Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Five Years Reading... 5,000th Post... £5,000 saved ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five Years Reading... 5,000th Post... £5,000 saved ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It's a really interesting question and one I've probably subconsciously considered myself over the years. If I hadn't discovered FT maybe 15 years ago, I'd certainly not have travelled so much as I have (and definitely not so far forward!), so I would have spent less - but it's given me the opportunity to give the family some amazing holidays, travelling the world in CW and even F and just recently getting Gold for Life which should help to make retirement just that little more fun.

It also means that nowadays we can just hop over to Europe on RFS tickets at very low cost, so it's certainly improved things for all of us.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I haven't been here as long as many, but I will concur. I have indeed been spending a bit more, but in so much more style
My first F last month, and the second one in a couple of weeks. Playing with ITA, trying to get it to price, knowing more about routing options than BA agents on the phone, HUACA, giving up and calling Propeller instead.

My friends think I'm crazy, even if my TP runs have only been in Europe recently. But then they're happy when I can guest them in a lounge... And I'm going to be Gold for the first time
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by alex67500; Apr 10, 2019 at 5:21 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Member

From what I can tell I am one of the early FT members, joining in 1998, 21 years ago next month, when the BA page was inhabited by the likes of MerryFlyer. I have in that time made a rather pathetic 1162 posts, but hopefully more on the quality than quantity spectrum.

I have made substantial savings from knowledge gleaned on FT and had much better travel experiences (better class of travel, lounge access, hotel upgrades, etc etc) from it all.

A big thank you to everyone that posts here for the benefit of all readers.
ThatT1Feeling, T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Given that quite a few folk have increased their spend due to FT, I think that BA "owes" the contributors something. Maybe first notice of forthcoming offers?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Given that quite a few folk have increased their spend due to FT, I think that BA "owes" the contributors something. Maybe first notice of forthcoming offers?
They may have increased their spending, but I am willing to bet that it is low (or very low!) yield business, so not exactly attractive to BA, hence they would be unlikely to offer FTers anything.

In fact, they offer high yield customers benefits already....
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
They may have increased their spending, but I am willing to bet that it is low (or very low!) yield business, so not exactly attractive to BA, hence they would be unlikely to offer FTers anything.

In fact, they offer high yield customers benefits already....
And judging by what you read on here a chunk of that spend goes to other Oneworld airlines anyway.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Actually that would be a bad idea because we would end up taking all the "good" offers and leave none for people who they're trying to attract with said offers.

Slightly off topic, but Eurostar face the same issue: if they try to sell cheap weekend deals for London to Paris, they all get taken away by the numerous French who live in London.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BaGold
Great question. Just discovering ITA Matrix through this site has saved me at least $25k a year on business travel that I would have done anyway and has got me more TPs along the way. Now I’ve shared with colleagues I expect we could hit $100k pa in savings on travel we’d have done anyway which is a good win for a small/medium business! I don’t travel more but I definitely travel cheaper (good for Co) and smarter (better products chosen, lounges, travel tips etc). And the knowledge and help people give on the site is incredibly generous and insightful!
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
And judging by what you read on here a chunk of that spend goes to other Oneworld airlines anyway.
Well, the Joint Business Venture still feeds BA money!

I will happily admit that most of our big TP earners have entailed a slab of AA sectors via random routings ex-EU. And I do have a twinge of ‘guilt’ whenever we take a direct flight instead of via B, C and D. BUT ... when time is on your side, and it’s for leisure, why not?

It’s a sort of hobby, I guess, playing TP earning against cash. And we Elders find it quite fun! And we get to fly a lot, to different places. QR to CPT via DOH in J later this year ... that WILL be interesting!
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I certainly started off saving money through FT, now mrs sl1ppy won't travel long-haul in Y (or WTP!), so while we're travelling more comfortably, I'm not sure it'll be a saving in the long run
alex67500 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by sl1ppy
I certainly started off saving money through FT, now mrs sl1ppy won't travel long-haul in Y (or WTP!), so while we're travelling more comfortably, I'm not sure it'll be a saving in the long run
That's one of things. Once you've tasted J and above, there's no coming back.

Just on a short FlyBE flight last weekend with no status, no priority boarding etc. It felt really really wrong...
Ancient Observer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.