Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SKRan
Oh really? So we should wear cotton or down in gyms because the tech fibre kit locks sweat inside then.
You can wear absolutely whatever you want as long as it fits the gym rules.

And I’d be surprised if you can’t feel the difference between some of the latest microfibre gear and the material used by ba blankets, duvets, and pillows. Or for that matter between wearing clothes which can be woven to let air through and filled pillows or duvets or quilted blankets which can’t. In CW, the grey light blanket is woven in such a way as to let air through.

In any case, maybe your body and mine are made differently but I can assure you that if I walk in warm weather wearing linen/cotton vs synthetic shirt, or sleep under a down duvet vs synthetic one, the difference is immediately visible and the result, in the latter case each time not pretty to see.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 17, 2019 at 9:38 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by SKRan
Oh really? So we should wear cotton or down in gyms because the tech fibre kit locks sweat inside then.
I don't do gym nor sports needing special clothing, but I had to throw out a synthetic duvet cover at home because for me & my husband it was too uncomfortable to use, in the way orbitmic describes.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aristoph
oh ok. I forgot it’s all about the crew’s comfort.
Do you think it should be all about yours? What about your fellow passengers who don't feel as hot as you do? Maybe they're in the wrong too?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do you think it should be all about yours? What about your fellow passengers who don't feel as hot as you do? Maybe they're in the wrong too?
well thats my point above when i complain it takes great pains to do so given others feel something different.

but in F or J and there are no nozzles, yes--will complain as this is part of the flight that i should be comfortable for.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's the problem.

If enough of your fellow passengers complain I suspect the crew would act. One complaining voice isn't going to cut much ice.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Case in point. On BA12 F from SIN and during the dinner service they've whacked the temperature up enormously. It's crazy, sauna temperatures.

aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I see that vociferous nature you talk about! To clarify, I have asked crew to turn the temperature down several times in the past. Sometimes they have done it, sometimes they have done it begrudgingly, and sometimes I have been ignored. Mostly it hasn't sat right with me - I'm annoyed at the resistance I meet.

Generally, I do think they often have temperature set too high, and I suspect it is because the crew get cold by the doors (don't forget outside it is -50), and perhaps there is a belief it helps us sleep (I don't agree with this). However, nowadays I am more aware that we share an aircraft with others. For instance, I nearly always drink when I fly, and alcohol makes me feel hot. Also, I like a cool bedroom at home - 17 degrees - but other people may feel the cold. On a recent flight the temperature in F was perfect, but then an elderly couple across the aisle said they were freezing cold so the crew turned the temperature up (and they were upgrades too!), but (upgrades aside) who is to say I should take priority over them?

In all my experience on this, and how much I've thought about the damn thing, I have come to the decision to spend £10 at Amazon for a quiet powerful USB rechargeable fan and now I can sleep easy and in comfort. Mind you, I've always been the self-reliant type.
can you recommend a model? The more I read this thread maybe this is actually a sensible solution tbh.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:53 pm

can you recommend a model? The more I read this thread maybe this is actually a sensible solution tbh.
This is the one I bought This is the one I bought
(and one for my husband too). I am very happy with this purchase!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
This is the one I bought (and one for my husband too). I am very happy with this purchase!
interesting, thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
On my last 747 flight, UD, I had to use the blanket before takeoff and during meal service, as it was too cold for me.
On the 777 to SIN in F, temperature for me was comfortable. On the 380 from HKG I felt the cabin too hot only momentarily halfway. Couple of hours later it was ok, if not a little on the cold side for me.
I have to say I am very sensible to cold, but at least regarding SIN & HKG my husband didn't feel the cabin as (too) hot.

It's really too much subjective. I wouldn't dare asking for temperature adjustment on board, as I am just one in... how many other people and preferences? I accept what it is, travelling with multiple layers to adjust to what I encounter.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
On my last 747 flight, UD, I had to use the blanket before takeoff and during meal service, as it was too cold for me.
but to be fair, the blanket is there to be used....
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Confirmed

but to be fair, the blanket is there to be used....
Originally Posted by orbitmic

You can wear absolutely whatever you want as long as it fits the gym rules.

And I’d be surprised if you can’t feel the difference between some of the latest microfibre gear and the material used by ba blankets, duvets, and pillows. Or for that matter between wearing clothes which can be woven to let air through and filled pillows or duvets or quilted blankets which can’t. In CW, the grey light blanket is woven in such a way as to let air through.

In any case, maybe your body and mine are made differently but I can assure you that if I walk in warm weather wearing linen/cotton vs synthetic shirt, or sleep under a down duvet vs synthetic one, the difference is immediately visible and the result, in the latter case each time not pretty to see.
I agree - each of us has his own perception of temperature. And we all wear different materials inside a cabin. What I wanted to express is that making the cabin cooler requires less psychological actions for all, as wrapping a blanket around provides some *psychological* warmth. Taking clothes off doesn’t provide much *psychological* coolness (and impractical).

You are absolutely OK to bring alternative blankets - I’d love a cashmere throw.
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:25 pm

BA seems to be particularly guilty of warm cabins.
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:38 pm

I have had my shares of flights that were boiling hot and rather uncomfortable. I tend to feel too embarrassed to say anything. However, on a side note - I can tell you this phenomenon is not limited to the aviation industry. As a nurse, the thermostat on the unit floor is constantly sent "running" in either direction. I will feel super hot in short sleeve scrubs, whilst another nurse in long undergarments under her scrubs and with a jacket on will proclaim "OMG, it's freezing in here" and cranks the dial to somewhere near 80 F. Not to mention walking into my patient rooms and some have it set on 62F and lay there in just their gown, whereas others have it cranked all the way to 85F in their room, are covered under 5 blankets and ring the call light to complain they are freezing. I walk into those rooms and feel like I need to have a "rescue backup" as I feel certain I will pass out if I stay more than 2 minutes with that patient.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:25 am

I do not have a problem with hot BA or CX cabins
A good thing about QR is that they have individual vents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.