Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joely

That person is a contortionist
If i was the person in front or even in front to the left or right i would say something
pythonisman likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Check in online at exactly t-24 to get the best possible seat. Then don’t print or download your boarding pass until the latest possible moment, this enables you to check back often to see if a better seat is available to move to. This does happen often in the hours leading up to boarding as people miss connections, upgrade themselves or move themselves to other seats they prefer.

I would actively avoid the advice to do everything you can to upgrade, if your mentality is that you have to get upgraded to be comfortable you are almost certainly going to be disappointed when you end up in the seat you booked. Try for an upgrade by all means but don’t set all your hopes on it.

Load up your tablet with entertainment, make the most of the fairly comfortable seat and free food and drink (feel free to ask for drinks outside of the service periods, they will be happy to get you one) and the 7 hours will literally fly by!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Misco60
Millions of people fly in economy class every day and live to tell the tale. In fact, my partner, who is the wealthiest pensioner I know, will only ever fly economy: he is one of those rare and enviable people who can get comfortable and sleep anywhere and simply has no need to pay a lot more for a flat bed or bigger seat. Just approach the flight stoically - at worst, it will be a few hours of slight discomfort. And take some backup entertainment in case the IFE fails.
And bear in mind that when you arrive at your destination your bank account will typically be around £2,000 healthier than it would have been if you had forked out for what can all too often be a less than stellar experience in the premium cabins.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
When travelling in Y, if you have no great need to rush off anywhere I suggest booking a seat towards the rear. There is more chance of an empty seat beside you and if you are really lucky an economy ‘lay flat bed’ (middle row all to yourself).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Clan Loganair, BAEC (Blue4life), AMEX
I can't add anything that hasn't really been added here but as some who trots round the world on the cheapest Y tickets for work (thus never earning any meaningful status), here are a few of my tips:

- A positive attitude is a must. Don't sweat the small stuff because that just grinds you down
- Go for a walk through the tunnel between buildings at T5, a stretch of the legs works wonders
- Sit at an empty gate to get away from others and watch the goings on outside or people watch
- Eat lightly and often. I find works to keep me comfortable
- Have a carrier bag with the bare essentials (book, water, pen etc) and put under the seat and your main bag up in the locker, ideally travel with just the carrier bag(!!) but have your other bag as a small squashable rucksack so it will always fit in the locker
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after the flight
- Take your trouser belt and shoes off when seated
- Put the BA app on your phone and watch it like a hawk so you check in and reserve a seat as soon as it opens
- I always sit on the aisle, ideally on the last row so I can have guilt free recline
- Get up and walk about
- Have a chat with the crew
- Don't worry about sleep quality - it's easy to worry about that so much, that you don't actually sleep!
- Watch a film, documentary, read a little, snooze, pad about the cabin and before you know it, it's time to land
- If it's a regular occurrence, then I personally found having an amex platinum valuable for gaining lounge access and having a quiet corner to sit in before spending a few hours in a crowded tube (YMMV)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Take day flights where possible.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sjrk1
- Take your trouser belt and shoes off when seated
Though of course you are best to slip out of your shoes after take off and before landing, from a safety perspective. Also I have been on flights where people lose their shoes during take off / landing and they simply can't be found (presumably someone scoops up all their stuff and only realises several hours later that they have some strange shoe). So the passenger ends up trying to complete their trip without one or both shoe(s).
MiraculousM, florens and Deltus like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Clan Loganair, BAEC (Blue4life), AMEX
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Though of course you are best to slip out of your shoes after take off and before landing, from a safety perspective. Also I have been on flights where people lose their shoes during take off / landing and they simply can't be found (presumably someone scoops up all their stuff and only realises several hours later that they have some strange shoe). So the passenger ends up trying to complete their trip without one or both shoe(s).
I had assumed that it's a given to keep your shoes etc on for take-off and landing!

Never thought about people wandering off with a mystery shoe...
Though I doubt anyone would want my rather agricultural boots!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
Benadryl has a half life of 4.3 hours. Typically, I find one pill per 70 pounds of me is enough to knock me out. For a 140 pound person on a 7 hour flight, I'd take 5 as you get on the plane.

(Keep in mind that regulations wrt Benadryl differ country-to-country, and that using too much too often does have negative health effects.)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Theres always the Aspire Lounge in T5 which is ok and certainly can make for a relaxing experience before a Y flight if you don't have status but theres a few places to hang out.

A walk to the galley well after dinner and sometimes striking up a conversation with the CC asking for a cuppa can in my many Y experiences kill 20-30 minutes and most in my experience like this but you have to time/judge it right and probably more applicable on much longer sectors.

IFE should be OK on the JFK route generally but have a back up. Book, IFE, magazines. If your in a 747 it's worth going for a window ar the rear. 51/52 specifically sitting in the K side going west so the sun isn't blazing in. Watching the sky/clouds, thinking can kill some time too!

So board, enjoy the take off, watch a film, eat, little nap if you can, stretch out/walk, play a quiz, read and before you know it there'll only be a few hours until touchdown
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
All of the above really, but top tip is to buy a pair of BA F PJs to travel in and sigh audibly and often as you progress down the aisle, to give the impression you've fallen on straitened times. It'll cheer the crew up, and you get better gruel portions from a happy crew.

Y is fine. The food's ok too, the chicken curry for example is really tasty. I have frequently done the Far East down the back, and the trick is to settle down with a glass of something and doze, watch a film, or meditate.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
PS prominently displayed bronze tags add to the effect.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
I will add that ordering one of the paid-for meals on BA (only available from London) can add a bit of change and fun to the Y experience. Wheter the price is worth it only you can say! They are, after all, just reheated ready meals after a fashion.

Definitely have a bottle of water with you, and snacks that don't leave you dehydrated (raid the shops in the terminal if no time to organise before). You can bring your own amenity kit but the only thing I want during or after a flight is brushing my teeth...

I do sleep anytime anywhere, most of my travel (including 12h+ flights) is in economy and have only had status this year. I have however used lounges courtesy of priority pass/dragon pass and find them useful for smaller airports like Luton/Stansted. LHR has a lot of seats and food options, lounges can be nice but there are better options.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:27 am

If possible, I always try and book the early morning return so that I avoid having to try and sleep on the short overnight. And that's the case for me in any class as the flight home is way too short to get any meaningful sleep. If in Y, it makes the experience far more palatable for me.

And remember - you are flying all the way to NY and back for what - £400 compared to around £1500 or more? I have done it many times and I lived to tell the tale. It's 7 hours sitting while someone feeds you, watch movies, read a book. Hardly a difficulty. Heck most people spend more time at their desk each day doing some menial task they'd happily give up if they could.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: BA (Silver), UA, Virgin FC Silver, Microsoft Word, blah blah
As a regular long haul flyer in Y this is all great advice...I usually try to get a seat near the front of the Y cabin as somehow psychologically you don't feel quite so packed in with a sea of rows in front of you...plus you get off the plane a bit quicker at the other end. I tend not to eat much but do make use of the abundant free booze if I'm in the mood (and not crashing straight into work on arrival). I just put a blanket over me, try to get some sleep and have something decent to read/watch en route.
MiraculousM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.