Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vote for the worst and best lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Putting aside the likes of Abuja...

My experience with BA's lounges is rather limited honestly - I'm generally in AA ones. I find the BA lounge in Geneva to be surprisingly sub-par, given the clientele I assume it attracts. For my favorite, I might go out on a limb and choose the T3 Flounge for the quiet.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
I Don't have the widest experience but from the ones I have been in:-
Best- Virgin LHR clubhouse
Worst - Bangkok Airlines - Luang Prabang (admittedly, free for all passengers and better than the terminal (This was before the new terminal opened five or so years ago) Bangkok airlines are fantastic however so I wont knock them for the free lounge.
Totally unfair to compare a free lounge with regular lounges, those are two different categories. Still needed to mention that Bangkok Airways (not Airlines) is the only airline I know which offers this service, nice gesture!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA silver,
Flying PEN to HKG today I was disappointed about the negative reviews above. I can only assume they refer to the old MH lounge from years ago. Now sitting in the Cathay lounge and it is perfectly adequate with friendly staff. Not really a lounge but my vote for one of the best places to wait for a flight is the cafe overlooking the beach at Barra airport. Walkout to the plane and not even security scanning anymore. Just like the good old days of flying!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
My current predicament is a soft landing to Bronze, and primarily short haul Europe - but very frequently (Silver again soon). So I've got Priority Pass.

BEST so far: Rome PP lounge next to BAs - considerably larger and better product than BAs. Some may argue that's as it should be for a paid lounge. Fabulous shower rooms included. Cook to order kitchen plus buffet Plenty of space and views.

WORST so far: LHR T5. Very sadly as its my home airport. Pokey, very crowded, very limited food offer. Pop in, grab a bite, sit outside in the terminal.

Would be interested in views on best PP lounge on the BA network?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC
I've only used J and paid lounges.
Best EK at DXB and LH at Newark. I like LGW South too.
Worst: Dublin DAA by a way.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
MAN, always quiet, excellent views, friendly staff. T5B at LHR clear winner in T5 so far. Gin bar was shut in QF T3 when I went there, so did CX instead, very nice.

PHX " The Club" was in a very small room, food almost none existent, barman v helpful though.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Emirates, SAA, Kenya Airways, Hilton, Radisson, IHG group
I find JNB and CPT a bit of a mare because they are really too small/too hot for the number of people.

BA at DXB, given how impressive the Emirates lounges are, really leaves something to be desired.

Good ones, Hong Kong, Gatwick, Entebbe (no longer fly there direct but it was a brilliant lounge, positioned looking directly over the runway)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Best lounge: one that I can enter when I would like to use it and is quiet, receives natural daylight and ideally has some fresh air (so terrace or outside area that is not air conditioned to my inconvenience), is not crowded, has plenty of (varying) seating options (so not just tables with canteen style chairs), has some food and drink options and ideally with another person (that I like) with which to share/appreciate the travel experience with, regardless of brand or location. I could stretch my definition to include some very small regional airport departure areas which as they were not busy and were pleasant, they were enjoyable. ^

Worst lounge: one I can't enter for whatever reason (including not having status, not having the card with me, not flying in that class) when I'd desperately love to in order to escape the crowds, the noise, and/or people face timing or yelling into mobiles.

Or instead of access issues, on an 'I'll take a look and leave again' basis, the usual dark room with no natural light or potentially worse, lit up very brightly with harsh direct lighting and is in a basement somewhere that is cramped, too hot/cold, has several people talking loudly, has a TV tuned to a channel no one is listening to at too loud a volume setting and the food looks like it is the remains of a student convention 5 minutes before closing and finally with some drinks but the choice being so vulgar in quality one would rather pass...

Been to plenty of the first category, stood in front of plenty of the second and left many of the last.

The best ones are ones that have pleasantly surprised me and put me at ease for the remainder of my journey!

Safe travels everyone.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ziggy1
I find JNB and CPT a bit of a mare because they are really too small/too hot for the number of people.

BA at DXB, given how impressive the Emirates lounges are, really leaves something to be desired.
I liked the CPT lounge (well designed, good food ) but agree that it can get get busy. As a GCH and F passenger, I was slightly disappointed that there was no F section.

The DXB lounge is very much better than the old one (food quantity and quality in particular and also a F section) that I have to state this here. While I am also sure that it is far less impressive than the EK lounges, EK should be amazing at their home airport,
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Best BA/OW:
  1. Big soft spot for the MEL F lounge. Staff are always awesome.
  2. BA SIN Lounge for the very good showers and staff.
  3. GIB for the outdoor terrace and view.
  4. MH First lounge at KUL - Quiet and lovely staff
  5. BHD - Excellent for a small airport
Worst BA/OW
  1. BEY - The one BA use. Tiny, horrible food.
  2. SYD J Lounge - Rammed and dirty whenever I've been
  3. PEN Domestic (MH) - Windowless room with rubbish food/drink
  4. MCT - The old terminal. Now replaced by the new terminal.

