Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
As per all of the above points (noise cancelling headphones, water, etc) I'd add the following:

1)
a Stuff bag a Stuff bag
. This sits in my backpack until the gate when I get it out ready. It contains anything I think I might need during the flight so I don't need to get to my back pack in the overhead locker. I'd have cables, tablet, pills, moisturiser etc in there. The one in the link is an example. It sits between my legs so it doesn't affect my leg room when I want to stretch out and the drawstring means I can hang it on the coat hook (except at take off and landing). It also means I'm not faffing about when I get to my seat, blocking the aisles while I get things out.
2)
an inflatable foot rest. an inflatable foot rest.
This is in my Stuff bag. It takes the pressure off my legs and makes me feel more comfortable. On this point, don't forget yourhttps://www.boots.com/holidays/travel-essentials/flight-socks too!

One tip that may be unusual - try learning to sleep upright or on your back. I am a side sleeper and when travelling Y I try to turn on my side. All it does is give you neck ache and annoy the person next to you (as a woman did on my flight this week) as you spill over into their space. I've done 4 sectors on Cathay's A350s (to and from Australia) and found it remarkably comfortable and had little overall jet lag. Cathay's headrest opens up to support your neck in many ways. I could raise it high enough not to interfere with my old Bose Qc15s. And most importantly it kept my head in place so I didn't feel the need to side sleep. I don't think BA has this, so see what sort of neck pillow you can tolerate. I know when I fly easyjet for 3 hours and they have no headrest, it's a real pain. Literally!!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You've already been given the tips I would have come up with....choosing day flights wherever possible being the best one. ^ Even if it means having to spend the night at an airport hotel the evening before departure....works for me when flying Y and even J as I can't sleep on an aircraft.

I remember one flight with Air China when the big screen wasn't working so was glad to have some reading material with me or someone to talk to. Snacks you like are handy to have as well. Doing without a decent coffee is probably the thing I miss most...not sure if there's a way around that these days though?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:05 pm

+1 on noise-cancelling headphones (Bose)
+1 on water + snacks
+1 on your own entertainment.
+ extra socks so you can take your shoes off and keep your feet warm and smell-free
+ if your flight was timed differently and, perhaps, was a little longer, an Ambien/zolpidem to sleep it off
Texter likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by bigwalrus
The only strategy that's worked for me on an overnight Y is to get to a nice, comfortable level of inebriation such that I fall asleep before takeoff and wake up an hour before landing.
Given the general group here, I'm surprised it took 56 responses to get a tip such as this!

rb211.
endoman, DeathSlam, Hilde and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Wait until being the very last person to board. That way you can see if there’s any row of seats available or spaces where you will be able to lie down.You then save £3000 and have a bed
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by RB211
Given the general group here, I'm surprised it took 56 responses to get a tip such as this!

rb211.
i know this is light hearted, but have to point out drinking is about the worst thing you can do long haul in Y. You don't get restful sleep, and you wake up clammy and stiff necked, with a mouth that feels like the inside of a Greek waiter's jockstrap, and very dehydrated.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:36 pm

I regularly do ORD-ZRH in Y on a 777. Ipad and/or a book, and lots of water -- the latter will keep you hydrated AND incentivize a few trips to the back, both of which help.

Honestly, LHR-JFK is short enough that if your mind is set on finishing a book or catching up on a show, you'll be disappointed how fast it's over.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
i know this is light hearted, but have to point out drinking is about the worst thing you can do long haul in Y. You don't get restful sleep, and you wake up clammy and stiff necked, with a mouth that feels like the inside of a Greek waiter's jockstrap, and very dehydrated.
Yes, definitely light hearted. (Well, mostly!) And in the same vein... how do you know what the inside of a Greek waiter's jockstrap feels like? Is it any better or worse than the inside of an Italian waiter's jockstrap? Or Chinese? Or Korean? Or American? Or French? And how do all of those compare to a waitress's thong from those same countries? Inquiring minds want to know. (Well, sort of!)

rb211.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Take enough xanax that you kind of just zone out for the whole thing or better yet don't go at all.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Yes, definitely light hearted. (Well, mostly!) And in the same vein... how do you know what the inside of a Greek waiter's jockstrap feels like? Is it any better or worse than the inside of an Italian waiter's jockstrap? Or Chinese? Or Korean? Or American? Or French? And how do all of those compare to a waitress's thong from those same countries? Inquiring minds want to know. (Well, sort of!)
I really think I could get through the day without knowing.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
I do long haul Y (11 - 15 hours) multiple times a year though not on BA. The only tips I'd add to the excellent advice already given:
  • if you prefer aisle seats*, when selecting look for middle section aisles with unoccupied middle seat next to you. The one or two absolutely "middle-middle" seats are, in my experience, the least likely to be selected by latecomers.
  • I am hyper concerned about stinky feet, so if I decide to take my shoes off I bring a pair of FitKicks. They are like socks with plastic soles, and act like shoes. I can even wear them to a lav in safety (barring someone going full firehose in there prior to my arrival).
  • If you wear contacts fly in your glasses. With contacts in, booze intake or not, sleep (bad bad bad) or not, your eyes will be DRY and annoying by landing. And removing contacts during a flight is a huge pain IMHO.
*I prefer window but I really like the window open almost all the time. Nobody else on the plane likes that so...aisle it is.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold

rb211.
I thought the expression was Maltese Wrestler’s jockstrap.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:33 am

I’ve been travelling in CW/F with the family for the last few trips, but will be travelling in Y on my own back to HK.

Booked the A380s flight and chosen seat 25D, I’m hoping the extra space will make the flight more comfortable.

Does anyone know if I can put something on the floor area as a foot rest during flight? Also, is it ok to ask cabin crew to get me a headset and slippers from WTP? I’m BA silver if that makes any different.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by claptonalex
Wait until being the very last person to board. That way you can see if there’s any row of seats available or spaces where you will be able to lie down.You then save £3000 and have a bed
This is probably the best tip I have read about flying in Y.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
In addition to water, snacks, entertainment I take a few inflatableneck pillows. They are great for padding out the seat. Don’t fully inflate then use one for neck support, one for lumbar support and one each side to rest against the armrests. It just makes the seat so much more comfortable after you’ve been sitting for a few hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.