Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Asia Route in WT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Best Asia Route in WT

I'm planning on burning my 200k avios and 2-4-1 for a trip to Asia this Summer. In days gone by this would have been enough for me and missus to enjoy the pointy end of things, but the advent of kids means I'm now booking travel for 4 so its looking like WT is on the cards. I'm a GCH, and there's currently availability to all three of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok (all of which have Asia City stuff to do and are a good jumping off point for a beach break that we're also planning in Phuket/Langkawi/Kota Kinabalu etc.)

I'm currently erring on the side of Singapore as the A380 WT upper deck side seating of 2 sounds like the best for a family of four - and I'd read on here that the 777s that go to Bangkok are old and decrepit and the 787 to KL offer a somewhat cozy experience down the back. I just wanted to check if this sounds right and/or if people think there are other reasons to opt for one of the other cities instead?

Any advice/thoughts/views appreciated!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Sound reasoning on the 380 being the aircraft of choice down the back.

You don't say how old the kids are but Singapore is great family location with the Sentosa attractions which would make it a win-win for me.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A380 to HKG or SIN, upper deck for the side bins. While things like the B777-300 isn't too cramped, the length of the flight combined with the noise and dryness makes it no fun at all. And the 777-200 is arguably worse, more so if it is the Rockwell Collins IFE. If you aren't a heffa-lump like me then the 787s aren't too bad I guess.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
Sound reasoning on the 380 being the aircraft of choice down the back.

You don't say how old the kids are but Singapore is great family location with the Sentosa attractions which would make it a win-win for me.
Thanks! They're 5 and 8 so Sentosa would definitely be a good plan!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you aren't a heffa-lump like me then the 787s aren't too bad I guess.
My son the other day asked if I was pregnant. I'm not. And I'm a chap - so I think I'll be avoiding the 787 ;-)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Winchy78
In days gone by this would have been enough for me and missus to enjoy the pointy end of things, but the advent of kids means I'm now booking travel for 4 so its looking like WT is on the cards.
I don't think you've thought about this properly. Spend the 2-4-1 on a J redemption for you and your wife, and buy WT cash for the children for a few hundred quid... And that will mean the A380 to SIN is the best choice, so you and your wife can have a CW window pair on the upper deck, and the kids can sit at the back of the lower deck. With luck, they won't find you for the entire 14 hour flight.
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
I don't think you've thought about this properly. Spend the 2-4-1 on a J redemption for you and your wife, and buy WT cash for the children for a few hundred quid... And that will mean the A380 to SIN is the best choice, so you and your wife can have a CW window pair on the upper deck, and the kids can sit at the back of the lower deck. With luck, they won't find you for the entire 14 hour flight.
i am sure the other WT passengers will be thrilled with the 5 & 8 year old running about!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Winchy78
I'm planning on burning my 200k avios and 2-4-1 for a trip to Asia this Summer. In days gone by this would have been enough for me and missus to enjoy the pointy end of things, but the advent of kids means I'm now booking travel for 4 so its looking like WT is on the cards.
Even with a 2-4-1, redeeming Avios for WT may not be good value, particularly if you're travelling on dates on which the lowest booking classes have availability. It's definitely worth looking at what notional cash value you'd be getting for your Avios before you make a decision about one route or the other. Other factors like imminent expiry of the 2-4-1 can affect the assessment too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.