Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why so hard to redeem an award flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Why so hard to redeem an award flight?

Is there some kind of trick to redeem award flights? Is it because I am doing it too late? (Traveling end of the March week)
I am looking at Hawaii, YVR or Tokyo, but just seems like everything is out. I put the travel date all the way to May and June, and it's always the outbound flight that's not available...
Am I doing something wrong? thanks!

Sorry, from LAX, with 2 adults/2kids
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oxyi
Is there some kind of trick to redeem award flights? Is it because I am doing it too late? (Traveling end of the March week)
I am looking at Hawaii, Van or Tokyo, but just seems like everything is out. I put the travel date all the way to May and June, and it's always the outbound flight that's not available...
From where to Hawaii, Van or Tokyo? [Van=?? ]
Class of travel?
1 person? [or 4?]
In ~2 weeks time? (end of the March week)

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, from LAX. It's to YVR.

Or to pretty much any place that I can reach with 120k miles with family of 4. Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
LAX-YVR or Japan or Hawaii means rewards on AA = miles saver rewards.

so I wouldn't hold much hope.

Sorry
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am looking at Hawaii, YVR or Tokyo, but just seems like everything is out. I put the travel date all the way to May and June, and it's always the outbound flight that's not available...

Sorry, from LAX, with 2 adults/2kids
1. Focus on routes that have nonstop flights
2. Getting 4 seats on the same flight can be challenging
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Trying to book international flights fr the end of March now for 4 persons would not be easy.

You could try searching for one seat (which would be easier to find than 4) get that on Avios, and then see if you could find the 2nd one etc., and then book the rest with cash?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
LAX-YVR or Japan or Hawaii means rewards on AA = miles saver rewards.

so I wouldn't hold much hope.

Sorry

Because it is really hard to get seats on AA? sorry im newbie
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Trying to book international flights fr the end of March now for 4 persons would not be easy.

You could try searching for one seat (which would be easier to find than 4) get that on Avios, and then see if you could find the 2nd one etc., and then book the rest with cash?

Doesn't have to be international. Hawaii is fine too, but I guess it is really hard to get LAX>HNL eh
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Doesn't have to be international. Hawaii is fine too, but I guess it is really hard to get LAX>HNL eh
If you want 4 award seats to a specific destination (or one of a few specific locations), you need to plan early and be very flexible with your dates.
End of March is a bit tight, given it's mid-March now.

By the way, I assume you are trying to use BA Avios rather than some other miles/points from another scheme?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:17 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
There are plenty of AA award seats between LAX-YVR. The problem is that BA.com has trouble seeing AA seats. If you can see the seats on AA.com, just keep trying BA.com again and again and again. It may take 3, 4, 5 or 10 refreshes, but you'll eventually you'll see the seats. Here are results for 4 seats...

After 4 refreshes...

Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
There are plenty of AA award seats between LAX-YVR. The problem is that BA.com has trouble seeing AA seats. If you can see the seats on AA.com, just keep trying BA.com again and again and again. It may take 3, 4, 5 or 10 refreshes, but you'll eventually you'll see the seats. Here are results for 4 seats...

After 4 refreshes...

Ahh I see, that's what I did as well. I can see the saver reward on AA.com, but for some reason, BA just not seeing it. I will try your refresh method. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Or, if you can see SAAver availability on AA.com, call BA to book.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Ahh I see, that's what I did as well. I can see the saver reward on AA.com, but for some reason, BA just not seeing it. I will try your refresh method. Thanks!
or you could just call?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
or you could just call?
I often end up calling them to book my SHA-HKG tickets because their search engine seems to dislike SHA (which, is much more convenient than PVG for me). They always waive the fee.

But, one big advantage to booking online is that the "pay with miles and cash" option often makes business class pencil (e.g. the cash component is typically around 1.3 cents per mile). I have never had a phone agent offer me miles plus cash, though I haven't actually asked either (i.e. I always manage to score economy redemptions on my flights to/from HKG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.