FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Saying hello and new app info (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1960899-saying-hello-new-app-info.html)

DannyBoi8181 Mar 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Saying hello and new app info

Good Evening FlyerTalk People !

I have lurked here for a while before posting and love all the great information and tips on the forum, im currently heading for BAEC Bronze and should attain by June, which makes me happier than I like to admit ! I work as a mobile developer in the UK and am currently writing an iOS/Android app which will utilise BAEC API's along with Avios. It will allow people to search for flight deals per cabin class displaying tier points earned along with avios. I will also link with BAEC and notify of deals which will maximise tier points for attaining status without having you to do extensive research yourself ! (think tier point runs customised to your account requirements) Plus many more features that are currently in development. I won't go any further into detail as I appreciate this is not a platform for advertising, I just thought i'd ask what else all you frequent flyers would like to see in an application of this kind ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !

I look forward to being a part of the community !

lavajava Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello and Welcome,
Nice ideas. Do you have access to these APIs already? Seems there are a number of options to use NDC and looking here will certainly uncover where BAs own website is lacking.
If you were able to match some of ITA matrix' functionality in terms of finding appropriate tier point runs you would have some users here, especially if you are calculating and showing tier points as well. I wouldn't concentrate on anything commercially available/available in a good way thru their own app.
And perhaps one word of caution, there is a website called baredemptionfinder (now rewardflightfinder) that uses APIs to pull award flights however that was down a while ago for a significant amount of time due to an API issue so there are potential risks to things changing.
finally is this a commercial plan or something you are just doing as a side project?
all the best with it.

lavajava Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Functionality overview...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...63b09bc447.jpg

lavajava Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Deleted

corporate-wage-slave Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DannyBoi8181 (Post 30887663)
Good Evening FlyerTalk People !

And good evening to you DannyBoi8181, it's great to see you here and and I hope that we will see more of you. I'm sure you are aware of
https://rewardflightfinder.com/
which is an independent App which has quickly established a niche in the e-market. Though I'm not sure whether that e-market is big enough to make a success of this, the ability to link what people have in terms of Avios and what they can do with it would be an interesting development. The one I would like is some notification/email when (e.g.) a POUG is offered or a price changes. But the one thing people really miss is the ability to track any changes to existing bookings. Welcome on board.

Tentatively Mar 15, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 30887809)
Hello and Welcome,
Nice ideas. Do you have access to these APIs already? Seems there are a number of options to use NDC and looking here will certainly uncover where BAs own website is lacking.

I've looked into this myself. The API's that BA provide seem to be lacking when it comes to BAEC - hxxps://developer.iairgroup.com/british_airways
I paid for one month of baredemptionfinder and quickly realised I could do this myself, being a DevOps engineer at Booking.com

There's already an open source tool on Github called flightplan that allows for searching of award inventory across multiple airlines. - hxxps://github.com/flightplan-tool/flightplan
I've set this up in GCP to check for my specified award date range for BA every 30 minutes, which gives me a leg up over people paying for the BA Redemption Finder, which only searches every hour.

I believe BA Redemption Finder charges £3 a month per account for it's premium tier. If you can provide what that provides and further functionality around what you've described with a nice UX, I see no reason why you couldn't compete.

Send me a PM if you'd like to collaborate, it's been a while since I was a developer but I'm more than willing to help out.

lavajava Mar 15, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Tentatively (Post 30890906)
I've looked into this myself. The API's that BA provide seem to be lacking when it comes to BAEC - hxxps://developer.iairgroup.com/british_airways
I paid for one month of baredemptionfinder and quickly realised I could do this myself, being a DevOps engineer at Booking.com

There's already an open source tool on Github called flightplan that allows for searching of award inventory across multiple airlines. - hxxps://github.com/flightplan-tool/flightplan
I've set this up in GCP to check for my specified award date range for BA every 30 minutes, which gives me a leg up over people paying for the BA Redemption Finder, which only searches every hour.

I believe BA Redemption Finder charges £3 a month per account for it's premium tier. If you can provide what that provides and further functionality around what you've described with a nice UX, I see no reason why you couldn't compete.

Send me a PM if you'd like to collaborate, it's been a while since I was a developer but I'm more than willing to help out.

I am not the OP but thanks for the extra info. I just completed development of an app in my spare time for our local community centre (web app not IOS/Andriod) so could be looking for something interesting in the future.. I am also not a developer anymore, but how hard can it be eh?

Tentatively Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 30887809)
Hello and Welcome,
If you were able to match some of ITA matrix' functionality in terms of finding appropriate tier point runs you would have some users here, especially if you are calculating and showing tier points as well. I wouldn't concentrate on anything commercially available/available in a good way thru their own app.
And perhaps one word of caution, there is a website called baredemptionfinder (now rewardflightfinder) that uses APIs to pull award flights however that was down a while ago for a significant amount of time due to an API issue so there are potential risks to things changing.
finally is this a commercial plan or something you are just doing as a side project?
all the best with it.

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 30891037)
I am not the OP but thanks for the extra info. I just completed development of an app in my spare time for our local community centre (web app not IOS/Andriod) so could be looking for something interesting in the future.. I am also not a developer anymore, but how hard can it be eh?

Sorry, I was replying to the OP and your post! :D