Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You seem to be including me in your holier-than-thou admonishment. I completely respect the OP's limits on this, and posted a link to a previous story with uncanny similarities. The OP has every right to withhold the name, and we have every right to speculate. We are humans, we find mysteries irresistible. Go easy on the OP, yes, but go easy on ourselves too.
That was well put. I, too read the threads and have to admit that there appears to be a trend. I do not doubt that I too am one of the above villains and you can see how much I care. Does being on the internet mean that we have to suspend any common sense?

I think that we have a first in one measure - this maybe the first time since I have been here that anyone has taken legal advice as to whether to post anything or not - including Celebrity names. Indeed, have there not been Celebrity on BA threads. How did anyone know when posting their experiences that the celebrity should not have been there and could have ended up in the divorce courts. I have had that very situation - more than once we had people who went to extraordinary lengths to avoid being recognised so that no one would know where they had gone. Again, correct me if I am wrong, but for what could anyone be sued - assuming that the perpetrator could be identified. Slander given that this was relayed by word of mouth by the OP's Dad, or libel since it would be here in writing. Since I would be surprised it the "celebrity" knew (or from his reported manner, cared) about the identity of the person in question. I would have considered the risk extremely low. Anyway, I am not a barrister so I do not know except that which common sense indicates

Since we have now settled the question of the the role of the Cabin Crew, I agree the we all love a mystery and I think for me the mystery is why the OP's Dad gave his consent to move since he was not turfed out.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Having read all the posts (yes, really!) I cannot see any evidence that the crew did anything wrong. If the OPs father agreed to move what are the crew to do? Force him to stay put?

It is a shameful and sad event but not on the part of the BA crew. Instead it is the so-called "celeb" who is to blame here. It was despicable and rude IMO and, whilst I respect the OP for being cautious for legal reasons, he should be named and shamed in the biggest possible way. If there is no legal reasons not to then the papers and, perhaps, TV might be interested.

I can understand an 81 year old and inexperienced flyer giving way to such pressure from the celeb. I wish I were there... but then again, I might have been thrown off!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Trial by FlyerTalk perhaps not conducive to justice...
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
Trial by FlyerTalk perhaps not conducive to justice...
Sure, and some of the reaction has been unsympathetic, but it's a serious matter if BA crew acted as described, and given that the OP has put it out there for comment, the caution of FT members as opposed perhaps to some DM readers isn't necessarily bad. We all agree it sounds awful, but what's the mileage in stating the obvious a hundred times? It is a discussion forum, after all. Asking who, when and where is surely a fairly obvious next question for a relatively intelligent bunch of readers. If those questions can't be answered, for valid reasons or not, then discussion will tend to fizzle out.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Bullswood; Mar 18, 2019 at 5:58 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
People are missing an important point.
Only cabin crew should instigate a seat move. A fellow passenger should never instigate a seat move directly.
Any other way and there is anarchy on board. Can you imagine the chaos if several people in Economy class started to do this before take off?

The BA cabin crew were weak in this regard.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:01 am

I’m unclear as to why the OP needs “legal opinion” before naming the individual. I suugest he goes to the Celebs on BA thread, and writes “xxx on BA xxx, was in seat xx, moved to seat xx.” There’s already several hundred of these and I doubt anyone has been sued. (Or been knee-capped)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
There are multiple factors in play here, and I can fully understand why @Killian_S would be discouraged by posting on here given the speculation that occurs.
First of all, the indecent person who tried to bully someone out of a seat deserves to be publicly shamed! That is no way to behave, and while many would have told him to sod off, I can understand that the OP's father as an elderly gentleman, would not want to cause a scene beyond having already questioned why he should have to move.

While the crew did not do anything directly wrong, I feel the crew indirectly contributed to the situation by letting this bully continue his guilt trip on the OP's father. They could perhaps have told the so-called wannabe-celeb to step away while they would speak to the OP's father. The purpose would be to remove any pressure and to assure him that he has no obligation to move. That clearly did not happen, so I can see why the OP is questioning BA here. Regardless, nobody should be forced (or pressured!) to move out of their assigned seat, be that F, J or Y.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:16 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by muscat
I’m unclear as to why the OP needs “legal opinion” before naming the individual. I suugest he goes to the Celebs on BA thread, and writes “xxx on BA xxx, was in seat xx, moved to seat xx.” There’s already several hundred of these and I doubt anyone has been sued. (Or been knee-capped)
I suppose a legitimate concern might be that if the individual concerned is prepared to bully someone as they did on the aircraft, they would quite possibly adopt a similar approach to anybody attempting to involve them in negative publicity.
wrp96, strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004
People are missing an important point.
Only cabin crew should instigate a seat move. A fellow passenger should never instigate a seat move directly.
Any other way and there is anarchy on board. Can you imagine the chaos if several people in Economy class started to do this before take off?

The BA cabin crew were weak in this regard.
Totally agree. I would go further and suggest the cabin crew should have checked that the elderly gentleman was happy to move and pointed out that 1A is generally regarded as a better seat.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As none of us were they we don’t know what was said, and as for customers not instigating seat moves, what world do you live in?
I cannot believe any crew member wouldn’t act if they observed any type of bullying of a customer, none of us know what the picture looked and sounded like.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
It is the "bad manners" threads that stir the bile on this forum and I confess that my bile was well and truly stirred by this DYKWIA. Like many of the readers here I too have been dreaming up "what I would have said had it happened to me". Maybe we should start a wiki where we can list witty responses to oiks like this. It could be categorised according to the type of bad behaviour:

Queue jumping at check in
Queue jumping at boarding
Bare feet
Child out of control
ET class baggage dumpers
Loud phone caller
Self up-graders
Somebody sitting in your seat

And of course my own bete noir.... People who treat the staff like skivvies

I am thinking of spending a fortune booking 1A in F to see if I can catch up with this nasty piece of work. Hang on a mo, is this some dastardly ploy by BA to fill the F cabin?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Can I help you
As none of us were they we don’t know what was said, and as for customers not instigating seat moves, what world do you live in?
I cannot believe any crew member wouldn’t act if they observed any type of bullying of a customer, none of us know what the picture looked and sounded like.
Also worth noting that not every F passenger sees a seat in row 1 as being any better than a seat in row 5 anyway....I certainly don't. Was the old bloke really all that bothered about moving? I'm not so sure he was.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If pax in originally seated in 1A were from outside UK, he probably would have never heard of this "famous" DYKWIA person. It's nice to make suggestions after the fact, but many/most "give in" when pressured by a FA--especially an 81 year old.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I assumed it might be Peter Mandelson, having read a very similar story on FT a while back.

I don't yet have enough posts under my belt to post a link but this might help someone identify it - 26992311-post34
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If my father, who is of the same generation as the OP's, were faced with this and travelling alone I'm not sure what he would have done - but I can see it might have gone the same way as the OP described. I don't therefore see anything unbelievable about this.

I, tending more towards the obstreperous end of the spectrum and not being phased by too much, would politely have stood my ground and told anyone trying to take my seat - A, B, Z list celebrity or just Joe Public - just why I wasn't prepared to give up row 1.

If I was travelling on TG and a member of the Thai Royal Family had requisitioned the seat, my attitude might be a little more subservient though!
LTN Phobia, omk298 and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.