Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Are BA cabins so warm?? I know it’s not news, and I’ve read many of the previous threads. Taxiing right now on BA 216 and it’s a sauna. I get that on stand it’s APU power and I asked politely if they can keep it down tonight. They explained that they can’t control temperature for about 20 mins after take off! Never heard that on other airlines who don’t broil you through the night. It’s enough to make you fly American!
NoY, Stez and abligh like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:10 pm

If it’s a 747 then that doesn’t sound too far off. The temperature on the ground is always a challenge to control, and it takes a little while after departure to get it to come down. Though even saying that the 74 is a nightmare to keep at the right temp at the best of times, even whilst airborne.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are plenty of people who do not want to sit in a refrigerator for 8 hours
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's easier to cover up inoffensively than disrobing inoffensively though.
Markie, SEA-Flyer, Dambus and 63 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I always find BA cabins unbearably cold! I had to ask for another blanket in my last flight. East Asian carriers tend to be a lot warmer.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:44 pm

I find the lounges much too warm also.
seanp7 and dylanks like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think temperature preferences vary a lot and what’s freezing for one is just right for another whilst what is a sauna for one is just comfortable for someone else.

i’ve caught colds on many a ba flight including the cold I’m having right now. And no, it’s not easy to keep warm with those small and thin blankets even wearing a warm pyjama and a jumper...

in short, I don’t recognise ba planes as being abnormally warm (jl planes are the ones too warm for me but I suspect many Japanese passengers consider them just right. Conversely, I freeze on your typical aa flight but many Americans love it...)
Lefly and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think temperature preferences vary a lot and what’s freezing for one is just right for another whilst what is a sauna for one is just comfortable for someone else.

i’ve caught colds on many a ba flight including the cold I’m having right now. And no, it’s not easy to keep warm with those small and thin blankets even wearing a warm pyjama and a jumper...

in short, I don’t recognise ba planes as being abnormally warm (jl planes are the ones too warm for me but I suspect many Japanese passengers consider them just right. Conversely, I freeze on your typical aa flight but many Americans love it...)
Side note. You can't catch a cold virus from being cold. Nor does cold temperature make you any more likely to become infected. The only way to catch a cold virus is to catch it from another person who has it. The temperature is completely irrelevant from a scientific perspective.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You can’t win this one. One person is cold - another is too hot. If it’s hot, take something off. If you’re cold ask for a blanket It’s not rocket science 🙄🙄

There’s hot and there’s stuffy. It’s not the same thing.
HIDDY and argonath like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:34 am

It’s so difficult for the crew to get right. I’ve had many flights where I’m up and down adjusting the temperature as different points of view keeping flooding in. As mentioned above, the B747 is hardly worth adjusting, it just does its own thing!
HIDDY and cgtechuk like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:43 am

I would like to see a standard temperature so it is the same across all flights and not adjusted up and down on request.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If you’re cold ask for a blanket It’s not rocket science ����
I do, but there are frequently not enough spares. That was notably the case in my last flight which was completely full and very badly delayed.

And yes, of course, I do realise that you only get a rhinovirus by being exposed to it, but the recycled dry air of an old aircraft cabin makes you exposed and when you are already tired (not something quite inconceivable when you have travelled 16 hours to go somewhere, have spent 48 hours of full work there and are ready for a long haul back which has already been delayed more than 3h30 well into the night), a really cold cabin won't help your body immune system fight back especially when you sleep at night and your body temperature is naturally lower.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 16, 2019 at 2:52 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I would like to see a standard temperature so it is the same across all flights and not adjusted up and down on request.
But that’s the point. It’s impossible when the temperature controls vary so much from aircraft to aircraft
flygirl68 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:04 am

While not an expert I doubt whether breathing cool air or any small changes in body temperature hamper the role of the immune system. However, I suppose that the close contact any passenger has with their fellow travellers enables easier infection.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I guess aristoph is more used to other aircraft type, this was a 747, and it will be interesting to know whether the following then happened: it's often the case that the temperature on 747s is whacked up on the ground, when the APU is more or less effective. When disengaging from the gate at IAD, the APU power for heating drops off, and the outside temperature in DC would be close to freezing point, maybe a degree or two above. So if you're not careful - and there is a delay / queues in departing IAD - the cabin temperature will drop. If the delay in departure is extended then you'll have the situation of a cabin getting colder and colder, and very little anyone can do about it. Hence whacking up the temperature at departure time. This condition persists on the 747 for quite a few minutes after tale off, and as indicated 20 minutes after take off the full, if clunky, control, of temperature comes back to the crew. So normally you can only start to complain about sauna conditions around 40 minutes after take off, it takes a good 10 minutes after pressing the dials that the impact works through.

I hope the OP comes back with the outcome, but this a common issue with older wide-body aircraft, and in the case of the 747, being a big lady, there really isn't a better solution on the ground. The newer aircraft - any size - are much better in this area.

BA216 left the gate on time yesterday, at 19:27 local, and got to take off at 19:50, so 23 minutes, which is pretty good for IAD. The OP posted at 19:45 local.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.