Wiki Posts
Search

Why oh why oh why? [Warm cabin]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by VSLover
what i am also curious about on these hot flights is why the cabin temp drops suddenly in the last hour of flight or so? do they think this "wakes us up" or something similar?
I am not sure why it does it and hopefully someone will be along to tell us but the B744 has me running to the temperature controls about 40 minutes before landing as it drops to around 19c automatically.
dcmike likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
It’s so difficult for the crew to get right. I’ve had many flights where I’m up and down adjusting the temperature as different points of view keeping flooding in. As mentioned above, the B747 is hardly worth adjusting, it just does its own thing!
Its really not. They should have a temperature range set by company policy and stick to it. However I find that the TK and ET cabins are the worst.
I usually ask them what temp the cabin is set at, often on ET the crew has admitted they set it to 24 degrees celcius, this is on long haul night flights. Someone else on FT once said recommended temp by ET/Airline manufacturer is 20-21 celcius on night flights. Once I confront the cabin crew with this statement they usually admit this is true and adjust the temperature. Even in light clothing I don't get any sleep on a plane which is more than 22 degrees. And I've often woken up with severe headache in a 24 degree celcius cabin. I should add, I am by no means "well insulated".
For you that are cold, bring a jacket or a blanket and stop complaining.
​​
NoY, opalfruit and Pelu like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We do have a company policy which we should be following, however we have aircraft types that seem to have their own policy and we only realise this once they have changed.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Goaguy
Its really not. They should have a temperature range set by company policy and stick to it.
Uh, without being blunt - yes it is. We do stick to a temperature set by the company but it’s not going to be right for everyone onboard, ever. And that person it’s not right for is sometimes going to be you; it’s just the way it goes.
You can set that temperature at 22 all you like but a 747 that’s been on the ground in CPT all day is having none of it and will be boiling hot whether you or I like it or not.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Overheated cabins are also a reason I dislike planes without individual air vents. If the plane is hot, the air vents offer some relief.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I don’t think you can draw that conclusion. I know that I can’t get to sleep without some kind of covering - it just doesn’t feel ‘right’ otherwise (not just on a plane). I wouldn’t be surprised if others were the same.

It shouldn’t be difficult to get right - there is an objective answer. Plenty of articles online explain why 16-18 degrees is optimal for sleep; here’s one from the Sleep Council:

https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/perfect-sleep-environment/
Fair point about the fact some people don't like to sleep without anything on them. OS used to provide bedsheets in J. I thought it was great and always loved it, and I would really like BA to do the same at least in F.

IMHO, however, unfair point about the supposed "objective answer". First of all, those temperatures are typically intended for bedrooms where most people will be covered by a proper bedding - often in the UK or the US a full duvet which can cover them entirely, and not a small, thin and flimsy blanket which I can decide will cover either my feet or my torso but certainly not both. Second, in the article that you quote, "is thought to be" is chosen on purpose as a deliberately very vague phrasing because the authors are perfectly aware that recommendations vary widely. Indeed, the one you picked - 16-18 - is the lowest I could find. This one, for instance, chooses 16-20 instead: https://www.simplemost.com/science-s...use-body-heat/

Even more interestingly, however, the recommended temperature tends to change by country and language. So if you look for a French version, you may well get a recommendation of 18-20 https://www.vanmarcke.com/fr-be/blog...mbre-a-coucher and if you cross a further border to Catalonia and search in Spanish the recommendation moves to 19-22. https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20...preguntas.html I don't even want to imagine what I would find if I spoke Japanese!

And then, of course, you have those who acknowledge that there is no "objective" answer agreed by science: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/arti...-summer-nights which goes back to the point some of us made earlier that there is no "ideal" temperature that would work for everyone, because preferences vary by cultural habit, individuals, or even for a given individual depending on the season/external temperature, the humidity, their level of tiredness or even their mood. In short, just like questions such as "how hard should a mattress be?", "what is the ideal pillow?", or "which airline has the comfiest seat?" there is no simple universal answer, but just a lot of different preferences out there.

Of course, for an airline, which will typically transport very different people, from very different countries, going to and from very different places and even opposite seasons, wearing very different clothes, it is even more unlikely that they could find a perfect answer. To make things worse, all those different people will do different things at any given time: you may be working while I sleep, I may be sleeping when you eat, etc. and typically, whenever people do make recommendations about temperature, those differ for a bedroom vs a living room, etc.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
It’s a rather different size to the 747 but you can add the Embraer 190 to the list of aircraft with hard to control temperatures. The temperature is set on a very imprecise dial on the front control panel - the majority of crew set it to somewhere around 21 degrees but on many of the aircraft you can end up with a roasting hot front half of the cabin and freezing at the back, feeing a drastic change around row 14. Or you could have a hot rear end and a chilly nose… and it can suddenly swap over during a flight, too! The 170 doesn’t seem to suffer from this effect quite so noticeably.

