Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Swampz64
Milliband only had protection when he was Foreign Secretary, once he left that post for a non protected position he wasn’t entitled to protection.
Of course ... and to my amusement he clearly didn't know how to disembark at IAD efficiently! He should have read FT.

However, I digress. Back to an earlier question I posed, how DID the OP's father end up in 1A? Just luck at OLCI, or at the airport?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
So you would have allowed the old man to be bullied out of his seat?
Did I say that, are you sure the crewmember dealing with the initial conversation was aware of that, I don’t think they were but I maybe wrong?
navylad and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:23 pm

Given Piers Morgan makes reference to being an important BA customer, liking seat 1A, i’m Going with him!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Why?

This isn't a court of law or a thesis. It is a public forum and online community where we interact, speculate, guess, discuss and stimulate and are stimulated. In my view healthy speculation as to who the celebrity is adds much interest and colour, as long as we don't falsely accuse anyone.
Because it leads to a number of famous people having been already gratuitously associated with very unpleasant behaviour whilst they have, by definition, nothing to do with the case since between zero and one of the people named or hinted at will have.

You are absolutely right, we are not a court of law, I said so myself. But I find it utterly indecent and certainly in no way healthy to have a forum where we speculate on people having behaved disgracefully for exactly zero reason. And precisely, it is unfairly hinting that someone "may have been" or "is guessed to have been" guilty of the ugly behaviour the OP report.

Being famous does not mean having to be suspected of random horrors and I find it irresponsible on our collective part to engage in that sort of thing, but also unhelpful on the part of the OP to have caused such speculation because of his hinting. In my view, if he decides, for whatever reason to keep the identity of the person secret, he should do just that, and if he feels that the person ought to be exposed, he should be clear about who he is accusing. Others have already made specific suggestions as to how this can be done easily.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Reserve it, no. Available when you're checking in? Fair game.
Actually, quite rarely so. With TS, even if no gold has selected it, it will typically be only available to some still fairly frequent flyers, likely silver/sapphire. On US-UK routes, you do not only have BAEC high status passengers but also AA ones to consider. 1A/1K being available to someone without status in F can undoubtedly happen, but would likely be an extremely rare scenario.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JayeJ
If you can't prove you are telling the truth it could be a problem, though, yes? I can understand that a private person would want to avoid a potential court case when there would be no benefit.
Which is why, as suggested, the best thing to do is to write to a newspaper the OP's father trusts. They can do their fact checking and if they find the accusations credible, they can act upon them and name and shame a person behaving in a way that would be deemed unacceptable by most. By contrast, dropping "hints" on a public forum is not a solution.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by davie355
Was the request for security reasons?

Ambassadors typically behave with extreme grace and deference as that is the image they wish to portray of their home country.
No. He was no longer the ambassador at that point. he'd resigned a month prior and wasn't still serving in the role. He just wanted 1A. He was prepared to leave his wife behind in 5E too, as I was never directly asked to switch. So, read into that what you will.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Because it leads to a number of famous people having been already gratuitously associated with very unpleasant behaviour whilst they have, by definition, nothing to do with the case since between zero and one of the people named or hinted at will have.
I think you are conflating two acts to make your point. Act 1 was to bring to the forum's attention another instance, within the last 3 years, in which a political celebrity had also demanded seat 1A be vacated for him, in a very similar high-handed manner. Pointing out this very similar act, on the part of a politician, was entirely relevant and interesting to this matter. Act 2 is how you feel that people will draw conclusions that this person is one and the same as this instance. I am responsible for Act 1, but I do not think I am responsible for Act 2.

You are absolutely right, we are not a court of law, I said so myself. But I find it utterly indecent and certainly in no way healthy to have a forum where we speculate on people having behaved disgracefully for exactly zero reason. And precisely, it is unfairly hinting that someone "may have been" or "is guessed to have been" guilty of the ugly behaviour the OP report.
I personally made no such hints or guesses. However, the OP's thread title is click-bait - 'Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity" ', and people clicking on the thread may understandably be expecting to see who the celebrity was, and be disappointed. As I said before more than once, the OP has every right not to disclose the celebrity's identity, but human nature as it is, people are bound to speculate, privately or on the forum, this is normal, as I said, human beings love a mystery.

Being famous does not mean having to be suspected of random horrors and I find it irresponsible on our collective part to engage in that sort of thing, but also unhelpful on the part of the OP to have caused such speculation because of his hinting. In my view, if he decides, for whatever reason to keep the identity of the person secret, he should do just that, and if he feels that the person ought to be exposed, he should be clear about who he is accusing. Others have already made specific suggestions as to how this can be done easily.
When you use strong words like 'indecent' or 'irresponsible' and 'unhelpful' against members like myself, you use language which ironically is likely to cause hurt and negatively impact upon the collective forum that you purport to protect.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:43 pm

I think you are conflating two acts to make your point. Act 1 was to bring to the forum's attention another instance, within the last 3 years, in which a political celebrity had also demanded seat 1A be vacated for him, in a very similar high-handed manner. Pointing out this very similar act, on the part of a politician, was entirely relevant and interesting to this matter. Act 2 is how you feel that people will draw conclusions that this person is one and the same as this instance. I am responsible for Act 1, but I do not think I am responsible for Act 2.
Well, that's zero correct guesses out of two What I am referring to in terms of how I think that the OP has incited speculation is this:

Originally Posted by Killian_S
He is more a corporate / political "celebrity" and often comes on TV giving his opinion about Brexit, how we should reverse it, etc.

