Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry tomatoes onboard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Everyone should be given a bib! And for those in first class... a designer one to match their PJs
No need to design ... use the Utopia tail-fin designs on the napkins.

A nice touch of retro, and the gravy/tomato/wine stains are unlikely to show.

No fee for that proposal, BA ... feel free to use it.
VSLover and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Everyone should be given a bib! And for those in first class... a designer one to match their PJs
I would settle for a napkin with a buttonhole. Didn't realise that napkins with buttonholes were a thing until recently, but such a splendid idea if you happen to be availed of a button on which to hang the napkin...
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Doesn't this topic belong in the "First World Problems" thread?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I don't think there is something worse than the cooked cherry tomato.
I don't even like them that much. Fresh it's ok, but cooked and ready to explode... I admit to have left them in the plate more than once to avoid the trouble.

Oh, about the button-ready napkins: they're no use when you don't have any buttons
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
I find I have a near 100% record for inducing turbulence by ordering red wine. I'm considering taking a travel mug with a lid next time.

​​​​​And whoever thought cous cous was a good idea on a plane has clearly never tried to eat it!
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Cooked tomatoes on an English breakfast I have never liked, perhaps there is a repressed memory from childhood tomato mishaps behind it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingGarden
Cooked tomatoes on an English breakfast I have never liked, perhaps there is a repressed memory from childhood tomato mishaps behind it.
A subtle difference between halved full size tomatoes, grilled, and oven-roasted red pellets best suited (raw) for salads. But the little ones look ‘cute’, especially ‘on the vine’.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I learnt long ago that, whether cooked or not, a cherry tomato should be consumed whole and not cut or pierced in any way. Whilst this may make you look like a hamster temporarily, it prevents massive staining.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
I learnt long ago that, whether cooked or not, a cherry tomato should be consumed whole and not cut or pierced in any way. Whilst this may make you look like a hamster temporarily, it prevents massive staining.
I was brought up to NOT stuff my mouth with food, but, hey, “mmm-crunch-mmmm-swallow”
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Lefly
I don't think there is something worse than the cooked cherry tomato.
I don't even like them that much. Fresh it's ok, but cooked and ready to explode... I admit to have left them in the plate more than once to avoid the trouble.

Oh, about the button-ready napkins: they're no use when you don't have any buttons
You just need one of these in your travel kit.

T8191, Lefly, plunet and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I like cherry tomatoes, but they always remind me of a piece I read in a 90s lads mag when I was younger. Can't remember the exact wording, but the idea was that the in-mouth explosion from a bursting cherry tomato was as close to the sensation of something far more unpleasant "exploding" in your mouth. They've never been quite the same since I read that.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Safety first...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bigwalrus
I like cherry tomatoes, but they always remind me of a piece I read in a 90s lads mag when I was younger. Can't remember the exact wording, but the idea was that the in-mouth explosion from a bursting cherry tomato was as close to the sensation of something far more unpleasant "exploding" in your mouth. They've never been quite the same since I read that.
Gross. That actually made me lol.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bigwalrus
@bigwalrus - reticence precludes me from agreeing with you - but I suspect that my reaction to what ought to have been downright disgusting is that I nearly snapped the handle off my coffee cup as I shrieked with laughter. Many years ago back in A&E before ever I flew for BCAL, someone was brought in who claimed that she had been attacked (fell over drunk more like) as she had a voice that sounded like she had eaten hot tomatoes. That is NOT what she said, but this is a family show so I will spare peoples' blushes.

I am delighted at this thread as I had long treated these as scatter bombs designed to reach any exposed bit of clothing. I would tell you that Him Indoors managed to get hot tomato on himsef as he sat having breakfast on the veranda in his Birthday Suit. Again, I can say no more than that I had to apply Brulodine. This doesn't really have anything to do with BA, as who sits on an aircraft thus attired?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Safety first...
Those bloody little 'sticks' of milk wind me up (right hand side of your tray).

Seemingly impossible not to spray a little bit either on you, or the back of the seat in front of you when you open them at altitude.

In the halcyon pre-BOB days it was rare to find an SH seat without little white specs of UHT milk all over the back of it.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.