If it’s cold outside and the front door is open the system tends to overcompensate no matter what the temperature is set to so once the APU kicks in it becomes quite toasty rather quickly. Conversely if it’s hot outside you sometimes find pellets of ice coming out of the vents at the rear of the aircraft, particularly just after takeoff.

Last edited by EJetter; Mar 16, 2019 at 11:14 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Air France 777 cabins used to be the worst for temperature extremes in my experience. Much depends on where you're sitting of course.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Side note. You can't catch a cold virus from being cold. Nor does cold temperature make you any more likely to become infected. The only way to catch a cold virus is to catch it from another person who has it. The temperature is completely irrelevant from a scientific perspective.
Not quite. Yes, you do have to be infected by a cold virus to get a cold. But cold air has been shown to reduce the ability of airway cells to mount an effective immune response when exposed to cold viruses.
dylanks likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You can’t win this one. One person is cold - another is too hot. If it’s hot, take something off. If you’re cold ask for a blanket It’s not rocket science 🙄🙄

There’s hot and there’s stuffy. It’s not the same thing.
Keeping it cooler allows who feels cold putting on blankets/extra clothing as wished and people can sleep calmer. But keeping it warm would require who feels too warm to take off clothes - can be impractical or offensive. Many unrest passengers create a bad cabin environment for all.

But not as cold as CX/SQ. seriously chilling inside CX F once, their IFD shook my hand at the end of the flight and said “cool hands, warm heart” once. I didn’t have a clue on how to respond.
aristoph and beamac like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
What I don't understand .. If I'm cold I can put on a sweater or a jacket or use a blanket .
But when I'm hot.. What all do you want me to take off?

​​​​​I have the feeling it has gotten better with the temperature being bareble.. But I used to wear nothing but briefs to sleep ..
Guess it saves them pj's.

And on top.. The warmer air is dryer and just yikes.

Malaysian usually is a fridge that even I put on a sweater . Lovely.. AA domestic of course too
prof and aristoph like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
actually this does remind me of my last F flight JFK-LHR on 777.

thankfully the cabin was maybe 1/4 full and i complained it was hot with no air nozzles. the temp went down a bit but when i was ready to go to sleep the great FA suggested making my bed in 4E as "it is usually most cold back there" and what do you know? best sleep and temp ever but it was definitely much colder than where i was sat in 2A.
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess aristoph is more used to other aircraft type, this was a 747, and it will be interesting to know whether the following then happened: it's often the case that the temperature on 747s is whacked up on the ground, when the APU is more or less effective. When disengaging from the gate at IAD, the APU power for heating drops off, and the outside temperature in DC would be close to freezing point, maybe a degree or two above. So if you're not careful - and there is a delay / queues in departing IAD - the cabin temperature will drop. If the delay in departure is extended then you'll have the situation of a cabin getting colder and colder, and very little anyone can do about it. Hence whacking up the temperature at departure time. This condition persists on the 747 for quite a few minutes after tale off, and as indicated 20 minutes after take off the full, if clunky, control, of temperature comes back to the crew. So normally you can only start to complain about sauna conditions around 40 minutes after take off, it takes a good 10 minutes after pressing the dials that the impact works through.

I hope the OP comes back with the outcome, but this a common issue with older wide-body aircraft, and in the case of the 747, being a big lady, there really isn't a better solution on the ground. The newer aircraft - any size - are much better in this area.

BA216 left the gate on time yesterday, at 19:27 local, and got to take off at 19:50, so 23 minutes, which is pretty good for IAD. The OP posted at 19:45 local.
Hi. It was 78F when I arrived at Dulles last night, according to my chauffeur’s car thermostat. So the crew certainly weren’t whacking up heating to offset the outside cold. I reclined my bed as soon as the seatbelt sign went off and slept in a t shirt and slacks, with no cover of any kind (which I do find uncomfortable but it was just too warm to even think of a blanket). I woke a couple of times in the night and I could feel sweat on my brow so no change in the basic heat level, I half thought about going to speak to the crew, but as I had already done so I’guessed it would have zero impact and I preferred to try to maximise my closed eye time on a 6h 20m flight.

in my experience, stuffy overheated cabins are just par for the course with BA, regardless of aircraft; I was superheated in F on a recent return flight from JNB.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
@aristoph are you diabetic?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aristoph

I half thought about going to speak to the crew, but as I had already done so I’guessed it would have zero impact and I preferred to try to maximise my closed eye time on a 6h 20m flight.
Thanks for reporting back, though it was disappointing to read that it stayed hot. The reason you are in CW is so as to sleep comfortably. I would nevertheless encourage you to mention something to the crew, it may be that someone else complained. You will definitely have zero impact if you say nothing. Equally they may well have had complaints from other people about being too cold. Though I have had some hot cabins in my time, it's not the norm in my experience.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.