Vote for the worst and best lounge

Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ThePointsChaser
I'm not sure about the worst lounge overall but two of the worst lounge experiences I've had recently, have been at SJC and MCO. Coincidentally, I believe they are operated by the same operator.

For me what absolutely makes a lounge experience horrible is how packed they allow it to be. On every occasion visiting the MCO and SJC lounges, there has barely ever been any space to sit down! Food and drink options have never been that great either.
That would probably be "The Club at SJC" in that case! I have been there too (an extended stay when a TP run with AA went horribly wrong) and there is definitely room for improvement. There were three different soups on offer, but not a lot else other than cheese cubes and crisps. However, I think that the food offerings are dictated to a large extent by the airline. For example "The Club at LAS" never has any hot food (except perhaps soup) for the BA274 departure to LHR but if you're there earlier in the day when the VS flight to LGW is scheduled to depart then there's an abundance of hot food including a reasonable curry and pulled pork sliders.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA gold
My favourite is SYD international flounge. My favourite BA lounge... struggling to think here, probably NCL for familiar staff and being able to see when the BA plane pulls up at gate 3.

My worst used to be TIP and DAR (joint contenders) but they are not BA destinations any more. So I'd probably say the LHR T5 lounges - those showers and toilets are getting pretty grim, just what I want to see after my BNE-SYD-LHR flights.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:39 pm

Not as much experience as many here but here goes:

UVF was pretty grim in my opinion, LED is also totally void of any character/atmosphere - both have appalling food

Most enjoyable for me was JFK T7 Galleries, probably as it was my first lounge experience and was the result of a surprise upgrade from WTP at check in.

I don't think NCE is that bad, I would have been very grateful for a similar offering in Catania (Joint worst BA airport with Chambery) as we waited for our delayed flight last summer.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mordac
Worse: Faro, hands down the worst lounge I've ever seen, although I a aware my sample size is much smaller than lots of posters here.

Best: I know it's no CX lounge, but I've always been impressed with the BHD one. The direct boarding from the lounge is hard to beat. And the staff is always great.
Best: Totally agree, love BHD lounge, great staff and direct boarding is very nice.

Worst: BA using the Plaza Premium lounge in Toronto
Came up in the lift and couldn't even find the Lounge, no signage at all. Had to ask at Plaza Premium Lounge if this was for BA Travellers.
Canteen like seating for diners and rows of soft chairs, reminded me of a nursing home !!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Best Turkish IST CIP lounge, 3 weeks to go and Ataturk airport will be closed, but indeed often overcrowded.
Will land new IST airport 27 april, seems IST will have 3 international and 1 domestic lounges, 1*A lounge a biz lounge and an executive lounge (who ever might have access)
Worst BA lounge BRU
Really bad lounge Aspire VIE, Montreal National Bank lounge probably the most crowded and dirties i have seen.
Need to add the BKK Thai Orchid lounge on D gates (the very narrow long one), the other Thai lounges are just OK
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Oneworld really but best would be Singapore (for the blissful showers) and worst Bordeaux.

Currently in Kathmandu, where the lounge is surprisingly good given the airport is a bit shabby.

Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'm nowhere near as well travelled as some here but here goes.

Best - EDI and the LHR CCR. At EDI the staff, cleanliness and ambience is excellent, very consistent and very light inside. I've been lucky to have experienced the CCR quite a lot in the past few years and it feels very homely.

Worst - The old MRU lounge

Another worst is the CX Flounge at T3 LHR. ALL Flyertalkers should really, really avoid this lounge so I can have it all to myself
superweak and Mordac like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Amazed at the lack of CCR mentions. The staff working make it the best for me everytime
​​​​​​
Worst hmmmm probably DBV.
TonyHancock and woglet86 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Best: CX The Pier First HKG

Worst: BA Galleries in ATH. What a dump.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by teledude
Amazed at the lack of CCR mentions. The staff working make it the best for me everytime
​​​​​​
Worst hmmmm probably DBV.
I'll check DBV out in a couple of hours 😃
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Worst: a few contenders. Penang was grim. The older AA lounge at PHX also gets a mention. Not OW but I still shudder at the memories of the Styal lounge at MAN T2 from 6 years ago. That really was grim. I'm also not a huge fan of the MAN BA lounge. Good views but that is about where it stops for me. Showers have closed and the last few time I have been in there, the PCs were not working.

Best: I also like the CCR (my biggest issue is trying to stop the bar staff topping up my LPGS). But for an overnight flight connection Al Safwa is awesome. The private bedrooms are a delight. My gripes with the place is that it needs more customers for some atmosphere and they need to sort the wifi.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Well for me

Best BA: LHR First
Worst BA: Well now the late unlamented JFK First is no lounger with us, not sure

Best OW: Here is where I find it tough:
1. QF First in Sydney with the Neil Perry Dining, especially the Salt 'n' Pepper Calimari
2=. CX First in the Pier & AA Flagship First at JFK (The staff are really good and make this place great, though sadly the hamburger has gone for now)
4. QF First LAX, again great staff and a really good Hamburger (But what is it with Aussies and Beetroot?)
5= QF Hong Kong Lounge, again, great staff (incidentally managed by Accor) but food is not so good for a QF lounge, QR Al-Mourjain in Doha, and BA Galleries First in LHR
Worst OW.
1. Former BA JFK First
2. Horrid Oryx Lounge at Doha where the elite proles are banished to
3. CX outsourced to China Eastern 77 Lounge in Pudong. Food is absolute crap, constantly full, and rather sour staff
4. V1/V2 Lounge used by KA in Kunming
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Worst: For me, the admirals club at AUS, small and always packed, also it’s an admirals club.
(dis)honerable mention: the Flounge at ORD, tiny, always packed, no food, also it’s at ORD

Best: Qantas first lounge at SYD, big, airy, great food and views.
Honerable mention: BOS I love the new lounge, good food, good staff, boarding from the lounge.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:21 am

Best overall - hands down the CX Pier F lounge at HKG

BA's best? Hard to justify objectively but I always have a great experience at IAD. Excellent staff, and love the apron views from the dining back towards the old Dulles terminal building.

Worst? TXL (it being landside is a major component), LIS or IBZ.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Best:
Thai 1st at BKK, for the 1 hour full body massage in the massive spa rooms.
Al Safwa at DOH, for the food and great wines on the ground where they can be appreciated.
Pier first at HKK, has a lovely feel to it it in the bar & lounge. Not keen on the large U shaped seating arrangement in the restaurant, its a bit open.
Etihad 1st at AUH, novelty of a cigar lounge.....
Virgin Clubhouse at LHR, its a great J lounge.

Worst: I'm sure there are lots of terrible network lounges but I generally go to main hubs.
Budapest, sharing a room with cleaners accessories.
Nairobi, what lounge last time I was there? I know its safari territory, but a tent!!
LHR galleries, was a zoo when I was in there with a few friend, should have been in a tent.
Any domestic in India.

They all just public transport waiting rooms and generally 1-2 hours is the absolute most we have to endure them for & most of the time its better than the options.

Happy travels

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.