Other mentions for the EY first lounge at AUH much prefer it to the EK DXB first experience, the Skyteam lounge at LHR T4 has awesome showers and decent food. The SATS lounge at T2 SIN is a massive disappointment
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ceej123
Best BA/OW:

GIB for the outdoor terrace and view.
Yes, a very nice lounge. The Terrace with the sofa/chairs is great!

Likely to be busy in the very near future....
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
In terms of utility, I really like the BA T5 B gate GC. It's usually quiet-ish, and there is a big table accommodating a lot of people which reduces the likelihood of not being able to find somewhere to sit.

Non-OW, I really like the SQ Private Room in SIN. Never, ever crowded, very spacious, and good food.
The only gripes is that the loo flush is really loud and if you sit anywhere near the loo, you can her it! It sounds like the thunder.

The worst... It used to be CX lounge at CDG in the old days before the new lounge was set up. Quite frequently the only food available was pot noodles, and there were far too many people loudly guzzling it (I don't like eating noises). Yet nowadays the new one there is one of the better lounges. The AF one that BA used to use there used to be really bad - the only item available with calories was sugar cubes. No, really... no food in other words.

OTP before the terminal refurb used to be one of the worst too. There was essentially no food there but crisps and wafers. The new one still only has crisps and wafers (actually they now have yoghurt as well) but at least the environment is a lot better.

Someone complaining about DBV, trust me, that's a BIG improvement compared to the old the DBV lounge!

Non-OW, I very much dislike almost any ANA business lounges. They often do not have enough seats, and a lot of people's behaviour at the buffet leaves a lot to be desired (far more so than JL lounges), and the food barely changes through the year.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Both ANA and JAL allow passengers into the first class lounges bases on status ANA for their own Diamond members, JAL for Emerald members. You will also find the horror of having non first class passengers in the Cathay Pacific first class lounges, Qantas first class lounges, BA Galleries F in T3 (Galleries F in T5 is really an Emerald lounge) and quite a few others Even the famed Lufthansa First Class terminal will see HON Circle members in economy class and business being let in.
I think the problem is the sheer number of passengers entitled to use the ANA, JL, BA, QF lounges etc.

LH First Class terminal and CCR do not get so crowded because of the small number of non-F passengers who are entitled to use it. SQ Private Room never gets crowded for a very good reason.

It's all about the capacity matching the number of users who are entitled to use it, or not.

Originally Posted by navylad
Worst Centrair Airline Lounge in NGO by far.
I don't bother with it. I go through security late-ish and go straight to the gate. There is often nowhere to sit at that lounge, but generally plenty of seats at the gate.

Originally Posted by ceej123
[*]BA SIN Lounge for the very good showers and staff.
The staff members there (and BA check-in at SIN) are delightful!! The shower lady is really lovely too.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 16, 2019 at 10:09 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
In terms of utility, I really like the BA T5 B gate GC. It's usually quiet-ish, and there is a big table accommodating a lot of people which reduces the likelihood of not being able to find somewhere to sit.

I think the problem is the sheer number of passengers entitled to use the ANA, JL, BA, QF lounges etc.

LH First Class terminal and CCR do not get so crowded because of the small number of non-F passengers who are entitled to use it. SQ Private Room never gets crowded for a very good reason.

It's all about the capacity matching the number of users who are entitled to use it, or not.

I don't bother with it. I go through security late-ish and go straight to the gate. There is often nowhere to sit at that lounge, but generally plenty of seats at the gate.

I also very much dislike almost any ANA business lounges. They often do not have enough seats, and a lot of people's behaviour at the buffet leaves a lot to be desired (far more so than JL lounges), and the food barely changes through the year.
Of course it is a capacity issue, which for the ANA Suite Lounges in Haneda still makes me wonder why the one by gate 113 or so, is not open in the evenings. They have the capacity to alleviate the issue, yet they don't. The LH F terminal is usually quiet, as few connecting passengers go there, but the Munich F lounge can get fairly busy.

Yeah the behaviour at buffets leaves somewhat to be improved in the ANA lounges. Though not as bad as some of the food stations in the TK lounge in Istanbul, you'd be excused for thinking people had not seen food in weeks.

For those reasons the ANA lounge rank pretty low on my list of preferred lounges. The Galleries F in T3 probably ranks the lowest (of airline hub lounges, contract lounges is another story), I appreciate that it is relatively quiet, but as I usually came for the late JAL flight, I always wondered if they ever cleaned anything during the day. Cathay and Qantas have now spared me going there again.

My top lounge is hard to put, I like the Frankfurt F terminal, but apart from the seclusion and the Porsche ride to the plane I find it less appealing than it could be. The Al Safwa lounge is very nice, but it is almost eerily quiet these days, and the menu seems to have taken a dive since the beginning, though the sleeping rooms are a big plus. One of my absolute favourite lounge services is the shoeshine service in the JAL F lounges. But especially in Narita they need far more space in the main building lounge to make it less of a crush Will be interesting to see what they come up with after the renovation, though I don't have too high hopes.
​​​
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Best: probably CX J in T3, or the CCR if I have access.

Worst: GVA - feels like a furnance and incredibly overcrowded.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Best: CX Pier F, QF HKG, QF SYD F (hon mention also to MEL), QR LHR, BA TXL (sentimental reasons)

worst: CX MEL - what a dump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.