Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Lefly
OP posted yesterday evening, less than 12h ago. Not everyone check the forum multiple times a day.
Given that advice is being sought, I would find it hard to understand why anybody would not do so.

This is is a most extraordinary story. It has all the components going to get the whole Forum into righteous indignation. A seemingly harmless individual in his correct seat is hit on by DYKWIA in its quintessential form, although we are not told by whom. The crew is supine, and the CSD/M is indifferent. This, of course, happened in that battleground of Elitism, First Class.

You may all take the story at face value, but what I would need would be to know which flight and who this self-important arrogant individual might be. If it is who I think it is, then As I have flown with them several times then this person has never behaved like that to the best of my knowledge and belief. Under circumstances such as these, any approach is usually via the crew. Once we establish some facts, rather than hearsay, then I will reserve opinion.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:15 am

It's one of those times to be appear confused while standing firm.

"What do you mean I can't have this seat? It's the seat I'm booked on and is on my booking pass. Why am I being kicked out of my seat? I don't understand why my seat is not longer available although I'm sitting in it. Why am I being refused my seat? Are you telling me I can't fly in my seat? I have luggage on this plane. You told me I can't sit here in my seat, what happens to my luggage? You keep talking about another seat but this is my seat. See my boarding pass."

Repeat, rinse, repeat. "I just don't understand... waaaaah." Be the bigger, but politer, nuisance. And film everything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:26 am

Just waiting now for a beaming, jubilant review of First, with just enough quirk to garner a few pages of responses at regular intervals to bump this post...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:26 am

There are similarities to when it was previously reported on FT that a political celebrity asked someone to move from his favourite seat 1A on a different airline.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Given that advice is being sought, I would find it hard to understand why anybody would not do so.
Maybe because it's not really time sensitive as other questions posted here, plus there can be multiple things to take care of (work, children, relatives, internet outages, etc) before being able to check the forum...?
I tend to think there are valid human reasons for delays in replies before troll's ones

That said I don't see the reason to not name the "public" person involved.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
People, give the OP a break for a bit! Not posting for 12 hours should be seen as normal, not abnormal!

The OP might have a social life (followed by sleep, maybe, or may still be partying...) or god forbid, flying! Remember not all BA aircraft is wifi-equipped.

Life does not revolve around posting on FlyerTalk for most people.

Besides, regarding the call for disclosure of the celeb's name, which the OP may be genuinely be worried about should the DYKWIA be sue-happy and may not feel too comfortable about disclosing for whatever reason and we need to respect that. We don't want to end up in a weird situation of posters feeling interrogated. That's not a forum environment we want, is it?
spartacus, SK, wrp96 and 20 others like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 18, 2019 at 4:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
It sounds completely credible.
Including word for word quoted conversation?
And the extra detail about the 'celeb' not being met at the exit etc.

That just seems... a lot of detail for someone who wasnt there.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 18, 2019 at 1:58 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A rude captain - any experiences?

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Unnecessary daggers thrown...

Pret sandwiches (or other food) on board the plane

Why did my colleague (Blue) get upgraded and not me (Gold)?
Sealink, m3red and msm2000uk like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
This thread shows one more time how the BA board at FT can be an unwelcoming and despicable environment: accusation of trolling, of lying, digging and posting links to old threads, simply because there are no answers in 12 hours. OP might have a life *gasp*.
NoY, Blueboys999, sarahuk and 15 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
This thread shows one more time how the BA board at FT can be an unwelcoming and despicable environment: accusation of trolling, of lying, digging and posting links to old threads, simply because there are no answers in 12 hours. OP might have a life *gasp*.
You seem to be including me in your holier-than-thou admonishment. I completely respect the OP's limits on this, and posted a link to a previous story with uncanny similarities. The OP has every right to withhold the name, and we have every right to speculate. We are humans, we find mysteries irresistible. Go easy on the OP, yes, but go easy on ourselves too.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I can see the FT private investigators and community police have started their incredibly useful work for which we’re all grateful.

When does the trial start? Oh wait, we don’t need a trial, just a sentence!
NoY, sarahuk, rickg523 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ringingup; Mar 18, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
First name begins with A?
I'll take a guess.

@sshole?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
UPDATE.

I have contacted BA to complain, haven't received a response yet. I have also requested legal opinion (in the absence of which I shall not name the individual).

Wow. I log back in after returning from work and see many responses to my original post. And of course, as I haven't responded immediately, people think I'm either making stuff up, or hiding under a bridge somewhere. Strange.

Let's not get angry here and throw accusations at each other, this is a forum to share experiences!

In response to the fabrication point, which I find completely unprofessional and insulting, I only come on this site to detail my negative or controversial experiences with BA, in order to get people's views and stimulate discussion. There may be similarities, but seriously, who cares? I once experienced a rude pilot who was aggressive to another passenger. You may not have experienced that in 1,000 flights, but I did! Does that mean I'm BS'ing? Honestly, come on.

Although I have a Gold card, I am by no means an experienced flyer and like to get the opinions of others to things I have experienced. To say that everything I post is BS or a lie, doesn't really give a good impression. For every negative flight, I have had many, many great BA flights but I simply don't write about them.

Lesson learnt, not worth it posting things here. All I asked is whether a complaint, given the unusiual nature of the event, would be heard by BA. That's it. I don't know how this thread has moved from that to where it is now.

Anyhow, to address some of the points above, the cabin crew DID NOT turf dad out of his seat, they merely gently guided him to the other seat. Dad did make the point (as I mentioned above) that they were courteous throughout the whole flight. The CSM was indifferent, but maybe they were rushed off their feet - entirely plausible and reasonable with a full jumbo. But, I wasn't there, I don't know. My only issue was maybe they should have been a bit firmer with the other person, but again, I wasn't there and don't know what the dynamics were.

And no, this is not the first time in the history of the world that this has happened. There have been cases I have read about in the papers of people coming and taking specific seats because of their "right" or something. Forced turfing out is very common on the Indian / Far Eastern carriers with politicians and celebrities!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Killian_S

Lesson learnt, not worth it posting things here. All I asked is whether a complaint, given the unusiual nature of the event, would be heard by BA. That's it. I don't know how this thread has moved from that to where it is now.

Anyhow, to address some of the points above, the cabin crew DID NOT turf dad out of his seat, they merely gently guided him to the other seat. Dad did make the point (as I mentioned above) that they were courteous throughout the whole flight. The CSM was indifferent, but maybe they were rushed off their feet - entirely plausible and reasonable with a full jumbo. But, I wasn't there, I don't know. My only issue was maybe they should have been a bit firmer with the other person, but again, I wasn't there and don't know what the dynamics were.
I would only complain if the member of cabin crew actually forced your father to switch seats. If your father gave up his seat voluntarily I'd just name and shame the person who thought it was OK to bully your father into giving up his seat.

You're saying that the CSM was indifferent. As far as I understand your father approached them after he took the new seat? What was the nature of the complaint? I am just not sure what you wanted for them to do if you're saying that the cabin crew did not do anything wrong.
Wiz805 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
My view, the behaviour of the other pax would on the face of it appear at fault here. No evidence that CC or CSM did anything wrong here. I wouldn’t complain to BA, whilst you may well get a handful of Avios out of such a complaint, the fault doesn’t appear to be BA and I would only ever (and even then rarely) complain when a company has IMHO had been at fault. If another pax was rude, discourteous or otherwise annoyed me, I would raise this with the pax at the time or through the CC but having apparently voluntarily moved (whether subsequently admitting to the CC this was under duress or not), I would accept my own failings and not let it ruin my flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.