Wiki Posts
Search

Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by aristoph

That is way too crazy for me. I ask the crew to keep/turn the temperature down. Sometime they respond, like the truly excellent CSM on my flight TO Johannesburg who said, on my shift it is cool. But I am not going to start carrying fans or thermometers with me. And yes, I still reserve the right to complain about temperature both onboard and on here, notwithstanding that.
It's for when they don't respond, which does happen. It is of course your prerogative if you decide not to take any proactive action to make yourself more comfortable on board in case your on- board complaints do not have the desired effects, which appear to happen fairly often.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:45 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Are BA cabins so warm?? I know it’s not news, and I’ve read many of the previous threads. Taxiing right now on BA 216 and it’s a sauna. I get that on stand it’s APU power and I asked politely if they can keep it down tonight. They explained that they can’t control temperature for about 20 mins after take off! Never heard that on other airlines who don’t broil you through the night. It’s enough to make you fly American!
I've noticed the crew turn the heat up full blast particularly on late departure, light load flights to get passengers to sleep and keep them from bothering them and requesting service items...

Also, requesting passengers lower the window shades before deplaning at hot destinations, before it's towed away and parked for the day does wonders for making sure the next set of passengers don't have to endure a sauna like boarding experience.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by amt
I've noticed the crew turn the heat up full blast particularly on late departure
I don't think that's their intention. It's cold by the door, which people tend to feel more late at night, and some crew turn up the heat because they're cold, forgetting (or in some cases possibly ignoring) that it's warmer in the cabin away from the door.

If they were to try to get me to sleep by turning up the heat, it can backfire because I can't sleep if I am too hot, and I wake up if it gets too hot anyway, and I suspect that applies to a lot of people.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Bottom line, though, isn't it, that one can get warmer with blankets, a sweater, a ruana, etc. It is impossible without being arrested on arrival to get cool enough to be able to manage on some flights. I do not like sleeping without a cover over my body even in 1st class....it's just flat ladylike! However, BA provide only a quite heavy duvey (okay, okay it's a 1st world problem). I might be less likely to complain if I could have a simple sheet on some of these flights when it has to be warmer that 72F.
For what it's worth, the recommended temperature for best sleep is between 60F and 67F
prof and aristoph like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You wake up sweating regardless of the cabin temperature because BA insist on using synthetic duvets even in F where most airlines use down/feathers which allow your body to breathe.
your body breathes regardless of the material covered on it unless it’s cling film. Is Goldfinger your favourite Bond film?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Colder is more logical as you can waist warm up. Too warm and there is little you can do. Sadly either planes (747, 777) or some crews interfere with that.
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
I tend to find flights too warn but was recently on the 787 from New Orleans overnight and slept really well due to the cabin being quite cool.

There are a couple of things I have heard - no idea how true they are:

1. The crew tend to set the temperature so they are comfortable and on overnight flights they have less to do and so set it a little higher.
2. They set it warm in the hope that it makes passengers more likely to sleep (even though the evidence suggests it is easier to sleep when it is cooler)

As others have pointed out though it is far easier to warm up by adding a layer / blanket than it is to try and cool down (without it being indecent!)
It’s great sleeping in the white company fluffy duvet while the cabin feels 19-21 degrees. And the nice crew quietly leaves a chilled bottle of highland spring.
dreaming “this must be the upper deck”.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SKRan

your body breathes regardless of the material covered on it unless it’s cling film. Is Goldfinger your favourite Bond film?
yes "breathe freely" would have been more accurate. Your body breathes and releases moisture. In turn that moisture evaporates freely with natural fibres such as linen, cotton, down, and feather whilst polyester traps it hence the sweat.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 17, 2019 at 3:14 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold

