Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very odd fare rule

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

Also within same booking class a lower fare is allowed.
But it's not, according to my agent..That was exactly my issue in my real life situation regarding this. It was A class to A class...In fact the very same fare basis exactly.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Abstract1
So then you do think that in my example or LAX/PHL, BA will not allow you to change your ticket?
No i mean think there would always be an F class that was more expensive.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'm having an issue with my travel agent over the rerouting of a fare. Apparently according to this rule 'NEW TICKET VALUE MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS AND MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED,' means that i can't change to the same fare basis on a different destination as the fare is actually lower than what i paid and therefore the fare must be upgraded to have a higher value. Am i crazy or is this crazy??? To add context its A class and the first flight is flown. This is for the return sector. Any help from you pros would be appreciated!
I read this as if the new fare is lower, you won't get a refund of the difference...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sealink
I read this as if the new fare is lower, you won't get a refund of the difference...
No - such a rule means simply what it says - the new fare purchased must be higher

There are other wordings which allow for a change with no refund if new fare is cheaper
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
So then you do think that in my example or LAX/PHL, BA will not allow you to change your ticket?
In this example you will be able to change as you'll still be using the LHR-LAX fares. The return will simply be rerouted as LAX-PHL-LHR.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
But what if you want to open-jaw it (LHR-LAX//PHL-LHR), making your own way to PHL?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you don't like the rules, don't buy a ticket with these rules.
If it is a contract with a consumer, however, it is highly doubtful that a bizarre clause in the small print that a consumer would be unlikely to expect and has not specifically be drawn to their attention would be regarded as fair. There is a high chance that it would be regarded as lacking the transparency required to be enforceable.,
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
If it is a contract with a consumer, however, it is highly doubtful that a bizarre clause in the small print that a consumer would be unlikely to expect and has not specifically be drawn to their attention would be regarded as fair. There is a high chance that it would be regarded as lacking the transparency required to be enforceable.,
I understand your legal point, but this is not a bizarre clause, nor is it in small print. It seems to me clearly part of the fare rules.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
but this is not a bizarre clause
really? Let us suppose that you speak to average consumers rather than FT-reading fare rule geeks: if you buy a changeable but not refundable ticket, the average consumer would not be particularly surprised that, if you change to a cheaper ticket, you do not get your money back. OTOH, I think that most consumers would be surprised and would not understand that they cannot be sold a ticket which cost less than their original ticket even if they do not get any money back and that they are instead required to buy a ticket which is at least as expensive as the original one.For the average consumer, such a rule would make no sense whatsoever as the airline does not lose money by exchanging your more expensive ticket against a less expensive one without refunding you anything.

nor is it in small print. It seems to me clearly part of the fare rules.
Fare rules and terms and conditions ARE the small print. Now, if the rule appeared in the short summary of the rules that are displayed before you press the button to complete the sale, that would be a different story (and even then, given how unexpected the rule is, I think it would have to be clearly and unambiguously explained as the potential for misunderstanding the rule as merely meaning that no refund is allowed is big).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.