Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have come up with an idea that would only work on the ground or on wifi equipped aircraft but could be quite effective.

Make the DYKWIA pay Ł1,000 to the charity of your choice in return for your seat
No donation, no swap.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This would undoubtedly be a very unpleasant situation for an elderly gentleman.

That said there is such a thing as telling too much or too little. I think that withholding identity would be fine, naming the person would undoubtedly be fine too if what is reported is accurate, but dropping ‘hints’ that lead others to speculate on the identity of the culprit and effectively suggesting names of people undoubtedly entirely unrelated to the story is in my view very unhelpful.

As to what to do, I agree ft is not the place to check the details of a story. If things happened as the op describes, they deserved to be out so op’s father should just alert a newspaper of his choice who can then do their own fact checking and report a factual story in the public interest. 744 f cabin is such that some other pax will have heard the discussion, row 1 is normally reserved to emerald/gold so with relevant flight details, competent journalists can trace passenger in 1K and check what they saw or heard as well as crew and report accordingly. Here is not the place to prejudge those checks which we are not equiped to do.
Stez, navylad and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:50 am

I can totally imagine this happening to my 70+ year old mom... she's a timid lady... totally non confrontational and takes something that remotely sounds like authority from someone feigning authority as instruction to do as asked. The sad thing is some people do get bullied because they are non the wiser. Sigh.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have come up with an idea that would only work on the ground or on wifi equipped aircraft but could be quite effective.

Make the DYKWIA pay Ł1,000 to the charity of your choice in return for your seat
No donation, no swap.
I'd add at least a couple zeros to that number, although if the person really is a jerk, he/she could agree to the charitable contribution and renege as soon as the flight is over. Perhaps a wire transfer by cell phone before the aircraft door is closed? Otherwise, the check could fail to ever be in the mail.

I'm still trying to imagine anyone, however nasty he/she is, approaching a stranger with the "I'm much more important than you are" speech rather than a more nuanced version that's less insulting to the other person, perhaps along the lines of explaining that one must arrive as well rested as possible because one works so hard with such a tight schedule on things that matter and simply must be in top form to negotiate or whatever upon landing. Since the DYKWIA guy was asking for a favor, this doesn't seem to be a smart approach, although it unfortunately worked.

It's too bad grandfather didn't ask for a business card to verify that the guy was as important as he claimed, although I guess a convincing lookalike could have fake business cards printed too.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 18, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I. The sad thing is some people do get bullied because they are non the wiser. Sigh.
Thankfully most are just nice people who are only too willing to do someone a favour....even an idiot.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
...That said there is such a thing as telling too much or too little. I think that withholding identity would be fine, naming the person would undoubtedly be fine too if what is reported is accurate, but dropping ‘hints’ that lead others to speculate on the identity of the culprit and effectively suggesting names of people undoubtedly entirely unrelated to the story is in my view very unhelpful...
Why?

This isn't a court of law or a thesis. It is a public forum and online community where we interact, speculate, guess, discuss and stimulate and are stimulated. In my view healthy speculation as to who the celebrity is adds much interest and colour, as long as we don't falsely accuse anyone.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd add at least a couple zeros to that number, although if the person really is a jerk, he/she could agree to the charitable contribution and renege as soon as the flight is over. Perhaps a wire transfer by cell phone before the aircraft door is closed? Otherwise, the check could fail to ever be in the mail.
That's why I put "I have come up with an idea that would only work on the ground or on wifi equipped aircraft but could be quite effective."

In other words, online donation. Only swap after seeing the proof
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This rude, self important bully needs to be publicly shamed. I think he may have picked on the 81 year old knowing he may be an easy target to bully into moving. Really bad case of DYKWIA.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Some Common Core reading issues going on. We'll cover comprehension skills in the next lesson.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
I assumed it might be Peter Mandelson, having read a very similar story on FT a while back.

I don't yet have enough posts under my belt to post a link but this might help someone identify it - 26992311-post34
I immediately assumed someone with the initials AC
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
There are similarities to when it was previously reported on FT that a political celebrity asked someone to move from his favourite seat 1A on a different airline.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I can totally imagine this happening to my 70+ year old mom... she's a timid lady... totally non confrontational and takes something that remotely sounds like authority from someone feigning authority as instruction to do as asked. The sad thing is some people do get bullied because they are non the wiser. Sigh.
My 71-year-old mum would have eviscerated him.

However, I understand how many people of that generation would be intimidated and not want to "cause a fuss".
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We all age differently, as most of you will discover.

Certainly this 74-yo would have given the interloper short shrift.

“So you always use this seat do you? So do I. Good day, sir.”
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by blammo
Alex Cruz?
SK, SFO777, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by blammo
strangely enough, so did I
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Well, we can forgive your father for complying, as he is 81 and wouldn't understand the proper way to handle a DYKWIA celebrity.

I would have taken out my phone, and began recording the celebrity demanding that I vacate my seat, and recorded the FA taking his side about it. Celebrities are afraid of a-hole scandals like that. Imagine having to explain on twitter why you picked on an old man. And BA of course, would hate to be embroiled in that story as well. A smart FA would suddenly see the bigger picture as well.

In any case, it IS worth a complaint. Not that much will come of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.