Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the celebrity is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rickg523

On FT, to me anyway, this always comes off as apologists simply trying to devalue a discussion that may not show their preferred carrier in the most positive light.
It would be a boring forum if the discussion was all one sided would it not?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:04 pm

If it's Piers Morgan then I am very disappointed, he seemed like an upstanding fellow back when I watched him on American TV news.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
If it's Piers Morgan then I am very disappointed, he seemed like an upstanding fellow back when I watched him on American TV news.
David Icke was good on TV for a while too.
flygirl68, SaraJH and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was the request for security reasons?

Ambassadors typically behave with extreme grace and deference as that is the image they wish to portray of their home country.
Unfortunately not all of them.

Why would someone associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers need security? Where they losing that badly at the time?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:50 pm

I find that a sense of entitlement is often incredibly inflated in those with power and/or wealth. Those kinds of people are used to getting their way, so why stop now? A sad kind of human being who have no idea or the ability to comprehend how that gentleman was sitting in 1A. Hopefully he gets shamed publically soon

Can you imagine if that 1A occupant was someone equally/more well-known/wealthy/powerful? This likely would not have happened.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would disagree. I thought he was an obnoxious idiotic jerk on CNN, and it didn't end well. In his defense, IIRC he was Larry King's replacement so that might have been a difficult slot to fill, although now Anderson Cooper seems to do fine with it.

He's obviously free to have opinions on Brexit but I don't care. I'd rather listen to a random UK citizen or resident.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by rickg523
As an American, this thread had been just as interesting without the name. I don't know who Peter Mandelsohn is, can't even imagine guessing which anti-Brexit politician AC refers to. I think a defamation suit brought by an English politician not named Churchill in the US would be laughable and possibly impossible to find a jury who would even recognize, for example, Mr. M as a public figure.
I'd like to add that only boring part of this thread, a common problem on every online forum, is the useless and uninteresting speculation about whether the story presented by the OP is true or not. Discussion of the issues presented - how you would react, did the crew respond appropriately, what you think the crew should have done, like that - is, or at least can be, illuminating. This is the case regardless of the level of absolute veracity in the OP. In other words, unless we are only interested in sworn depositions, we kind of have to deal with a post at it's face value.
Discussing whether the OP is a liar or not, is simply a waste of time. And in the end, doesn't even matter a whit to the debate that the OP engenders.
On FT, to me anyway, this always comes off as apologists simply trying to devalue a discussion that may not show their preferred carrier in the most positive light.
Well said. This hobby of guessing on most threads goes on seemingly forever ! It seems a curtailment of such would deprive the guessers of perhaps their fav pasttime.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
It would be a boring forum if the discussion was all one sided would it not?
Not to mention FTs servers busting at the seams.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
It's A M ar$e and he is a total t*t at LGW First lounge when flying down to Nice so I'm not surprised that he bullied an upgrade from business to first then bullied his way into 1A. Given nobody can stay up to watch his UK program I'd say is value to BA is very low.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by UKTony
It's A M ar$e and he is a total t*t at LGW First lounge when flying down to Nice so I'm not surprised that he bullied an upgrade from business to first then bullied his way into 1A. Given nobody can stay up to watch his UK program I'd say is value to BA is very low.
Kindly update the wiki post
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
If it were Piers Morgan we would already know about the incident. This is a man who's not shy of self promoting himself, good or bad
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:06 pm

I genuinely feel for your Dad in the circumstances described, but that's been said 175 times before, which must be near the FT "quick round of righteous hand-wringing" record.

If you do need advice, as requested, rather than sympathy and are considering legal action on some basis, why do you feel disclosing a date and flight (or just route) would compromise this?

One of the benefits of this forum is that there may well have been fellow FT'ers on the flight (especially in our well patronised 747 F cabin, and where any altercation involving front to back row to-ing & fro-ing is pretty hard to miss) who will no doubt do everything to assist your case.

If I were in your shoes as an FT member and considering legal action, my original approach to this forum would have been along the lines of:
"Were any of you on flight BAxxx on xxx date and perhaps saw my elderly Dad having to change seats because of a bumptious celebrity?"
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Bullswood; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Here is my take on this.

While I agree that the celebrity was a DYKWIA, the fact that this DYKWIA could not unilaterally force another passenger to vacate a seat for his/her own enjoyment. So I don't believe revealing the celebrity's identity is proper.

BA is totally at fault on this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have come up with an idea that would only work on the ground or on wifi equipped aircraft but could be quite effective.

Make the DYKWIA pay 1,000 to the charity of your choice in return for your seat
No donation, no swap.
Hmmm... that had me thinking about what I will sometimes say to people in the supermarket queue who want go in front of me: "How much? If you want to go ahead of me, using my time, make me an offer." Surprisingly, and a little disappointingly, no one has ever done so.

"You want 1A? How much?" (Remembering of course that any counter offer you make does not have to be lower than the previous offer. )
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Here is my take on this.

While I agree that the celebrity was a DYKWIA, the fact that this DYKWIA could not unilaterally force another passenger to vacate a seat for his/her own enjoyment. So I don't believe revealing the celebrity's identity is proper.

BA is totally at fault on this.
Well BA, no ifs or maybes there, then! (apologies for the edit but my original post was in trying to understand the above comment - it does of course make perfect sense if you add the word "is" between "fact" and "that").

Last edited by Bullswood; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Was the request for security reasons?

Ambassadors typically behave with extreme grace and deference as that is the image they wish to portray of their home country.
Actual trained and experienced diplomats would behave like that, but in the US prized ambassadors positions are gifted by the President often in return for campaign contributions.
Dambus likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.