Very odd fare rule

Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
I had the same issue recently and was quoted over Ł10k to simply change the date of the return portion of a flight. I did manage to find a way around it, but it is a particularly odd rule.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:52 am

The thing is from my perspective it is a rule that is on a lot (majority maybe) of fares it just doesnt come into affect much as often fares are more expensive when people change.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Same fare basis, same restrictions, swapping BOS for JFK I believe. New fare was only about 20€ lower, but couldn't have it.

Offline corporate agency.
I mean surely this is just ridiculous..It means it could never end.. Imagine you were just changing to the following day from BOS....And imagine the fare on the fare basis you were on dropped by 1 EUR since you purchased the ticket. Does that mean you then have to up the fare to a higher R class or even D and pay hundreds more????
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Abstract1
I did not manage to fix this problem and was forced to pay the additional fare they were charging. I had 0 choice as i had to change the ticket or buy a new one. I got hold of the fare rules and whilst it did have this provision of 'if lower then ignore residual etc etc.' they simply rubbished this and said it didn't apply and they had to go by the most restrictive rule which in penalties says 'ticket must be equal or higher'. and they also say that any more changes will need to be to higher fares still!! So i do wonder what happens when we get to the highest possible A class fare in existence. Probably they then say no changes allowed. Why are some agents so clueless....?
It rather sounds like the agents were exactly right, as we have already posted above. If the rule is that you can only change to an equal or higher fare, that is the rule. The "if lower, ignore residual" provision can only apply if you are allowed to change to a lower fare to begin with, as you sometimes are.

If you were to get to the highest possible A class fare and if (that's a big "if" there) any further change is still subject to "equal or higher", it is almost certain that you could still change to a higher F class fare. So no, it would not mean no changes allowed. It is not the agent who is being clueless here.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean surely this is just ridiculous..It means it could never end.. Imagine you were just changing to the following day from BOS....And imagine the fare on the fare basis you were on dropped by 1 EUR since you purchased the ticket. Does that mean you then have to up the fare to a higher R class or even D and pay hundreds more????
If you don't like the rules, don't buy a ticket with these rules.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you don't like the rules, don't buy a ticket with these rules.
Clever and useful input there, thanks!

Ok then riddle me this. Mr Globaliser buys the highest A fare available, ANN7C0S2 to LAX for Ł13100 + tax, and this fare clearly has the 'equal or higher' rule. But mid trip, Mr Globaliser decides actually he must fly back to London from PHL instead...But oh no, the maximum fare to PHL in F is Ł11517 + tax!!!

Last edited by Abstract1; Mar 16, 2019 at 3:23 am Reason: Test for Mr Globaliser
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok then riddle me this. Mr Globaliser buys the highest A fare available, ANN7C0S2 to LAX for Ł13100 + tax, and this fare clearly has the 'equal or higher' rule. But mid trip, Mr Globaliser decides actually he must fly back to London from PHL instead...But oh no, the maximum fare to PHL in F is Ł11517 + tax!!!
If you want also to re-route to one on which the fares are generally cheaper, and your original fare imposes the "equal or higher" restriction in the case of every change, then you may get bitten by that; it's then a change not allowed by the fare rules. There are, after all, plenty of changes that fare rules don't allow: for BAEC FT purposes, most notoriously ex-UK I class long-haul fares. You can, if you're prepared to do the work beforehand rather than relying on poorly-informed personal assumptions. find out what you're buying before you buy it.

In that specific example, if I had wanted the freedom to make a change from LHR-LAX-LHR to LHR-LAX//PHL-LHR, I could have originally bought F1N0C0S0 at Ł15,438 + TFC. I would have had to weigh up the pros and cons of paying the extra Ł2,300 for that particular kind of flexibility; or at least I would have been paying the cheaper fare knowing that there would be restrictions and inflexibilities that might prevent me from subsequently making certain kinds of change. Or, in other words, I could pay extra to have the phrase "I want" be the governing factor.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Ok so you agree that in my example you are stuck. I would imagine that most people...myself included as i do always do it, would say to an agent..

