Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by MFCC

Uh, without being blunt - yes it is. We do stick to a temperature set by the company but it’s not going to be right for everyone onboard, ever. And that person it’s not right for is sometimes going to be you; it’s just the way it goes.
You can set that temperature at 22 all you like but a 747 that’s been on the ground in CPT all day is having none of it and will be boiling hot whether you or I like it or not.
You are right. I understand the first part of the flight can be difficult. That obviously goes for both flights parked on the ground in hot weather and some times in cold also. I was referring to temperatures hours into the flight.
And re those policies, could you share what recommended temperatures BA has?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for reporting back, though it was disappointing to read that it stayed hot. The reason you are in CW is so as to sleep comfortably. I would nevertheless encourage you to mention something to the crew, it may be that someone else complained. You will definitely have zero impact if you say nothing. Equally they may well have had complaints from other people about being too cold. Though I have had some hot cabins in my time, it's not the norm in my experience.
But I did, before take off, I said very politely, I understand that we are on the APU right now which is probably why it’s hot, but if there’s any way you can make sure it stays cooler in flight that would be really appreciated. Pretty much my exact words. And she said absolutely , we don’t like it hot either. But to be honest I don’t believe her (in general, I mean). I think the crew do like it hot. I did think about asking again when I woke up, but that would have meant clambering over someone’s feet and heading to the galley in the dark. And the likelihood is it would have made little difference, so I decided to keep calm and carry on lol.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aristoph
And she said absolutely , we don’t like it hot either. But to be honest I don’t believe her (in general, I mean). I think the crew do like it hot.
I don't think that's necessarily right. One of the things that's sometimes pointed out here is that it's reasonable for crew to want to not be freezing cold while they're awake. And ironically, many of them spend a lot of time doing very little in the coldest parts of the cabin, ie near the doors. More than once I have woken up in the middle of the night feeling warm, and found the cabin crew sitting on jump seats next to the doors wearing jumpers and swathed in blankets - including men.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
About 90% of the time for me it’s too cold. I’m the one sleeping in 3 blankets with at least 2 scarves over my face. It’s also an issue I’ve found to be a lot worse on BA than other carriers, and most of my routes for the past year have been 777.

Its the second reason why I’d choose another carrier over BA (first and foremost choosing the most direct/fast/best timed route for me).
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think that's necessarily right. One of the things that's sometimes pointed out here is that it's reasonable for crew to want to not be freezing cold while they're awake. And ironically, many of them spend a lot of time doing very little in the coldest parts of the cabin, ie near the doors. More than once I have woken up in the middle of the night feeling warm, and found the cabin crew sitting on jump seats next to the doors wearing jumpers and swathed in blankets - including men.
Yes, I have found the same. Roasting F cabin, frozen crew on the jump seats just a few feet away.

My solution - bring my own small but powerful fan. Worked a treat last time.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:55 pm

Flew from CPT last night in F and I swear it was hotter on board at 38000 feet than on the tarmac in CPT
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
oh ok. I forgot it’s all about the crew’s comfort.
NoY, VSLover, HMPS and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes, I have found the same. Roasting F cabin, frozen crew on the jump seats just a few feet away.

My solution - bring my own small but powerful fan. Worked a treat last time.
how about the crew wear their uniforms which include jackets, ties and scarves, and set the cabin temperature appropriate to their customers who paid £7,000 in my case (ok, my employer, but still!) for a CW flight from London to Washington and want to sleep?
Pelu likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Carry a thermometer next time so you know what temperature it is and complain based on something measurable than one's own perception which could be more arguable/prone to being ignored?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Carry a thermometer next time so you know what temperature it is and complain based on something measurable than one's own perception which could be more arguable/prone to being ignored?
I’m not sure that will make any difference. I think the crews who set the temperature high, know that it is high. When I flew back F from JNB a month ago there was hot air blowing in the lobby by the forward toilets. Someone had clearly chosen that setting - it had changed during the flight. On that occasion I asked for it to be turned down because the heat was spreading into the cabin (I feel like I have more input in F than J) and it was adjusted. I really don’t think telling the crew that my thermometer says it is 24C will change anything, do you?
Pelu likes this.

Last edited by aristoph; Mar 16, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:12 pm

don’t think telling the crew that my thermometer says it is 24C will change anything, do you?
I wouldn't just tell the crew members of the temperature, I'd show the thermometer to them but do so in a nice, polite way rather than doing so aggressively.

It puts the matter beyond reasonable doubt that it's warm (most people would see 24C as being warm), and closes off the argument that it may be just you finding it hot.

Have other people been complaining about being hot on your flight too?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

I have no idea how other people find the temperature. I may be more vociferous than the average passenger, but judging by the responses on here (and the recurring theme of overheated cabins) I am far from alone. And on the flights I have taken with my husband (eg my recent JNB F, but not last night’s IAD J) he has also found the cabin to be far too warm, independently of my perception.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

I wouldn't just tell the crew members of the temperature, I'd show the thermometer to them but do so in a nice, polite way rather than doing so aggressively.

It puts the matter beyond reasonable doubt that it's warm (most people would see 24C as being warm), and closes off the argument that it may be just you finding it hot.

PS it seems that some BA F customers like Flexible Preferences think the solution is for them to bring a fan on board because the F cabin is roasting while the crew are cold. I don’t think like that.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:32 pm

I have no idea how other people find the temperature. I may be more vociferous than the average passenger, but judging by the responses on here (and the recurring theme of overheated cabins) I am far from alone. And on the flights I have taken with my husband (eg my recent JNB F, but not last night’s IAD J) he has also found the cabin to be far too warm, independently of my perception.
If other people aren't obviously complaining, then it's better if you can show the crew the temperature at your seat then, because it's often very different from the galley. It's harder for crew to take the complaint of being too warm when they're in the galley. They should know it's cooler in the galley but they might not realise just how different it is at your seat.

In addition if you take a photo of the thermometer it is easier to prove to customer relations, should you decide to complain afterwards after the crew members fail to take action to lower the temperature, that the cabin was indeed at a certain temperature which renders more passengers uncomfortable. If you just say "it was too hot", there is no evidence to back up your complaint.

PS it seems that some BA F customers like Flexible Preferences think the solution is for them to bring a fan on board because the F cabin is roasting while the crew are cold. I don’t think lime that.
I agree with FP, even though it is not a proper 'solution' and it is just a band-aid fix. I prefer to be proactive and take a positive action to make myself comfortable than put up with it, because it is far more productive for my comfort than complaining about it afterwards.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 16, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

If other people aren't obviously complaining, then it's better if you can show the crew the temperature at your seat then, because it's often very different from the galley. It's harder for crew to take the complaint of being too warm when they're in the galley. They should know it's cooler in the galley but they might not realise just how different at your seat.

In addition if you take a photo of the thermometer it is easier to prove to customer relations, should you decide to complain afterwards after the crew members fail to take action to lower the temperature, that the cabin was indeed at a certain temperature which renders more passengers uncomfortable. If you just say "it was too hot", there is no evidence to back up your complaint.

I agree with FP, even though it is not a proper 'solution' and it is just a band-aid fix. I prefer to be proactive and take a positive action to make myself comfortable than put up with it, because it is far more productive for my comfort than complaining about it afterwards.
That is way too crazy for me. I ask the crew to keep/turn the temperature down. Sometime they respond, like the truly excellent CSM on my flight TO Johannesburg who said, on my shift it is cool. But I am not going to start carrying fans or thermometers with me. And yes, I still reserve the right to complain about temperature both onboard and on here, notwithstanding that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.