It’s great sleeping in the white company fluffy duvet while the cabin feels 19-21 degrees.
I was recently on a JFK-LGW flight where the temperature in the cabin was set slightly on the chilly side, which I thought was perfect for an overnight flight (especially with new bedding which is warmer than the old blankets). I don't remember sleeping so well on a plane in a long time.
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It’s great sleeping in the white company fluffy duvet while the cabin feels 19-21 degrees. And the nice crew quietly leaves a chilled bottle of highland spring.
dreaming “this must be the upper deck”.
Except that of course, if you were on the upper deck, you would not get a White Company duvet, just the thin and very unfluffy quilted blanket...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mec72
I was recently on a JFK-LGW flight where the temperature in the cabin was set slightly on the chilly side, which I thought was perfect for an overnight flight (especially with new bedding which is warmer than the old blankets). I don't remember sleeping so well on a plane in a long time.
Yes - cos all of the people in economy and premium economy will really appreciate how it is nice for the people with a duvet; most people will get on an aeroplane wearing normal clothes and will not be having bedding laid out fot them. if it is too warm for a blanket or duvet, just don't use one. I try to avoid flights where the airline thinks that the bodies need to be kept fresh by being refrigerated
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:57 am

PS it seems that some BA F customers like Flexible Preferences think the solution is for them to bring a fan on board because the F cabin is roasting while the crew are cold. I don’t think like that.
I see that vociferous nature you talk about! To clarify, I have asked crew to turn the temperature down several times in the past. Sometimes they have done it, sometimes they have done it begrudgingly, and sometimes I have been ignored. Mostly it hasn't sat right with me - I'm annoyed at the resistance I meet.

Generally, I do think they often have temperature set too high, and I suspect it is because the crew get cold by the doors (don't forget outside it is -50), and perhaps there is a belief it helps us sleep (I don't agree with this). However, nowadays I am more aware that we share an aircraft with others. For instance, I nearly always drink when I fly, and alcohol makes me feel hot. Also, I like a cool bedroom at home - 17 degrees - but other people may feel the cold. On a recent flight the temperature in F was perfect, but then an elderly couple across the aisle said they were freezing cold so the crew turned the temperature up (and they were upgrades too!), but (upgrades aside) who is to say I should take priority over them?

In all my experience on this, and how much I've thought about the damn thing, I have come to the decision to spend £10 at Amazon for a quiet powerful USB rechargeable fan and now I can sleep easy and in comfort. Mind you, I've always been the self-reliant type.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:43 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Anyone noticed on shorthaul (various airlines) if you are either on last flight of the day to your destination or the flight has been delayed a while that the temperature gets bumped up. Almost as if it's being done to make you feel drowsy.

On long haul flights, I find if I am struggling to sleep that it makes you feel colder regardless of the cabin temp.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
this is why i feel awful complaining--because i know someone else in the cabin is always cold--no different than the workplace really.

so i only complain when i simply can't bear it anymore. on an A380 F flight to SFO months ago, it was unbearable and i asked three times and they did remark it had been turned down. but i regularly took trips to the forward doors at the base of the stairs to chill. literally. was freezing cold up there! it was heaven. i was in 1A and so very tempted to keep the curtain open to allow that cool air to enter the cabin but refrained!
orbitmic, LTN Phobia and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
this is why i feel awful complaining--because i know someone else in the cabin is always cold--no different than the workplace really.

so i only complain when i simply can't bear it anymore. on an A380 F flight to SFO months ago, it was unbearable and i asked three times and they did remark it had been turned down. but i regularly took trips to the forward doors at the base of the stairs to chill. literally. was freezing cold up there! it was heaven. i was in 1A and so very tempted to keep the curtain open to allow that cool air to enter the cabin but refrained!
Same here. As I mentioned, I often feel cold and sometimes feel hot, but I don't think that there is a single occasion in my life when I've asked crew to change the temperature on my behalf, because I know that for one me there is invariably another passenger somewhere in the cabin who is either sweating when I'm shivering or shivering when I'm sweating. I think crew always have a really hard job trying to please everyone.
Lefly likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:18 am

Except that of course, if you were on the upper deck, you would not get a White Company duvet, just the thin and very unfluffy quilted blanket...

yes "breathe freely" would have been more accurate. Your body breathes and releases moisture. In turn that moisture evaporates freely with natural fibres such as linen, cotton, down, and feather whilst polyester traps it hence the sweat.
Oh really? So we should wear cotton or down in gyms because the tech fibre kit locks sweat inside then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.