Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

High winds at LHR tomorrow, should I be worried?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High winds at LHR tomorrow, should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Departing was fine this morning - wind straight down the runway and smooth in the climb too. Arrival into Manchester was a little sporty but nothing too bad. You’ll be fine - just enjoy a few glasses of bubbles and be sure to join the game of “hunt the nice wine” in Galleries South... they often seem to squirrel away a few bottles of Sancerre or something else nice in an obscure ice bucket somewhere.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think this point has been made yet: if it's a bit blustery at the take off point then the flight crew can generally minimise the impact on passengers and will often operate very quickly to get out of the bad stuff. It may be a bit more dramatic a take off, but the thrust and take off power means you are largely cutting through the turbulence (as you can see I know nothing about piloting an aircraft, but I know a fair bit about being a passenger, and that is definitely the impact - quite small and quite short). It's landing into wind on arrival that (a) can take a long time and (b) can cause a few wobbles.

In between you have the main flight itself where it is nearly impossible to say - from ground level forecasts - if the flight will be rocky or not, with the exception of going through thunder and lightning storms. So the rest of your flight could / should be quite pleasant, it's not like being at sea!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
are you the pilot?
That's a totally unnecessary remark for someone who is seriously worried.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:12 am

In the CCR at this moment, doesn't seem to be any weather delays.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold

Had this sign in the lounge about a week ago, however smooth take off and not bumpy at all, about wind direction as I learned at the time in this excelkent forum!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Knodde

Had this sign in the lounge about a week ago, however smooth take off and not bumpy at all, about wind direction as I learned at the time in this excelkent forum!
yes they have that sign today also. So far I’ve got an hours delay but thanks to reassurance from people on here I’m ok. I’ve had a massage in the south lounge and now in the B gates lounge. The fizz is helping also. I’m flying on the upper deck, no idea at all if that makes any difference or not to how it feels as I’ve never flown on the upper deck before!

I really do appreciate the nice, helpful and detailed replies
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:19 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Looking at the NATS tracks with forecasted turbulence by Jeppesen, you should have a smooth flight all the way, with the exception of possible light bumps for a short time at 66% of the crossing and during approach in Washington.
The yellow line are the tracks for Wesbound for today, the red dash area are forecasted turbulence due to the jet stream. As you can the tracks are planned to cross such an area, but it is quite small and the sign indicates Light turbulence. Also the stream is above IAD, so possible light bump as you get out of it during descent.

HMPS and BAECAddict like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.