And what I am referring to in terms of the forum biting is the various specific names and initials that have been volunteered as a guessed culprit.

I have no problem whatsoever with people highlighting the resemblance between the situation the OP describes and the case reported in the article linked upthread. What I am objecting to is people suggesting that it sounds like [specific person] was probably the person misbehaving.

I personally made no such hints or guesses.

[...]

When you use strong words like 'indecent' or 'irresponsible' and 'unhelpful' against members like myself, you use language which ironically is likely to cause hurt and negatively impact upon the collective forum that you purport to protect.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why you feel targeted by my comments. As you rightly point out, you mad no such guesses, and my point was clearly about why I find it unwise to guess. I answered your post because you were the one asking me "why" I was suggesting that one shouldn't made those guesses and I do find it irresponsible and unhelpful to suggest that a specific person (be he/she famous or not) may well been guilty of what the OP described for exactly no reason. In that context, I am not trying to protect the forum but to resist a cycle whereby we end up collectively casting suspicion on innocents. It may not matter to you but it does to me.

For what it's worth, we cannot ignore the fact that Flyertalk is just a social medium in exactly the same way as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. There is plenty of research on the role played by such social media - often unwittingly and unintentionally - in become vectors of fake news through rumour. I cannot imagine anyone familiar with those particular studies not seeing the parallel with the ways some of the discussion on this particular thread has evolved.

In any case, I have said what I had to say on this front and do not plan on contributing to this thread further so you (or anyone else) can comfortably ignore my thoughts on the matter.
HMPS and navylad like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Whether it was ACampb..... or not it’s irrelevant, this person was a First Class bully. I can only hope that future 1A sitters have the wherewithal to give him short shrift and tell him to bugger off.
Bullying is really ugly. We should all stop it, and that includes cabin crew.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:09 pm

Well, that's zero correct guesses out of two What I am referring to in terms of how I think that the OP has incited speculation is this:

And what I am referring to in terms of the forum biting is the various specific names and initials that have been volunteered as a guessed culprit.

I have no problem whatsoever with people highlighting the resemblance between the situation the OP describes and the case reported in the article linked upthread. What I am objecting to is people suggesting that it sounds like [specific person] was probably the person misbehaving.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why you feel targeted by my comments. As you rightly point out, you mad no such guesses, and my point was clearly about why I find it unwise to guess. I answered your post because you were the one asking me "why" I was suggesting that one shouldn't made those guesses and I do find it irresponsible and unhelpful to suggest that a specific person (be he/she famous or not) may well been guilty of what the OP described for exactly no reason. In that context, I am not trying to protect the forum but to resist a cycle whereby we end up collectively casting suspicion on innocents. It may not matter to you but it does to me.

For what it's worth, we cannot ignore the fact that Flyertalk is just a social medium in exactly the same way as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. There is plenty of research on the role played by such social media - often unwittingly and unintentionally - in become vectors of fake news through rumour. I cannot imagine anyone familiar with those particular studies not seeing the parallel with the ways some of the discussion on this particular thread has evolved.

In any case, I have said what I had to say on this front and do not plan on contributing to this thread further so you (or anyone else) can comfortably ignore my thoughts on the matter.
Fair enough, thsnks for clarifying it wasnt me you were targeting. I do think that given the thread flow, what wasn't said, and our history, it wasnt thst big a stretch for me to think you were including me. Regarding speculation I just disagree with you on that point. Anyway, time to move on perhaps. I never cared for 1A anyway. 2A is better
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Killian_S
UPDATE.

I have contacted BA to complain, haven't received a response yet. I have also requested legal opinion (in the absence of which I shall not name the individual).
If you can't post their name here, maybe throw the story to this little website (the missing part of the url starts with b and ends in h, 5 letters - the American purity filters blocking it out!!) and see if they can have some fun with it.......
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have two points to make, but I’m not sure you’ll like either one. But let me begin by saying that this sort of bullying is totally unacceptable and the useless BA crew should be called out.

1. Your father should simply have resisted. I expect most of us would have. He’s probably too polite and well-mannered though.

2. Who are we talking about? You don’t have any legal issues to worry about, especially in this Instagram day and age.
If he is a celebrity, he will like the publicity !
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
I flew CW to IAD with David Miliband, and he didn't have Security ... otherwise we wouldn't have beaten him off the People Eater and through immigration.

Mind you, he was almost a nobody by then.
David who
T8191 and DragonSoul like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Gus McLean
Given Piers Morgan makes reference to being an important BA customer, liking seat 1A, i’m Going with him!
that was my guess too

AC in this context I believe is one of Tony Blair’s former media advisers or whatever the correct title was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.