Can my ticket be rerouted mid trip?

They say 'Yes it can'.

So. to use my example, is it then allowable to say to me when i am in LAX...actually sorry now the conditions are such that actually you cannot change the ticket any more to return from PHL. you can only change it to SAN or DEN etc that has a higher fare available. Ie we will dictate as to where you can fly back from, even though everywhere is available. Do you honestly believe that BA would say this is correct and not allow you to return from PHL?

In contrast, and in utter ridiculousness, had I have bought a cheaper ticket then this would be no problem.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:44 am

Ok so you agree that in my example you are stuck. I would imagine that most people...myself included as i do always do it, would say to an agent..

Can my ticket be rerouted mid trip?

They say 'Yes it can'.

So. to use my example, is it then allowable to say to me when i am in LAX...actually sorry now the conditions are such that actually you cannot change the ticket any more to return from PHL. you can only change it to SAN or DEN etc that has a higher fare available. Ie we will dictate as to where you can fly back from, even though everywhere is available. Do you honestly believe that BA would say this is correct and not allow you to return from PHL?

In contrast, and in utter ridiculousness, had I have bought a cheaper ticket then this would be no problem.
Ive never seen a passenger prevented from doing a change because there wasnt a higher fare. Ultimately you will probably only get this rule on classes in club maybe D R I or A in First and for WTP E and T and anything below Y potentially in traveller. You would always have F, J , W or Y. Of course the change might be extortionately expensive but i have never seen an example where BA said no there isnt a more expensive fare so you cant make the change.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

Ive never seen a passenger prevented from doing a change because there wasnt a higher fare. Ultimately you will probably only get this rule on classes in club maybe D R I or A in First and for WTP E and T and anything below Y potentially in traveller. You would always have F, J , W or Y. Of course the change might be extortionately expensive but i have never seen an example where BA said no there isnt a more expensive fare so you cant make the change.
Exactly, it simply wouldn't happen, despite what Globaliser thinks. There is no way they would prevent you from changing purely as there is no higher fare.....The rule simply could not be enforced....and therefore shouldn't be enforced (within same booking class) for lower tickets. It's not right to enforce or not enforce it as and when it suits.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Exactly, it simply wouldn't happen, despite what Globaliser thinks. There is no way they would prevent you from changing purely as there is no higher fare.....The rule simply could not be enforced....and therefore shouldn't be enforced (within same booking class) for lower tickets. It's not right to enforce or not enforce it as and when it suits.
No i meant that ive never came across a circumstance as far as im aware where it happened that someone wanted to change and couldnt get a higher fare, not that the rule was only applied sometimes. Also within same booking class a lower fare is allowed. It is applied strictly as ive had changes where it was as little as Ł2 and i had to price as a higher fare.

Last edited by Anonba; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rule simply could not be enforced....and therefore shouldn't be enforced (within same booking class) for lower tickets. It's not right to enforce or not enforce it as and when it suits.
That would not be what BA is doing in that situation. If BA has a policy of "We won't enforce this rule if the change that the passenger wants to make is prevented only by the absence of any equal or higher fare on the new route", that does not amount to enforcing the rule only when it suits.

You can't demand that the rule always be ignored simply because there are some extreme cases in which the rule produces an undesirable result that might result in a waiver. That really would be taking the "I don't like this" argument to unreasonable lengths.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
...imagine the fare on the fare basis you were on dropped by 1 EUR since you purchased the ticket...
That wouldn’t matter for changing the return, as the historical fare would be used and therefore would still be equal.

It IS a frustrating rule, and no one is really defending it; we’re just explaining how it works, and what the alternatives are.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA

That wouldn’t matter for changing the return, as the historical fare would be used and therefore would still be equal.
Yes fair point i didn't consider that.
JAXBA and Anonba like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That would not be what BA is doing in that situation. If BA has a policy of "We won't enforce this rule if the change that the passenger wants to make is prevented only by the absence of any equal or higher fare on the new route", that does not amount to enforcing the rule only when it suits.
So then you do think that in my example or LAX/PHL, BA will not allow you to change your ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.