Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

High winds at LHR tomorrow, should I be worried?

High winds at LHR tomorrow, should I be worried?

Reply

Old Mar 14, 19, 3:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 91
High winds at LHR tomorrow, should I be worried?

Hi

im flying LHR -IAD tomorrow 11.30am, forecast is 45mph winds, Iím not great with turbulence, should I be worried?
Bluesky30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:30 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London UK
Programs: Club Carlson Gold, BAEC Silver, TK Elite
Posts: 467
Itís really impossible to answer your question.

Just turn up and hope it isnít as bad as you fear.

Experience has has taught me the worst rarely happens...
CoweyB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:36 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,050
What is it you think you should be worried about?
ajeleonard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:43 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
What is it you think you should be worried about?
Iím worried that it will be extremely bumpy, turbulence makes me really nervous.

hopefully it wonít be as bad as Iím imagining!
Bluesky30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:58 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 24,773
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post
Hi

im flying LHR -IAD tomorrow 11.30am, forecast is 45mph winds, Iím not great with turbulence, should I be worried?
what forecast are you looking at? The airport area forecast shows winds around 15kts during your departure time tomorrow.
KARFA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:58 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,886
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post


Iím worried that it will be extremely bumpy, turbulence makes me really nervous.

hopefully it wonít be as bad as Iím imagining!
I think, if you are realistic with yourself, and think that yes, it might be bumpy for the first 15-20 minutes, till you climb away from lower levels and you get up into some smoother air, then you will be prepared for the worst.

Once you have climbed away, into the bright blue sky and head further north, hopefully it will be smoother and you can relax and enjoy your flight
fluffymitten likes this.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:15 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,119
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post
Hi

im flying LHR -IAD tomorrow 11.30am, forecast is 45mph winds, Iím not great with turbulence, should I be worried?
Indeed thanks to Karfa i now look at the metar taf forecasts which doesn't look too bad...particularly due to the wind being on runway heading. Also with a big plane of course it's much better than on say a 319.
Abstract1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:49 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


what forecast are you looking at? The airport area forecast shows winds around 15kts during your departure time tomorrow.
just the BBC but that has it in mph. I donít know if 15kts is high or not
Bluesky30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:53 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,715
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post
just the BBC but that has it in mph. I donít know if 15kts is high or not
Does this help?
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:58 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Does this help?
thanks so much
Bluesky30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:05 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,608
It looks like itíll be worse on Saturday morning.

I can survive the bumpiness, but could the high winds with gusts up to 70 Km/h have an impact on schedule?
ringingup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 656
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post
Hi

im flying LHR -IAD tomorrow 11.30am, forecast is 45mph winds, Iím not great with turbulence, should I be worried?
are you the pilot?
pmiranda and drsh99 like this.
Lomapaseo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:32 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,355
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
are you the pilot?
Obviously not, but Lomapaseo you are obviously an a&&e.

Have a great flight Bluesky30. It’s been a pleasure answering your questions about the same flight I took 6 days ago, and I’ll be taking the same bird home when you land tomorrow. Don’t let people who make nasty facetious comments spoil FT for you,
Stormbel likes this.
aristoph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:13 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by aristoph View Post

Obviously not, but Lomapaseo you are obviously an a&&e.

Have a great flight Bluesky30. Itís been a pleasure answering your questions about the same flight I took 6 days ago, and Iíll be taking the same bird home when you land tomorrow. Donít let people who make nasty facetious comments spoil FT for you,
Thank you, and thanks for posting your food photos for me. Hope your flight is good coming home later today.

I have found this forum to be so helpful and welcoming, itís a shame a few can offer no help but just sarcasm but itís easy to ignore the minority.

I am not able to fly business very often so itís a real treat and the whole experience is exciting which to seasoned business travellers might seem strange!

Iím currently sat in the BA lounge with a glass of champagne and a spa treatment booked at 9am so all is good and Iím feeling more relaxed 😀



Bluesky30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:26 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post


Thank you, and thanks for posting your food photos for me. Hope your flight is good coming home later today.

I have found this forum to be so helpful and welcoming, itís a shame a few can offer no help but just sarcasm but itís easy to ignore the minority.

I am not able to fly business very often so itís a real treat and the whole experience is exciting which to seasoned business travellers might seem strange!

Iím currently sat in the BA lounge with a glass of champagne and a spa treatment booked at 9am so all is good and Iím feeling more relaxed 😀



That's the way to do it, enough bubbles sort out all kinds of bumpiness, tried and tested over a long time! 😊
Knodde is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread