Wiki Posts
Search

Lost my upper deck seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Lost my upper deck seat

So here I am 24 hours out from my initial flight, but still a bit more ahead of that for the BA one (March 18th 294 ORD-LHR). I've had 60J reserved the whole time since I booked.

I wake up this morning and I'm in 13D (which if memory serves is what the TA originally gave me). All the UD seats except 64A are taken, save that 60J and 60B are showing "Restricted"

I called the BA number (the US one) and was told the following:
  • Can't have 64A because don't have an infant (my reading is it is showing open precisely because there isn't someone with an infant)
  • My original seat not available because it is under airport restriction
The agent says they put a note in my booking that 60J was my original seat and I can have it back when I arrive at the airport.

First - do I have a chance here, or am I on the Lower Deck at this point?
Second - Any idea why I lost my seat? I wondered whether something was wrong with it but the other seats in my reservation all reverted to what I was originally allocated by the TA when I booked.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA may have moved you for any number of reasons or none at all, e.g., it was an error. Now that the aircraft is under airport control, there is nothing to be done other than to ask at check-in, the lounge, and gate.

Unfortunately, adding remarks to the PNR notes do nothing in particular as the agents at the airport are dealing with the present, e.g., whether the seat is available now, not what you had originally.

I would simply go as early as you feel comfortable going and pester people until it is either assigned to you or you learn that it has been assigned to someone else.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So hard to tell, could be a seat malfunction issue, need for crew rest, something else.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 17, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The term I would use is that 60B and 60J are blocked rather than restricted. And while dealing with terminology, did the agent say "Airport Control" rather than "airport restricted"?

Looking at BA295 leaving London for o'Hare tomorrow, it too has 60J blocked, which makes me think there is a broken seat here. However if that was the case, I would expect it to be fixed between now and departure. 60B can be a crew rest seat though I don't think it's needed for a short sector like ORD. I would try again for 64A, that is a good seat but normally a Sapphire should be able to get it at this point - I assume your Sapphire number is in the booking.

If it is broken, but does get repaired, that would be a good reason for checking in, getting the best seat you can, but do not download the boarding pass or get the App boarding pass.
Gildas likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The term I would use is that 60B and 60J are blocked rather than restricted. And while dealing with terminology, did the agent say "Airport Control" rather than "airport restricted"?
Now that I think of it, I bet that's where I got "restricted" from. I think the agent said it was airport restricted. Her stance was there wasn't anything she could do, but to ask at the airport. I was surprised about the 64A thing as I had read the thread here about how that opens up before the flight if there is no infant needing it. My sapphire number is in the system for sure as I was able to select the seats originally without being charged.

I do realize this situation is something of a first world problem!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gildas
Now that I think of it, I bet that's where I got "restricted" from. I think the agent said it was airport restricted. Her stance was there wasn't anything she could do, but to ask at the airport. I was surprised about the 64A thing as I had read the thread here about how that opens up before the flight if there is no infant needing it. My sapphire number is in the system for sure as I was able to select the seats originally without being charged.
It is possible that 64A will become liberated at some point and there is no harm calling up again at T-26 hrs. I have a feeling it is oversold in WTP so they will need the seats They may also have too many in WT after non revenue standbys are done, and ORD usually has a lot of those. First isn't full though, and at least 2 people will be upgraded from CW to First.
F8 A7 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W5 E0 T0 Y9 B6 H6 K5 M3 L3 V2 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

There should be a good chance of 60J getting fixed, I think it's rare for the engineers not to resolve a seating issue. So keep checking, and also if you have ExpertFlyer keep an eye on BA295 too.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I suggest calling up again to ask for the bassinet seat. That should be available to you but I’m finding more and more recently as a gold that they are not available to me at the time they should when using online seating. Hopefully the agent you spoke to was confused and calling up and speaking to someone else will get you that one...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I have always had to call to reserve a bassinet seat, even when showing online as available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.