Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How did the OP’s father manage to snag 1A in the first place? One has to assume it was amazingly available at check-in/OLCI, whereas the DYKWIA (or his PA) left it too late?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Markie
I've been thrown out of my seat exactly twice by a celebratory - John Major and Tracey Emin - in advance, at check-in.
Who is this celebratory Tracey Emin?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been thrown out of my seat exactly twice by a celebratory - John Major and Tracey Emin - in advance, at check-in.
Clearly before you became a Moderator here, otherwise they would have known who you were!
Markie, orbitmic, Pascoe and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Contrast this about 6 years ago, January 2013, with a similar experience. My ex-gf and I were in row 1 on the 744 LHR-PHX. Dan Rooney, former US Ambassador to Ireland and senior executive for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was on the flight and wanted 1A. Ex-gf was paged at gate and request to switch was made, we declined. Same request was made on board, FA clearly said we don't have to switch if we don't want to. "It's an ambassador, one of yours actually."
MSPeconomist and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I actually had a similar experience today tho not with BA. Flying with an airline I don't use regularly, I decided to pay for an exit row, my priorities are legroom and choice of meal. The only ones left were middle and I chose front and left

Getting to my seat the man in the aisle had put his mobile and other belongings on my seat. I smiled and said I was in B. He immediately said there were seats on the other side free where I could sit as he was going to work. 2 crew members came over and told me to wait till after take off and then move. It wasn't an order exactly but there was an assumption I would comply. No one asked my opinion. To resist I would have had to be quite assertive, even rude.

Anyway sat in my allocated seat wondering what I would do. Last minute the occupant of the window appeared and said could he sit somewhere else. As boarding was complete, cc said yes and I solved the issue by moving into the window seat, which suited me.

At some point csm came along and said to my neighbour something like oh good you got your space, anything else we can do for you. Not anyone famous, we were in y, but I'm guessing high status with the airline.

I can completely understand how with an assertive passenger reorganising and crucially the crew seeming to go along with it; it's easy to feel like you don't have a choice.
Gerbs, ttama and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by T8191
Clearly before you became a Moderator here, otherwise they would have known who you were!
DYKWIA or DYKWIHB?
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Contrast this about 6 years ago, January 2013, with a similar experience. My ex-gf and I were in row 1 on the 744 LHR-PHX. Dan Rooney, former US Ambassador to Ireland and senior executive for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was on the flight and wanted 1A. Ex-gf was paged at gate and request to switch was made, we declined. Same request was made on board, FA clearly said we don't have to switch if we don't want to. "It's an ambassador, one of yours actually."
Was the request for security reasons?

Ambassadors typically behave with extreme grace and deference as that is the image they wish to portray of their home country.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by JayeJ
I think it is safe to assume there are a fair number of passengers who don't read FT who could be intimidated into giving up their seat. I also think it's wise to not publish the name of said individual. I know laws are different in the UK but in the US there was a defamation law suit successfully litigated on behalf of a public official against a (relatively speaking) private individual for over $1,000,000.
truth is an absolute defense to defamation
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayeJ
I think it is safe to assume there are a fair number of passengers who don't read FT who could be intimidated into giving up their seat. I also think it's wise to not publish the name of said individual. I know laws are different in the UK but in the US there was a defamation law suit successfully litigated on behalf of a public official against a (relatively speaking) private individual for over $1,000,000.
As an American, this thread had been just as interesting without the name. I don't know who Peter Mandelsohn is, can't even imagine guessing which anti-Brexit politician AC refers to. I think a defamation suit brought by an English politician not named Churchill in the US would be laughable and possibly impossible to find a jury who would even recognize, for example, Mr. M as a public figure.
I'd like to add that only boring part of this thread, a common problem on every online forum, is the useless and uninteresting speculation about whether the story presented by the OP is true or not. Discussion of the issues presented - how you would react, did the crew respond appropriately, what you think the crew should have done, like that - is, or at least can be, illuminating. This is the case regardless of the level of absolute veracity in the OP. In other words, unless we are only interested in sworn depositions, we kind of have to deal with a post at it's face value.
Discussing whether the OP is a liar or not, is simply a waste of time. And in the end, doesn't even matter a whit to the debate that the OP engenders.
On FT, to me anyway, this always comes off as apologists simply trying to devalue a discussion that may not show their preferred carrier in the most positive light.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Was the request for security reasons?

Ambassadors typically behave with extreme grace and deference as that is the image they wish to portray of their home country.
I flew CW to IAD with David Miliband, and he didn't have Security ... otherwise we wouldn't have beaten him off the People Eater and through immigration.

Mind you, he was almost a nobody by then.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Originally Posted by Can I help you

Please explain what the crew did wrong?
Answer: "Dad then complained to the cabin manager, but was met with indifference from that lady."
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes I understand that, I should have made it clear that I meant the crewmember dealing with the “celebrity”.
Now as a SCCM I really don’t know how I would have handled the conversation with the OPs father, would I have offered to move him back, probably not, I would have been very sympathetic and made sure he was given lots of attention. What I most certainty would have done is speak to the “celebrity” how strong a conversation would have depends on what I had been told by the father.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Varies
I was harrassed and bullied by a man sitting next to me on a Virgin flight. I requested help from the crew who told me we'd both be met by police on arrival unless we stopped causing trouble. I have wondered since whether they're trained to avoid conflict by appeasing bullies, rather than defending the bullied. This may be what happened here too.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Milliband only had protection when he was Foreign Secretary, once he left that post for a non protected position he wasn’t entitled to protection.
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes I understand that, I should have made it clear that I meant the crewmember dealing with the “celebrity”.
Now as a SCCM I really don’t know how I would have handled the conversation with the OPs father, would I have offered to move him back, probably not, I would have been very sympathetic and made sure he was given lots of attention. What I most certainty would have done is speak to the “celebrity” how strong a conversation would have depends on what I had been told by the father.
So you would have allowed the old man to be bullied out of his seat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.