can have the doors closed. They aren't forcing the doors on you.
Then again people can never be satisfied . ALL the issues of old club world vanished, a new one has come out and people will STILL find something to complain about. Please.
You see I didn't have many issues with the existing Club World. The seat pitch was enormous and there was nothing interrupting the airspace from floor to ceiling. I could lay my entire wheeled carry on down on the floor and fish out what I needed for the flight and restow those items before landing. One of the reasons I really like the CW seat is because BA didn't require you to put your feet under the seat in front. That's what you do in economy not business class.

Years ago I tried out the old CO flat seat (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/2a...17051e5ca8.jpg)at a travel show. I made this point to the gentleman running the stand who conceded that feet under seats did reduce seat pitch. Also agreed that the design forced you to climb over your seat mate. He did the attempt to counter it with the other features of the seat but his major selling point of an ipod video connector wasn't swaying me. The last CO seats (https://www.letsflycheaper.com/image...l-airlines.jpg) were I think the old Eos seats/layout which gave aisle access to everyone but no feet under seats. For me putting a shell round that and you had something approaching a winner. This is why I liked the BA design that was very similar (https://www.liligo.co.uk/travel-maga...5393102770.png) on the patent books. It wasn't used which is a shame, Oman Air is the closest to this (http://samchui.com/wp-content/upload...ss-B787-40.jpg)
Old May 16, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
... That's what you do in economy not business class...
That's not a given although I understand that may be what you believe. Business class is not immune to the powers of the market. Provide accommodation that is dense enough to optimize space utilization while providing an attractive enough product. I think it's fairly easy to see how the Club Suite (and other airlines' business class products) came to be. While the CS may not be good for you, I think it is for the majority of people, and therefore BA.

For me being able to book a seat with aisle access is more important that not having my feet in a box provided the box is big enough. If that box is under the seat in front is irrelevant to me.

rb211.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
I have gone on record before (multiple times) as saying I don't like the foot or feet hole. Now that BA have one and the seat pitch has been reduced it's one less reason to fly BA. Now if B6 (Jet Blue) as roumoured start doing TATL with their Mint seat to either JFK or BOS that would be really interesting..
The JetBlue Mint seats have foot-wells too though... especially the coveted Mint Suite seats which have really tight foot space. The renderings suggest overall more space in the new BA Suite than Mint. Although I agree neither compares to the leg and foot freedom of current CW, which I am a fan of. Still - I'm willing to make the compromise for a hopefully upgraded experience elsewhere.
etiene likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RB211
That's not a given although I understand that may be what you believe. Business class is not immune to the powers of the market. Provide accommodation that is dense enough to optimize space utilization while providing an attractive enough product. I think it's fairly easy to see how the Club Suite (and other airlines' business class products) came to be. While the CS may not be good for you, I think it is for the majority of people, and therefore BA.

For me being able to book a seat with aisle access is more important that not having my feet in a box provided the box is big enough. If that box is under the seat in front is irrelevant to me.

rb211.
I'm well aware that Mint has the feet box but then BA will eventually. When that happens one reason for flying BA will become redundant. Another reason I like flying BA is because they have four flights a day to/from BOS. However I continue on to the island of ACK which can be difficult to get off of but where B6 also fly to. If there aren't any flights off the island (due to weather etc.) I have to get the ferry and then either drive or get the coach to BOS to catch the BA flight back to LHR. If I don't make it chances are I'll have to buy a new BA ticket which won't be cheap. Therefore if I can get a through ticket LHR/LGW/etc. to ACK on B6 then it becomes a different story. If B6 can't get me off ACK for their TATL flight then that's their problem not mine and I don't have to buy a new ticket.

If I've got to have a feet box whichever airline I choose then other factors come into play like through ticketing. I appreciate that seat pitch isn't as important to everyone. Some people aren't bothered if it's not very big and that's fine for them. However I've been spoilt by the vast space on the current BA seat which I will miss.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 16, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 2:01 pm

I'm well aware that Mint has the feet box but then BA will eventually. When that happens one reason for flying BA will become redundant. Another reason I like flying BA is because they have four flights a day to/from BOS. However I continue on to the island of ACK which can be difficult to get off of but where B6 also fly to. If there aren't any flights off the island (due to weather etc.) I have to get the ferry and then either drive or get the coach to BOS to catch the BA flight back to LHR. If I don't make it chances are I'll have to buy a new BA ticket which won't be cheap. Therefore if I can get a through ticket LHR/LGW/etc. to ACK on B6 then it becomes a different story. If B6 can't get me off ACK for their TATL flight then that's their problem not mine and I don't have to buy a new ticket.

If I've got to have a feet box whichever airline I choose then other factors come into play like through ticketing. I appreciate that seat pitch isn't as important to everyone. Some people aren't bothered if it's not very big and that's fine for them. However I've been spoilt by the vast space on the current BA seat which I will miss.
Not sure I would consider a lower/main deck window CW seat without direct aisle access "vast space" (more of a open plan coffin) but I get your point.

rb211.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by RB211
Not sure I would consider a lower/main deck window CW seat without direct aisle access "vast space" (more of a open plan coffin) but I get your point.

rb211.
It’s a point that has been covered a lot in this thread already and I think the one you made earlier about most people obviously preferring aisle access over it is obviously the case and why BA eventually went with the option they did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.