Wiki Posts
Search

API getting rejected with a valid visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

API getting rejected with a valid visa

Hi all,

Lurker turning active for a little bit of help.
I'm supposed to fly tomorrow, TLV-LHR-JFK, on BA162 on J and F on BA113, I've entered my API a while back after buying the ticket ,yet on OLCI I've gotten a message telling me I can't check-in to the US flight due to visa problems.
I've triple checked the data I've entered and it's correct.
The problem is the US embassy in Israel is closed on Sundays and there's no emergency number for visa or passport issues, which leaves me hanging.
The embassy opens tomorrow on 8:00 yet the 162 flight is at 7:00, I'm considering flying to London and trying to handle it during my layover, hoping for the best.
If anyone has any idea what I can do it'll be much appreciated

Assaf
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Give BA a call. The error messages on ba.com are not always clear and an agent on the phone may be able to fix this for you.
Alternatively, head to the airport a little earlier than usual and take things up with the check in desks.

Good luck - and welcome to FT!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unless you know there is a problem with the visa, I would normally assume it's an issue with the BA computers, the DHS computers or somewhere in between - and I wouldn't get too worried about it. It is highly unusual for someone with an in date visa and passport to find out for the very first time and via OLCI that their USA entry has been revoked, so if it's not that it's going to be IT glitches.

But first by all means try again after leaving it a few hours, just in case it is something like weekend IT maintenance, and then call BA to see if the agent can help further. Then if all else fails just turn up at the airport about 30 minutes earlier than you normally would (and assuming the BA desks are open: see MMB / fligtht/ Check-in/other ways to check-in).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

I've made a call to BA and after about 30 minutes was told that as long as I have a valid printed visa I'll be allowed to fly.
AFAIK, there are no problems with my visa, as I've visited the US with the same visa multiple times.

Hopefully, by this time tomorrow I'll be in the CCR relaxing.

Assaf
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Exact same thing happened to my partner back in December when we went to OLCI. There's a thread about it somewhere. The phone agent I spoke to wasn't completely useless but also less than helpful since it wasn't entirely clear from their end what the problem might be. The root issue is that BA have decided to produce a rather frightening message on the website when this happens, inducing worry.
assafcw likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to be clear, there are 4 potential issues here
- can't complete OLCI at all due to visa problems - error comes up saying visa / ESTA isn't correct
- can complete OLCI and get checked in status, but can't get a boarding pass - usually that is SSSS
- can OLCI and can get boarding pass, but stiff message comes up - that's normal
- can't OLCI for other reasons (e.g. IT or ticketing), see main Dashboard thread.
assafcw and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleting and re-entering seemingly valid but rejected API info has cleared errors for me in the past. YMMV.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Have you got visa in an old passport? I've had a similar issue a couple of months ago. New passport + old passport with a visa. On-line check-in told me that I didn't have valid documents and I wouldn't be allowed to fly. I've tried old passport number (still valid but less than 3 months left) and the new passport - neither worked. At the airport it got resolved by the agent in no time, apparently at the airport they can enter two passport numbers - one which is valid for travel and another one with visa number.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman
Have you got visa in an old passport? I've had a similar issue a couple of months ago. New passport + old passport with a visa. On-line check-in told me that I didn't have valid documents and I wouldn't be allowed to fly. I've tried old passport number (still valid but less than 3 months left) and the new passport - neither worked. At the airport it got resolved by the agent in no time, apparently at the airport they can enter two passport numbers - one which is valid for travel and another one with visa number.
This is indeed the case, Still holding my breath until I actually get in the states
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to update everything went without a hitch, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks again everyone

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
My (and my family's US visas) are consistently rejected by BA's systems, never had a problem that couldn't be fixed at the airport though,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.