Wiki Posts
Search

Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
I do not have a problem with hot BA or CX cabins
A good thing about QR is that they have individual vents.

lol maybe the crew on your flights get the message!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
It is indeed possible to warm up by donning sweaters, coats, woolly hats etc. However this solution only holds good in the winter, since I am not in the habit of wearing these things in the summertime (well perhaps in the UK, but not the med). This means that I often freeze to death at airports and on planes since a summer dress plus ferocious aircon do not make happy travelling companions. I always carry some kind of wrap when travelling for this reason, but there is a limit to the clobber that I am prepared to drag around with me on my travels 'just incase' and as a result I am often too cold inside when travelling during summertime, even when it is 30C outside.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
If I know I will transit in airports with freezing air conditioning (basically all US, DOH, BKK...) I pack a sweater in my hand baggage, together with a pashmina. I had to use both last august in an AA lounge at PHX and on a plane to/from Vegas.
LHR-OTP was pretty cold too...
I know a sweater takes up a lot of space in hand luggage, but it's nothing compared to the discomfort of freezing out.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:36 am

I've not bothered reading through all the posts (I can imagine what 90% of them are saying), but can I just make a few things clear from a crew perspective. By FAR the most common complaint about temperature on board from customers is that it's too hot. I'd say 8/10 times. i can't even remember the last time someone asked for the temp to be lowered, however two people complained it was too cold on my last trip. Also, this tired old trope about crew thinking hot cabins make people sleep. For god's sake we have eyes and can process pretty basic empirical evidence!! if we were deliberately doing this we'd notice that it didn't work! How people keep repeating this is beyond me. And finally, even on the most modern aircraft the temperature controls do do some really weird things. Many's a time I've gone to sleep in the bunks of the 380 feeling distinctly chilly (so taken an extra blanket) only to wake up at the end or my rest bathed in sweat and feeling incredibly stuffy. Every time I've checked the bunk unit thermo it hasn't been adjusted by a colleague. If you're too hot PLEASE speak to one of us. And finally..Aristoph, u ok hun?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Skimo
I've not bothered reading through all the posts (I can imagine what 90% of them are saying), but can I just make a few things clear from a crew perspective. By FAR the most common complaint about temperature on board from customers is that it's too hot. I'd say 8/10 times. i can't even remember the last time someone asked for the temp to be lowered, however two people complained it was too cold on my last trip. Also, this tired old trope about crew thinking hot cabins make people sleep. For god's sake we have eyes and can process pretty basic empirical evidence!! if we were deliberately doing this we'd notice that it didn't work! How people keep repeating this is beyond me. And finally, even on the most modern aircraft the temperature controls do do some really weird things. Many's a time I've gone to sleep in the bunks of the 380 feeling distinctly chilly (so taken an extra blanket) only to wake up at the end or my rest bathed in sweat and feeling incredibly stuffy. Every time I've checked the bunk unit thermo it hasn't been adjusted by a colleague. If you're too hot PLEASE speak to one of us. And finally..Aristoph, u ok hun?
This isn't making sense to me...
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Skimo
My perspective from the pointy end of the 787 is that the normal temperatures are around 21 for the flight. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere cabin crew have the ability to adjust the temperature by +/- 3 degrees over the master temperature set in the flight deck. The galleys can be very cold but each galley is equipped with heating which in my experience (all be it limited compared to cabin crew) is effective...however I’ve come across many who have never been shown how it works let alone exists. Having said that I have seen crew increase temperatures to as high as 25 which I’ve queried with the Senior Cabin Crew Member and it’s been brought back down to a more ‘normal’ temperature.

The comments Skimo makes about temperatures fluctuating by their own accord is something that I was going to add myself. Every time I use the bunks I set the temperature to either 19 or 20 and go to sleep, no one else uses them at the same time so the temperature can not be altered. Sometimes I go to sleep nice and cool and wake up a sweaty mess, other times I sleep all the through and wake up perfectly comfortable. Whether this is my body going haywire at 6000ft or the aircraft having a moment I don’t know.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:08 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think temperature preferences vary a lot and what’s freezing for one is just right for another whilst what is a sauna for one is just comfortable for someone else.

i’ve caught colds on many a ba flight including the cold I’m having right now. And no, it’s not easy to keep warm with those small and thin blankets even wearing a warm pyjama and a jumper...

in short, I don’t recognise ba planes as being abnormally warm (jl planes are the ones too warm for me but I suspect many Japanese passengers consider them just right. Conversely, I freeze on your typical aa flight but many Americans love it...)
I'd speak to a doctor before stating you can catch a virus from a 20 degree temperature! Germs tend to like it more when it is warmer.
I wish that BA wouldn't specify the cabins without the individual vents. On BA LH I use the quilt as a mattress topper
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
BA seems to be particularly guilty of warm cabins.
Try JL. Often set to 25. Yes, really...
My main complaint about them (although overall I much prefer them to NH).

Not really looking forward to the hot box in 2 weeks' time but I need the Wifi and it's not assured on BA yet (obviously I know about the potential non-availability of wifi due to failures but the likelihood on JL is better than non-equipped ones).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.