Search

HHA avios redemption for a minor

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
HHA avios redemption for a minor

Hi.

I checked the sticky post on avios for this but couldn't find answer. I'm in HHA with 3 family members. However, cannot add my 17 year old. According to avios guide, I can only redeem reward flights for people in the HHA. Is this strictly true and what can I do for the 17yo? Can it be resolved by calling BA directly?

Thanks a kot
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:08 am

Have you tried adding the person to your Friends & Family list?
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You should be able to add a minor to your HHA - they can join BAEC in that form. You can also put a few names on your Friends & Family list: redeeming is not strictly for HHA members only.
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

No. But i will try. Thanks a lot
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have neither a Household Account nor a Friends and Family list, yet I often book reward flights for family members and friends.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
I have neither a Household Account nor a Friends and Family list, yet I often book reward flights for family members and friends.
Household Accounts are more restrictive than individual accounts, in return for the ability to pool your family's avios.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by TTmex
Hi.

I checked the sticky post on avios for this but couldn't find answer. I'm in HHA with 3 family members. However, cannot add my 17 year old. According to avios guide, I can only redeem reward flights for people in the HHA. Is this strictly true and what can I do for the 17yo? Can it be resolved by calling BA directly?

Thanks a kot
I have a 17 year-old in my HHA
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abligh
I have a 17 year-old in my HHA
You add them as friend and family? As opposed to having their own account?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by TTmex
You add them as friend and family? As opposed to having their own account?
They have their own BAEC number and added them to my HHA (not F&F). I could presumably also have added them to F&F.

... which I now see is a bit odd as BA Ts & Cs say "3.1. Individuals who are 18 years of age or over may apply for Membership." - I have how that happened.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by abligh
They have their own BAEC number and added them to my HHA (not F&F). I could presumably also have added them to F&F.

... which I now see is a bit odd as BA Ts & Cs say "3.1. Individuals who are 18 years of age or over may apply for Membership." - I have how that happened.
Membership via a HHA is the only way that an under-18 can be a BAEC member.

That would seem to be the formal answer to TTmex's original question about how to get the 17 year-old into the HHA, although adding them to the F&F list may be a sufficient workaround for the time being (as you don't have to be a BAEC member to be on the F&F list, and the passenger wouldn't earn any Avios or TPs for the award flight that is contemplated).
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Membership via a HHA is the only way that an under-18 can be a BAEC member.

That would seem to be the formal answer to TTmex's original question about how to get the 17 year-old into the HHA, although adding them to the F&F list may be a sufficient workaround for the time being (as you don't have to be a BAEC member to be on the F&F list, and the passenger wouldn't earn any Avios or TPs for the award flight that is contemplated).
Got it, this makes sense. Yeh, he cannot have his own BAEC number, but I'll try adding via F&F. Hope that works. If it doesn't, I'll drop BA a call. I'd like to get it sorted as we need to fly 3 separate legs in Europe this summer and currently tickets on those running about 150-200 per person per leg. Doing this with Avios is far more cost efficent at 4500 per leg (short-hops) and the RFS.

Appreciate the help
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

This worked. Adding to f and f.

Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.