Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:39 am

We just flew from LGW to MCO on one of the refurbed 777s and had the best Y flight of my life. The new 10 abreast configuration means the seats are a little narrow at the shoulder, but not uncomfortable to me (I am not a small girl, think Adele, not Amy Winehouse), about 5’6 and I felt I had a ton of room. The food was not pretty, but very tasty. Crew came through with water and juice 3 times during the 9 hour flight, in addition to the bar service and meals. The new IFE was great, a lot of selection, and my kids, husband and myself passed the time very pleasantly.

So bring good headphones, get up to stretch every couple of hours, and maybe bring a bottle of water if you like to hydrate a lot (I do, so I did).

Our last Y flight on BA was an absolute nightmare, 12 hours from LHR to LAX with a broken seatback and no seat cushion to sit on (no, not kidding or exaggerating!). My expectations were extremely low, and we flew BA again only because we had miles and a space available upgrade one-way due to the previous issues we had. BA definitely won my loyalty back, but I think a lot had to do with the route and the newer equipment.
saint_em and MiraculousM like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Joely
Stay home ...I guess my advice would be to try and get out of it.
This is the sort of counsel that makes FT seem ridiculous or irrelevant to the 95% of the traveling public that survives down the back of the plane. Most flyers manage in economy class; some even look forward to their trips. Come on.

Pay the fee to secure an aisle seat before check-in, walk around the terminal a lot before you board, keep your (secure lace-up) shoes ON for takeoff (and landing), don't eat too much carby, starchy food, don't go overboard with the booze, and bring your own music or audiobooks.

Seven hours is nothing much really. There is no need to gird for the journey like you're planning to swim the Channel.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It's really very nice and refreshing to read a thread like this discussing economy without status.

Giving the OP some tips, and given the large numbers who travel down the back is no doubt appreciated by many including I suspect many a lurker here.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It’s almost like some posters flew premuim class straight outta the womb and in their teens and 20s.

I fly economy class more than premium and I’m also 6’4”. What helps me is:
I can sleep on a plane. On most flights to Asia I get at least 4 hours of sleep.
I prefer nighttime flights
Bring water
Noice cancelling headphones
a jacket or hoodie to act as a blanket
Good mindset going on.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
As others have stated, flying in Y is all about attitude.

One thing I am a little surprised about is how many people are advising to sit in a window seat. I have a pathological hatred of them and find the aisle infinitely more comfortable. Hint: underneath the back end of the aisle-side armrest, there is a small button you can press to allow the armrest to be lifted up (doesn't apply to bulkhead or exit seats, where the tray tables are folded into the armrest.
BearX220 and MiraculousM like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Headphones: don't skimp - I spent many years slowly going up the cost per set until thinking sod it, and bought myself a set of Bose QC20s - these are in-ear headphones which I prefer because you can snooze more comfortably with them on (in).

Tablet/Phone: others have mentioned films / TV / audiobooks. I like to get in to podcasts as well - whether that be comedy or documentary. Don't forget to bring a USB charging cable on with you - my preference is a semi-coiled one to keep things tidy and workable.

Bulkhead seats might suit you, but remember that the arm rests are likely fixed down taking up space, and you can't watch the final 10 minutes of that movie that you calculated you had time to watch because the IFE has to be put away folded back in to the arm rest before landing. Although the bassinets do act as a great table once you're up in the air.
MiraculousM and SightseeMC like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
As others have stated, flying in Y is all about attitude.

One thing I am a little surprised about is how many people are advising to sit in a window seat. I have a pathological hatred of them and find the aisle infinitely more comfortable. Hint: underneath the back end of the aisle-side armrest, there is a small button you can press to allow the armrest to be lifted up (doesn't apply to bulkhead or exit seats, where the tray tables are folded into the armrest.
Your right re attitude.

Some like window seats for the view, to lean on and sleep plus if you do have status you can possibly end up with a blocked seat next to you with Theoretical Seating.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:23 am

For a day flight, it's not that bad. Just think of it as if you were spending a day at home on the couch. Have some snacks and a bottle of water, but they'll bring you one or two meals. There will be movies, you can read a book or play on your phone, have a nap, and before you know it you're there.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:36 am

Good podcasts to listen to or movies to watch on your phone/tablet takes an amazing amount of time off a flight, and you don't need alot of room to enjoy them. I find the inflight offerings not as compelling as what I have on prime or even vimeo. If you want to sleep, music is great. Needless to say, good noise-cancelling or comfortable in-ear headphones are key.
Having said that, I did a pair of 14 hour flights last year and being in the economy-plus seat with room and power to really use my laptop was a game changer. Totally worth the couple hundred bucks since I got a full day's work in each way.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As a regular traveller in long haul Y for work, with occasional treats up to WTP there is some good advice here. If you worry about getting to the airport early then plan to have a meal, especially if it is a middle of the day flight. When I lost silver status I adopted Wagamama inT5 as my place to eat and for about £20 the food and drink is ample and it's no worse than paying for a lounge.

as many others have said, attitude is key. I never flew or even left the UK until I was 20 and 13 years later I travel the world for work. I try not to forget how lucky I am to be able to go to these places at all.

Oh and being nice to the crew is essential, but so few people make an effort in Y that your efforts will be repaid in service.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
One thing I am a little surprised about is how many people are advising to sit in a window seat. I have a pathological hatred of them and find the aisle infinitely more comfortable.
Whereas I cannot abide aisle seats. I am not a particularly large person but I find aisles these days are pretty narrow and you can get bashed repeatedly by people and/or bags during boarding, or carts during service. People walking (or kids running) around create more of a visual distraction from my book or movie. Plus the odd times I get into an aisle seat, I end up with seat mates that need the loo or to stretch their legs every hour or so.

In my window seat, I can sleep up against the wall, which gives me extra space, I never need to be woken up by someone wanting to get out and have the bonus of some amazing views. What's not to like?

But each to their own. I'm very happy that not everyone favours windows.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

This may seem like a dumb question but i was always under the impression that bulkheads were blocked off for families.

I never get exit row seats as i am only 5'1 AND i like having things under my seat in front of me.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
This may seem like a dumb question but i was always under the impression that bulkheads were blocked off for families.

I never get exit row seats as i am only 5'1 AND i like having things under my seat in front of me.
Some seats are reserved for bassinets but the other 6 to 8 seats can be reserved at any time.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Some seats are reserved for bassinets but the other 6 to 8 seats can be reserved at any time.
Aren't these blocked for GCH on long haul flights?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I believe on long-haul the exit rows can be paid for by anyone, the bassinet middle 3 or 4 are sometimes all blocked until 72 hours ahead, so if there is a family they get to sit together. Then, once the bassinet seats are released, anyone can pay for the extra legroom (but accept the narrower seat and limitations of having the table and TV in the armrest), or take it for free at check-in for the first flight of the segment. GCH can select the seats once they are unblocked at T-72 for free, or can select long-haul exit row for free. I think.
MiraculousM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.